New Chain Time - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

New Chain Time

Time for a new chain and sprocket, What's the best way to go, Keep it stock or change no. of teeth? Any suggestions as to brands and where to buy from? Bike is 2004 919 stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

If you like how it's working now,keep the stock gearing. It seems to be the best over all.
If you do a lot of highway riding, replace the 16T front with a 17T.
The 17T also corrects the speedo.
If you are keeping the stock gearing, use the factory front drive sprocket & a good steel (best for wear)aftermarket driven(rear).
AFAM sprockets are one of the best.
Even if they are from France.
The AFAM driven sprockets are hard to come by, but the drive(fronts)are everywhere.
A good quality aftermarket driven sprocket is better than the stock one.
Note: Using the non-rubber type drive sprocket will result in a very slight, almost non noticeable, whine from the chain.
The chain I recommend:
DID530VM X' ring at 114 links.

I tried the 112 links,stock gearing. It doesn't work on an 06' without modification to the adjusters.
Way too short.
It also wont work with the 17T front.

As far as where to get them for a good price I hunted around & everyone is about the same price.
I'm sure someone will chime in with some options for ya.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM

I agree with most of what xrmikey said. I have an '02 919 and I switched to 112 links with no problems, plenty of adjustment either way. It looks like (I am not sure at all) something changed on the '06 919 with regard to the chain length, the kit I bought says '02-'05.

I had no problems getting a steel rear AFAM at http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/. I actually called Dan Kyle first but they didn't have steel rear sprocket so they referred me to Drive Systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
If you are keeping the stock gearing, use the factory front drive sprocket & a good steel (best for wear)aftermarket driven(rear).
Note: Using the non-rubber type drive sprocket will result in a very slight, almost non noticeable, whine from the chain if you are deaf.
I exaggerate a little, but I highly recommend the factory front sprocket, it is much quieter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode