New (hopefully) 919 owner seeking info - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

New (hopefully) 919 owner seeking info

I'm (hopefully) going to be getting a Honda 919 next week, and while I've looked at them a lot and ridden one a little, I was wondering if any of those that have/had a 919 would have any input as to anything that I should look out for specifically. Anything that I have to worry about. Any good reviews of them would be accepted as well.

I'll mostly be using this bike for commuting to/from work with hopefully a few longer trips in the future (Dallas to OKC will probably be common). Any special suggestions related to this type of use?

Thanks in advance.
Beardking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

It is an amazing bike, you get the best of both worlds with it. You can ride for hours in comfort, and you can more than hang with most crotch rockets. I have ridden several 300 mile days on mine in total comfort. Its a GREAT bike. buy it

post #3 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

welcome BK, I can not give much reviews...I am in the same boat as you...hoping to snag one soon, awesome bike though. I am sure others can be of more help. I would just look at normal things though, signs of being laid over, scuffed footpegs, turn-signals, brake/clutch levers. not sure if you mind the possible "stink" that has been reported. the first things i would do when finding one would be getting a different exhaust (if stock) and changing the handlebars...stock position is a bit too upright and new bars seems to solve the "vibration" of the old bars...

good luck in your search! i am in pa now, but grew in DeSoto!

post #4 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The 919 is a great bike, and you can make them do basically anything you want. I put ultra low bars and a smaller sprocket for a little more sporty feel while still not killing my back, but if your commuting you can change the setup for comfort and a higher sprocket for a little less buzzy on the interstate.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I got mine last August and have nothing but love for it.
It has plenty of power and the ride is great.
I use it for commuting to work, 20 miles each way, and pleasure riding and have no problems.
It is a joy to ride. I have gone on several 100 miles rides with no problems. It handles great. Overall I have no complaints.
I will be riding from Chicago to St. Louis next month so that will be my first real long distance ride on it.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Welcome beardking,

aside from the basic points of interest that Crazy mentioned, you might be interested in an aftermarket seat for those trips to OKC.
Unless you're a cyclist too, then you could probably get by wearing your padded spandex shorts

post #7 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

I got mine used since Jan. of this year. I think it really is a very good all-around bike. The exhaust sound was a bit too quiet for my own taste, and the handle bar seems to vibrate alot more than my previous bikes (mostly 600 sports). Other than those two minor issues, I really find myself enjoying the bike more and more.

post #8 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Good choice!

I picked up mine a few months ago and haven't had one problem (4k miles in three months). Here are my thoughts on some topics that seem to keep coming up. Remember these are just my thoughts.

Exhaust Stink - With factory pipes it just depends on how sensitive you are to the smell. While commuting it doesn't seem to be a problem at all but you really start to notice it while cruising around a city. I put yoshimura exhaust on my bike and haven't noticed the smell anymore. Scorpion makes a nice set but a lot of people also talk about Sato slip-ons.

Wind Blast - What you would expect from a bike without a windshield. Not bad at all when cruising 70 mph or less. When trying to keep up with sport bikes tuck down and it goes away. Small fly screens are popular, I plan on installing one on my bike, just trying to figure out what look I am going to go for but it will help a little.

Erratic throttle response - I noticed with my bike cruising around 4k RPM or less things were pretty smooth but when I rolled on the throttle there was a huge surge once in the power curve. Flapper mod smoothed this one tremendously and made power more linier. I also picked up a PCIII-USB to map my exhaust and noted an additional improvement. Better throttle response and smoothed out power.

MPG - I commute 20 miles to and from work and get about 160-170 miles a tank. (Light comes on around 120 miles) When I am playing around on the weekends, I get about 120-130 miles a tank.

Riding position - I am 6' tall so the riding position is perfectly upright. I don't plan on changing out my handlebars anytime soon. I do have a problem with leg cramps after a few hours of highway riding. Install frame sliders to reposition my legs and I now can ride all day. I personally want rear sets to move my heals back a little further but that is a personal choice.

Maintenance - It's a Honda, nuff said.

Power - Perfect balanace of performance and comfort. People that own sport bikes are always implressed with this bikes ability to keep up on twisties and on the hwy.

What I like most about this bike is the fact you can easily make it your own because it is so easy to work on. Good Luck!

post #9 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Yeah, I've read about "the stink" but since the only riding I've done on one was the one I test rode this past weekend, I didn't get introduced to it. We'll see how that goes. I'm used to my 99 Honda Nighthawk 750, so a quieter exhaust isn't really that big of an issue, although if I come across a great deal, I may actually change it out once I get used to it.

The one that I test rode had the Renthal Ultra Low bars and while I think they would be fine for highway riding, I think I'll probably stick with stock for a while just to see how that goes as well. Will probably be changing out the grips though. I have a set of Rizoma grips that I had on my NH that I really like. Unfortunately the bar ends that I had made for it probably won't work (they slipped OVER the bar rather than insert IN).

Talking about the flyscreen, what does that do for wind protection? Does it actually make a difference or is it more just for looks? If it's just for looks, I'll probably ditch the one that's on the bike I'm supposed to get because I'm not a big fan of it (I likes em nekkid). If it actually does soemthing useful, I might consider keeping it. Maybe.

Omaha - nope, no padded bicycle shorts for me, although I've been told I carry around enough padding already.

post #10 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Tirone

There's a green '04 919 on Dallas Craig's list right now...

It's in Mesquite

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/791622251.html

'09 FJR; '07 919
post #11 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk000 View Post
There's a green '04 919 on Dallas Craig's list right now...

It's in Mesquite

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/791622251.html
Yeah, I saw that one and I have to say, if I'm going to go with a nasty green bike, I'll have to get a Kawasaki ZRX1200. Not really sure what the designers where thinking with this color. Nice bike if it weren't for the day glo color.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Talking about the flyscreen, what does that do for wind protection? Does it actually make a difference or is it more just for looks?
Depending on the size of the flyscreen. Most can keep some of the air off your chest or just send bugs right into your visor. Larger ones will reduce the amount of wind hitting you but I think they look silly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugly2.jpg (8.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg ugly.jpg (3.8 KB, 140 views)

post #13 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Welcome to the site and hang around even if you don't buy the 9'er!

great bike but it will stink up your riding gear and yourself before you get to work.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
great bike but it will stink up your riding gear and yourself before you get to work.
With me, that'll most likely be an improvement.

Thanks for the info on the flyscreen. I've never ridden with anything that had any sort of windscreen at all. Don't know if I'll like the effect of them, but I do know I'm not a big fan of the looks of them.

post #15 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvolt View Post
Depending on the size of the flyscreen. Most can keep some of the air off your chest or just send bugs right into your visor. Larger ones will reduce the amount of wind hitting you but I think they look silly.
windscreens

dont like em on the 9'er

post #16 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM

Cool

great bike,lots of things you can do to make it fit you ,and anything that goes wrong you will get help from these good and knowledgeable people

post #17 of 20 Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

got mine a few months back, put over 2 k on it already, my sig is a pic of it, a lil has changed though, i powdercoated the exausts shields, and put barend mirrors on it. yeah man, you wont go wrong with the 919, i went so far as to order personal plates for mine a first for me, and im 43,

good luck on your purchase, and welcome to your new home

post #18 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 05:45 AM
I like yellow bikes

Arrow Lunchbreak is over

Quote:
I'm (hopefully) going to be getting a Honda 919 next week, and while I've looked at them a lot and ridden one a little, I was wondering if any of those that have/had a 919 would have any input as to anything that I should look out for specifically. Anything that I have to worry about. Any good reviews of them would be accepted as well.

I'll mostly be using this bike for commuting to/from work with hopefully a few longer trips in the future (Dallas to OKC will probably be common). Any special suggestions related to this type of use?

Thanks in advance.
Beardking
I put a lengthy reply to your query on Adventure Rider before I came here. I haven't got time to repeat it, but here's a link: LINK

Janet the jet
post #19 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Discen

Quote:
Talking about the flyscreen, what does that do for wind protection? Does it actually make a difference or is it more just for looks? .
There's a good reason it's called a flyscreen and not a windscreen. It's only real useful purpose is to keep bugs out of the instrument cluster. It's easier to keep the bike clean with a flyscreen, but that's the only reason I have one.

You're still up in the wind. I'm only 6'0" and I have bug splatter on my jacket from pectorals on up to shoulders. But I don't mind. Leather is easy to clean as long as it's treated periodically.

2006 Honda 919
post #20 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 AM

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and really like it.

With any used bike pay attention to 'consumables'. Check the tires, chain, sprockets, etc. for wear. A good deal can be negated by worn parts if a more expensive bike is available that's donning new shoes and chain. Yanno?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode