New(ish) front brake pads squealing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Discen

New(ish) front brake pads squealing

Hey guys

i bought some new front and rear pads awhile back. I went cheap.... i know, dumb. I believe they are kevlar. Installed them. Tthey stop fine but the fronts squeak/squeal when stopping and when i let off the brake i get a bit of a humming sound for 10-20 seconds (im guessing the humming goes away after the pads are fully pushed away from the rotor)

I tried reseating/reinstalling them but no change in sound.

The weird thing is the rears using the same pad material don't make this noise.

Anyone know a good way to diagnose this? Im starting to think its not the pad material itself. I have no idea. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Did you set the axle by bouncing the front?

EBCs have always been noisy for me, but only when ON the brakes. If your pads are taking 10-20s to pull away there is something going on. When is the last time you cleaned up your calipers? When is the last time you flushed the fluid? Are the slide pins notched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKukov View Post
Hey guys

i bought some new front and rear pads awhile back. I went cheap.... i know, dumb. I believe they are kevlar. Installed them. Tthey stop fine but the fronts squeak/squeal when stopping and when i let off the brake i get a bit of a humming sound for 10-20 seconds (im guessing the humming goes away after the pads are fully pushed away from the rotor)

I tried reseating/reinstalling them but no change in sound.

The weird thing is the rears using the same pad material don't make this noise.

Anyone know a good way to diagnose this? Im starting to think its not the pad material itself. I have no idea. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Did you set the axle by bouncing the front?

EBCs have always been noisy for me, but only when ON the brakes. If your pads are taking 10-20s to pull away there is something going on. When is the last time you cleaned up your calipers? When is the last time you flushed the fluid? Are the slide pins notched?

hey beef, thanks for the reply. sorry 10-20 seconds was a (bad) guesstimate probably more like 5-10. I flushed the fluid when i changed the pads...i did not clean up calipers. What would you suggest for cleaning?

post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 10:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Le So Cal Troll

bed those fuckers in.

8 to 10 HARD STOPS from 60-5mph without stopping completely. Im talking almost stoppie type stops. Progressive and firm on the front brakes. After the series of 8 back to back 60-5mph stops go n cruise without touching the brakes much, this will properly cool them down.

post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Discen

thanks guys, the video looks helpful... once it warms up a bit i'll get my lazy ass outside

nd4spd - i didnt go to that extreme yet but i did try a bunch of hard stops to try and.... i dont know "seat" the pads... no luck. i'll try your suggestion first then if it persists i'll clean up dem calipers

thanks again. hopefully i remember to post in here after i try these steps

post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Robert

Garage
I've never ran kevlar in rhe fronr, just in the rear. You need some really good stopping power up front and I've always ran sintered. EBC's and no squeal.

When I was an auto tech, we always found a sqeal to be dirt/sand in pads, nothing mechanical. We ran then back and forth a few times on flat concrete or sand paper and no more squeal. Easy fix but temporary.

There's tons of products at auto parts stores too.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKukov View Post
thanks guys, the video looks helpful... once it warms up a bit i'll get my lazy ass outside

nd4spd - i didnt go to that extreme yet but i did try a bunch of hard stops to try and.... i dont know "seat" the pads... no luck. i'll try your suggestion first then if it persists i'll clean up dem calipers

thanks again. hopefully i remember to post in here after i try these steps
the thing with bedding pads in whether it be on a car or a motorcycle is you need to get them heated up so pad material is actually transferred to the disk. It takes A LOT more heat (stopping force and time) then you would think to do this. Hence the 8-10 HARD stops.

Obviously be in a clear place to do this and do it safely, know your limits. But for me bedding in pads, most stops end up with the rear tire off the ground to some degree, im not grabbing a front end full of brake, im quickly and progressively applying pressure as to not unsettle the front end. The front tire can even get to the point of squaling / making a little noise, but not skidding.

Every set of front pads i have put on my 919 has made some noise until i got the chance to bed them in, after that point, stopping power is always much better, lever feel much firmer, and noise is gone.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM
The 35.5 MPG 919

Interesting I've noticed this as well.

I replaced my brake pads when I replaced my front tyre. I believe the shop put in Goldfren pads.

I've noticed since then when braking I hear a noise that sounds like something similar to what you are describing. I also notice at very low speed braking when I put very little pressure on the front brake lever I hear loud squeaking noises. Hopefully this is just the pads settling in.

I have worn them in as described above, but may have another go braking heavily some more to see if it helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode