New Guy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

New Guy

I have lurked off and on today, great site, great post's none of the childish stuff I am used to. To cut to the chase I am itching to get back in riding. I owned an F4i for about 4 years, and had an EX500 as my starter bike for about a year. Been out of riding since summer of 06 and now have the bug.

I ended up here because I saw a used 919 locally and had to find out more. I had of long list of considerations, another F4i, 954, 600rr, etc., all Honda, but this 919 caught my eye. I never tracked my bike, and probably never tapped its full potential, I just plain loved the looks of sport-bikes, but now I find myself getting into these naked bikes, always had a liking for them. Not sure if it just because they are a whole new animal, but I am having a blast researching them (currently way past my bedtime).

Anyway, this bike will be used for commuting to work (22 freeway miles, one-way) and fun jaunts on the weekends, remember I am not a real pusher when it comes to riding. I will also take my wife for rides occasionally.

So my questions are for anyone that came from a 600 to a 919 and what the transition was like, and though it has been discussed numerous times....does the possible exhaust smell go away with slip-ons? How about the buzziness feeling in the handlebars at freeway speeds, and will the tiny wind deflector really help?

Sorry for the long post, but I am SUPER excited.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

welcome hondacrazy, the 919 is a fairly easy bike to ride. I started with a 600 but there were about 6-7 years between the 600 and 919, definitely more power and torque but very easy to ride and handle. It will do what you want, but it's easy to keep it tame if that's what you want, if that makes sense. good commuter sport bike IMO. you may need a new seat though to keep the wife happy from what I've read.

post #3 of 41 Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Hello- I'm no expert but i have ridden everything from a GS500 to a GSX-R 1000.
My favorite bike was actually my Honda F4i- until I got a 919.
Is it easy to ride? Well in my opinion ALL bikes should be respected and are capable of killing you if you dont know what your doing. I do find the 919 to be as forgiving as the F4i was, but obviously with more power.
The bike rides like a sport bike with respect to nimble handling and speed, but its comfy sit-up position makes it great for commuting as well- which is why i bought it. you can mod it out to make it look however you want. Im still trying to get my hands on a European style slanted headlight.
I dont use a wind screen- i love wind. The handle bars are cheap but fine for me. You can replace with Renthals or something.
I love this bike. Handling of a 600, power of a 1000, no back aches.

post #4 of 41 Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The 919 is a great bike to own and can do a little of everything. It doesn't necessarily excel in anyone area, but can do a little of everything. If you never reached the F4i's full potential this will be the perfect bike, plus it'll be easier on your wrist when riding with the wife. I agree that you should look into a different seat to help her and you. I love my Corbin, but alot of people on here seem to prefer sargents seats. Good Luck

post #5 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

New Guy

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah it really seems like a nice bike, I love all the options to make it unique. I did not do much to my F4i, just small things to make it "mine". I would probably look into a lower stance for the handlebars, just something I am used, plus at 6'4 my arms are long.

The one I found is an 03 with 4300 miles on it for $4500. The bummer of it is, I was hoping to hold off until next spring to get a bike, I have some other financial goals in mind that I would like to achieve before purchasing a bike. The REAL bummer is there is not a huge selection...I did some quick searches and found 0 for sale in PA, and an EBAY search yielded on 05 in TX, and some left over 07's. I prefer to get a black, gray, silver one and to keep the price at around $5k. -So with limited options, is $4500 a decent price?

Also, how about the freeway commuting and slip-on (smell reducers?) questions?

Thanks.

post #6 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Just for comparison, the local dealer has an '06 for $6700. There's an '02 locally on CL for $4500.

Good luck and welcome!

post #7 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Milites Gregarius

First of all, I love my 919. It is a fantastic bike and you can't go wrong buying one. There are some problems with it stock (Seat, exhaust smell, handlebars) but those are all subjective and fixable. You may not have problems with some of them. For example, I hated the seat but the stock bars don't bother me a bit. The hardest to fix is probably the exhaust stink. Most people seem to say that a slipon and power commander reduce the smell significantly. The other option is doing the 900rr exhaust conversion (install the complete exhaust system from a 93-99 CBR 900rr). This switches to a single lower mounted exhaust which fixes the stink. Bottom line, you can fix all the problems with the 919 by customizing it.

One thing I will say is that I consider freeway travel to be the thing the 9er does worst. Not saying it does it poorly, just not it's strong suit.

post #9 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search! The 919 is a very good all around bike, doesn't excel at anything and yet doesn't do anything poorly either. It has plenty of power for spirited riding, the midrange power will let it run with most any bike up to around 100 or so; and if you're looking for more than that take it to a track IMHO.

BTW, what part of PA do you reside?

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCrazy View Post
So my questions are for anyone that came from a 600 to a 919 and what the transition was like, and though it has been discussed numerous times....does the possible exhaust smell go away with slip-ons? How about the buzziness feeling in the handlebars at freeway speeds, and will the tiny wind deflector really help?

Sorry for the long post, but I am SUPER excited.

Thanks!
I rode a 99' YZF-R6 Yamaha for 5 years prior to the 9er. Each bike has it's merits and short comings. The 919 is a excellent "all around" ride.

The only sure cure for the exhaust stink is a low mount can with a 900RR header. Some 919's stink others don't, you might get lucky.

Their are various cures for the freeway buzz. One sure cure is to go up one tooth(17) on the countershaft sprocket.

Welcome aboard.

post #11 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 AM
speed limits?

the 919 on PA roads is a fun bike especially if you live around the country, only drawback is you just have to watch out for the potholes and deer when you're going down the road. i've dumbed around on a couple of 600's and a 750 but decided the 919 was more comfortable and fun than them so when the chance to buy one came up... i took it.

post #12 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 08:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I dont think the 9er has any problems on the highway especially if you got with the 17t front sprocket. I have the 15t front and have no problems on the highway just a little buzz from a higher RPM. I love my slip-ons, and i also think a good leather jacket will help deflect some of the exhaust, because my textile jacket left clothing smelling. However with my leather jacket i never smell. I rather the look of highmounted exhaust over low mount. get the bike make it your own and love every minute of it.

post #13 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

welcome and enjoy!

post #14 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
welcome and enjoy!
+1

I found the simple addition of Renthal Streetfighter bars was a HUGE buzz deterrent!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #15 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome to the fray.

post #16 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Sheepdog

Wecome! I have about the same commute as you, and can choose through town or around on the highway. I have a 2007 919 with the 17tooth sprocket, and while the buzz isn't bad on the highway, the fuel mileage is only 38.7 mpg on the highway (running 75-80) and through town I get almost 44 mpg. Just some food for thought Oh, and I think you will fall in love with the 919, I certainly have with mine.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #17 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search! The 919 is a very good all around bike, doesn't excel at anything and yet doesn't do anything poorly either. It has plenty of power for spirited riding, the midrange power will let it run with most any bike up to around 100 or so; and if you're looking for more than that take it to a track IMHO.

BTW, what part of PA do you reside?
Central PA...thanks for the continued response. This is slowly becoming an obsession. I love learning about new bikes. So do these new handlebars, lower the stance as well? I ask because of the "ultra-low" in the title. I seriously would not might a bit more of an agressive stance.

post #18 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Central PA...thanks for the continued response. This is slowly becoming an obsession. I love learning about new bikes. So do these new handlebars, lower the stance as well? I ask because of the "ultra-low" in the title. I seriously would not might a bit more of an agressive stance.

I'm in the Pocono's, I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything in my area.

It all depends on which bend, pull back, rise, ect you choose. The options are wide are far.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #19 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
speed limits?

if i'm not mistaken the renthal ultra lows are about 2-3 inches more forward than stock and an inch or two lower. Specs for different bars can be found on Mike's Bike's page about halfway down....

http://m51142.googlepages.com/919page

central, pa... meaning the york/harrisburg area?

post #20 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsubishimarc View Post
if i'm not mistaken the renthal ultra lows are about 2-3 inches more forward than stock and an inch or two lower. Specs for different bars can be found on Mike's Bike's page about halfway down....

http://m51142.googlepages.com/919page

central, pa... meaning the york/harrisburg area?
Yup harrisburg area, that is good to hear about the bars...the F4i was by no means super aggressive, but it was much more "lean-forward" than the 919 I sat on yesterday. Seems they are decently price too, another bonus.

so since I will more than likely sadly pass on the 919 I found, will it be next to impossible to find one early next spring? I just do not have the experience searching for them...they seem so low in numbers.

post #21 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
speed limits?

i've only ever seen 1 listed in like a 50 mile radius of greensburg, pa and instantly jumped on it and bought it. every now and again the other guys in the forum will put up a link about where they see one being sold. you might even be able to find a new one laying around a honda shop for pretty cheap since they quit making them.

post #22 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

if you find one

BUY IT!!!

post #23 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM

welcom thees bikes are grate . i think its a proper jack of all trades my 900 is my first road bike and it is so nice to ride. change the bars and the vibes in the hands stop my girlfreind finds it a bit uncomftable on the back . i took it 200 milles on sunday whit no cumfort problems i love it

post #24 of 41 Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Tesserarius

I've never noticed a smell from my '06, but I've never modded my intake or exhaust system either. Some talk about slip-ons creating the problem?
Or maybe a cat/converter thing? Pre cat models?
Do a search, there's been heaps written on the subject.

post #25 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

You should be able to find some outside of your area also. I got mine off CycleTrader.com - a 2004 with lots of mods for a pretty decent price and had it shipped from Dallas to Seattle by Forward Air (~$400-$450).
I'm starting my search for my second 919 now...

post #26 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

yeah, i hope to find one, there sure arent many around now...lots of 07's, i am interested in either a black or silver...matte or glossy--not sure if i can be anymore picky. the one that is currently on sale locally just seems to be a great price....still thinking on pulling the trigger, but, it would probably be wiser to speak.
i would love to find one as close to stock as possible so i can make it unique myself.
so how was it shipping a bike, i assume you did not get to ride it first? did that feel kinda risky?

post #27 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Tirone

something to consider... you can replace all of the painted parts with new for about $600 (if you shop around and do the work yourself). that's not much more than the cost of shipping, and much lower risk (no long distance shopping, no worry about damage in transit).

or you can have the existing parts re-painted for less than that, to a stock or custom color, and get started early on the customizing...

...j919

post #28 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
so how was it shipping a bike, i assume you did not get to ride it first? did that feel kinda risky?
Surprisingly it didn't feel risky at all - we had quite a few phone and e-mail conversations prior to finalizing the deal. I called the shipping company and made the arrangements all he had to do was show up on a set day and time with the bike, tie-downs, and a couple combination locks for the shipping container. He FedEx'd the keys, lock combinations, and all the paperwork to me while the bike was in transit. I got a ride down there and rode the bike home. Very easy.
The local dealer had just sold both his leftover '04 919s so I started looking nationwide and found a silver '04 in TX with almost all of the mods I already wanted to do. It had about 8,500 miles and he was asking the same price (with a couple thousand $$ in mods) as the dealer had been asking for the leftover '04s. I was extremely happy with how it all worked out.

post #29 of 41 Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Welcome Hondacrazy. I hope you enjoy your new ride.

post #30 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

My 919 is an '07 California model and has no stink, and my hands do buzz a lot on the freeway after 75 miles or so, but I think it's just part of the motorcycle thing... My first bike was a Kawasaki KZ750E ('81), it was HORRIBLE on the highway - what with it's top speed of 84 MPH and all... Got a '92 Honda Nighthawk 750. AMAZING bike, but only had five gears. Then I got my 919. Does everything a LOT better than the 750's I had before except all of them have the buzzing hands on highway problem, but the nighthawk added a buzzing feet too, so the 919 is nice there. My brother has a Honda 929, and I've gotta say it's the best bike I've ever ridden... until the 919. I still love the 929, and would have one if I had the space and the money, but the 919 does everything it does except the top speed... And like someone else said, if you're doing more than 100 in a group, get to the track ASAP. Be safe, buy a leftover '07 and paint it. You'll still come out ahead of me... I paid 7300 for mine OTD in Feb. I hear they're going for high sixes now. Use the 600 bucks you save and get to customizing!

post #31 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 07:02 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh... forgot. I get 45MPG on the freeway at about 80, and 48-52 on highways w/ speed limits of 65 or less. Around town is 48/49 mpg. Premium fuel seems to cut 2mpg off across the board, but I use it now exclusively because it runs a LOT smoother at the lower RPM's with premium. I know, the book says 87 MIN... But it does say MINIMUM, not MAXIMUM.

post #32 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

17t AFAM countershaft sprocket ($25)
Renthal Ultra Lows ($70)
Used 900RR headers from EBAY ($60)
Brand new Scorpion bolt on ($130)

All of your problems are fixed.

2 > 4
post #33 of 41 Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I'll chime in by saying I came from a 99 CBR600F4 and I ride the 919 ALOT more then I did the CBR. My seat and my hands ached within 20 minutes of riding that thing and I started to ride less and less as the years went on. Now I ride every chance I get. It has more power than the CBR but also a little more weight so performance it pretty much a wash. This is a different kind of power though. Same HP but 30% more torque. My commute is 10 miles of country highway + 12 miles of freeway and the 919 handles it fine. I have no stink with the stock 07 but if I don't wear gloves my hands get tingly after 30-40 minutes. Aluminum rental bars cure that from what I have read. The ultra-lows will give you a sport bike feel and the mids are about the same as stock.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #34 of 41 Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Tirone

Well I ride my 919 140 miles a day at about 95 100 mph indcated probably more like 85 90 actual its all stock exept for the national cycle f16 screen that helps
with wind deflection fairly well I got it to help on cooler days in spring and fall
the exhaust smell ive not noticed but im a tech at a dealership so it doesent bother me ,It is a little buzzy at the bars renthals will fix .
all around fun bike very flickable ,and i guess i get about 35 to 37 mpg at the speed I ride never really calculated it overall really fun bike

post #35 of 41 Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Thanks for the continued info. I did get to test the 919 in my area yesterday. I liked it a lot, my legs were a bit smushed underneath the tank, but at 6'4, not many bikes in this class accommodate better. I enjoyed the ride, did not feel much buzz, but I would want a more agressive set of bars anyway. I would think if i could get the bars about where the brake and clutch levers are currently on stock set-up I would be more than pleased.
I am still a bit surprised on how I am taking to the looks of this bike. I stopped by a honda dealership and saw a used 954 and of course some newer RR's which i have always loved...there is just something about the 919 and the potential it has with mod's. not sure if this is a quick phase or not....might make a low-ball offer since i am not really in the market right now...we will see.

post #36 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Hondacrazy, My '07 only smells if I start it in the garage, never smells while pulling back into the garage after it has warmed up. It does have the catalytic converter from the factory.

post #37 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I have a 30 mile commute each way that can be backroads or straight shot super slab and my 919 has been great. I like to think of it as a Swiss armyknife. It's got everything I need and nothing I really don't. Great riding position, power, and street cred. and a subtle refined elegance.
Sure, I sometimes wish there were more mods available for it, and I feel like a redheaded step child when the 919 is never even listed on accessory websites, but then I haveto ask is it a "want" or a "need."
I have a 2006 with Jaradine slips and don't have any exhaust issues, but then again I have nothing to compare it too. So I could stink to high heaven and not know. I do know this site is without question essential to learn everything there is to know aboout a 919. The community is unbelievable, well educated, opinionated, and supportive. With the great posts, write ups and pictures I have undertaken things I never thought I was capable of from electrical, to mechanical. Honda's a great brand, but I don't love the 919 because of that. I love my 919 because I feel part of this small Wrist Twister community. Hell, if I were you, I'd buy a 919 just to be part of the group here. That's just my two cents.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #38 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Thanks Fish, love your sig.

Yeah, I am digging the bike. I do not go all out on the expenses with mods anyway, so I am pleased with what is available. Do you have a sound clip of the Jardines? I have always purchased Yosh in the past and planned to stick with them, but was entertaining something that might be a bit louder.

Thanks.

post #39 of 41 Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nothing on hand, but I can easily record something for you. Got dinner plans tonight so it might take a day.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #40 of 41 Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 PM
HawaiiRider

Wow, this is great. Good luck with your search. I just purchased my own bit of heaven last week. '02 919 with 9k miles on it for $2500. I put another 100 hundred miles on it since last week. Best of all, it came with all the mods installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode