New Member - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

yo, Pv here. bought an 02 black 919 a few days ago with almost 19k miles for 3 grand. apparantly has two bros single side exhaust with matching storage can, power commander, some unknown flyscreen, and who knows what else. the bike was repossessed (i feel bad for the previous owner) before i got my hands on it.

so far i gotta say, this bike is just an absolute kick to ride. i have an 89 honda shadow vlx that i am currently in my 2nd year of modifying, and recently sold a 250 ninja that got totaled out due to the chain breaking while riding (that was a fun bike as well!).

i hope to get knowledgeable about this bike and clearly i have a lot to learn. are the two bros exhaust good? i need to figure out how to hook up to the power commander and see if it has any maps. its running rich down low (i'm getting a lot of popping), and seems to have some idle issues. once bike warms up the idle surges slightly between 1900 and 1500, getting really annoying, and more so for a fuel injected bike.

i commute daily, rain or shine, so i researched this bike a fair bit after seeing the price at the dealership (including this website) and i just want to say thanks for the wealth of info! best 3 grand i've spent in years and i'm a poor college student so this really suits me. now i just need to learn how not to use most of the power available to me otherwise i'll get my first speeding ticket soon

i'll have to check and see if the flopper mod has been done. what other mods are there that i should check for and or read up on? sorry for the newb questions, i tried the search function and apparently i havent figured out how to use it yet

any 919 owners in the portland, oregon area?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Post up some pics so we can see and help identify if we recognize it.

post #3 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

thanks Rip, my sentiments exactly
and welcome Pvster

post #4 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

lets see... sike lives up there.... ragdoll lives somewhere up near there... there are several guys *(and gals i'm sure) up in the great rainy pnw area...

post #5 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
CG

post #6 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Welcome!
Sounds like a sweet ride.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Sike

Congrats and Welcome!

There are several of us in the Seattle area, but I only remember hearing of one person in Oregon (I believe Eastern Oregon).

post #8 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Great purchase and welcome..

Same with Sike, only one in OR and I don't remember the name.

post #9 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post
Great purchase and welcome..

Same with Sike, only one in OR and I don't remember the name.
Hey, once the snow melts we could meet up in Cougar and ride the East side of Mt Saint Helens (one of the best motorcycle roads on earth, tons of corners and very few cops, mid-week).

post #10 of 25 Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
MAM Customs

Hello and welcome.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #11 of 25 Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

thanks guys! love this forum. thanks for the leads as well, brilliant sticky thread there!

looking forward to hitting mt. saint helens as i havent done so yet!

working on the pix : )

anyone have any clue relating to the idle surge issue? i didnt see anyone mentioning any sort of idle issue.

i'm having an interesting time making adjustments to this bike. i find myself goosing the throttle alot (is that normal? lol). i'm in love with the exhaust note. its got that burble at idle just begging to be let loose. she sounds aggressive on the freeway but howls whenever i snap the throttle open. lordy i'm gonna get a speeding ticket or reckless driving just for accelerating to speed so damn fast lol! also, while she handles good, i feel alot less feedback from the front end compared to the ninja. i feel like i'm gonna have the front end slide out from under me whenever i take a corner. i havent had time to look and see what brand the tires are yet.

i have aftermarket turn signals from what i know of. i dont feel safe with the rear signals as they are tucked inbetween the pipes so people from the side cant see them. that is a major concern for me, any way i can fix that or add to it? i dont see where else turn signals can be mounted.

where do i find a usb cord for the power commander? i have the usb version (score!), found the simpson/two bros map and want to upload it. found the link for software, but no usb cable lol.

post #12 of 25 Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

and ole usb cable will work... the one you use for your blackberry is good enough..*(if you have a blackberry that is)...

but a plain jane usb cable is all you need... i have 4323545 laying around here in boxes if you believe mary

post #13 of 25 Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
looking forward to hitting mt. saint helens as i havent done so yet!

When it is time, you will need to ride over to Stevenson (Washington side of Columbia River), and head north from there. The last 10 or so miles before the turn to Cougar has some of the best corners you will ever find and beautiful pavement!

post #14 of 25 Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Gets censored

Pick up some f4i forks, you can get them cheap on ebay and it makes a world of difference on your washy front end. Those non adjustable forks in my experience are horrible.

post #15 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

hi from pdx

congts!

i m pdx 9ers.....let me know if you wanna meet or hang around!

post #16 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

hey akscare, whats up? yeah lets meet up for sure! student at PSU.

hmmm, the f4i swap is tempting, must resist... i'm broke right now lol. besides, i need to figure out the basics first such as this idle surge issue that i'm having.

finally! pix as promised lol.

post #17 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nice bike. Don't you also need a ummm.....plate for the bike?

Spoiler:

post #18 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I feel like i recognize that setup... Could it have belonged to an WT'er in the past?

Spoiler:
post #19 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Tirone

congrats and welcome ...... I am new 9-er too ......got my bike a month ago.....she is a beauty.....interesting installation of the rear turning signals....looks like snake bite.....enjoy and be safe

post #20 of 25 Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Nice bike. Don't you also need a ummm.....plate for the bike?
plates are in the mail

i hate the rear turn signals, people cant see them from the sides. so i'm thinkin of leavin them but also gettin an intergrated tail/brake/turn light to help increase visibility.

as for front signals, changing to leds for sure.

any ideas on the idle surge issue? happens whenever i idle now.

post #21 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

any ideas on the idle surge issue? happens whenever i idle now.
vacuum leak.... check and see if the flapper valve on the intake snorkle was disconnected *(also known as the flapper mod) and see if the hose was plugged... *(a golf tee works great)...

then lift the tank and get someone to hold it and check see if any of the hoses from the pairs valves on top the valve cover are unhooked and leaking...

also what rpm is it idling at??

post #22 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

cheers for the tips pacojerte. i'll look into that over the weekend if it ever warms up. i'm jus havin too much fun suitin up and riding in the rain.

idle speed, seems to idle anywhere between 1200 and 1500, and then surges up to almost 2000.

post #23 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

flapper mod was not done, so i went ahead and did that since i was in there anyways. didnt have any golf tees or anything, but i had a bunch of zip ties, so i made quick work with the zip ties!

checked pair valves, everything checked out. hmmm. i wonder if i have fouled or bad plugs? i'm going to upload the simpsons map for the pcIII and see what is already loaded on there. i'll report back.

post #24 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

ok, found my roommate's blackberry usb cable and hooked up the PCIII. had the two bros map on there, but the variables between the simpson map and the two bros map were completely different.

still had surging issues so i went ahead and warmed up the bike, and noticed while the PCIII was plugged in, it was reporting an idle speed of 1500ish, surging all over the place. so i dropped it down to 1200ish, still surged like crazy, so then i started messing with the fuel mixture buttons and got low rpm on 0 bars, mid on 1 bar lean, high on 2 bars lean.

took it out for a ride, holy s**t.... i just about popped a wheelie without even tryin in 1st gear. caught me by complete surprise when i cracked the throttle open. (i've never done a wheelie and would like to avoid it). more performance i've noticed. flapper mod jus made it louder apparently lol.

idle STILL surges but its much more manageable now, around 150ish according to the PCIII software. why cant i get this thing to even out and just hold a steady rpm?

post #25 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

If it was my issue, I would first pull the PCIII out of the loop and see what it does.

If it still varies like you are saying, check intently for a vacuum leak like Bar.. (sorry) Paco said before. But don't limit it to the flapper mod area.. Check every vacuum line with a pump.

And good luck with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode