New bars now problems with throttle - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

New bars now problems with throttle

I picked up a new set of renthal road bars (low). I installed them last weekend and under the advice of some of the threads on this site, ground down the pins on the throttle and clutch side controls. Now my throttle will not stay put. I am now trying to figure out how to fix this so I can ride my bike before it starts to rain for 8 months straight (I live in Seattle). I should have just drilled the bars on the throttle side instead of grinding it down. Any ideas on where to get a new throttle side control or mounting fixes. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I would try some double sided tape first and second a spot of silicon on 1 half of your control if the tape dosent work

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #3 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
a spot of silicon on 1 half of your control if the tape dosent work
That might work. I have a clear silicone "aquarium sealant" that I use to reseal things on my boat. It sticks to everything without being irreversibly permanent.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #4 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Double sided tape, or any kind of tape to make the diameter of the bar bigger so the pod has something to grip to.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks I will try that. I picked up a Corbin seat last night for 180 dollars. I hope it is more comfortable than the stocker. The stocker makes my tail bone sore after only riding for about an hour. Does anyone else have one of these seats?

post #6 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Le So Cal Troll

wrap some electrical tape round the bars so it has something to grip onto?

post #7 of 15 Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs250r View Post
I picked up a new set of renthal road bars (low). I installed them last weekend and under the advice of some of the threads on this site, ground down the pins on the throttle and clutch side controls. Now my throttle will not stay put. I am now trying to figure out how to fix this so I can ride my bike before it starts to rain for 8 months straight (I live in Seattle). I should have just drilled the bars on the throttle side instead of grinding it down. Any ideas on where to get a new throttle side control or mounting fixes. Thanks
I had the same problem when I did my bars as well. I removed the pin so I could play with the controls and get them positioned where I wanted them.. this was a good idea cept for the new problem.. controls spin all over..lame! I solved the problem by drilling thru the hole where the pin was into the bars and using a small sheet metal screw as a new set pin. Controls stay put now and I got to play with the location of the controls a lot before deciding on a fixed spot. I should mention I tried all the tape tricks.. they would only hold for a few days or a couple weeks... then the controls would move again.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #8 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 01:30 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Those little screws that thread in the plastic throttle housing were never meant to be used as a clamp. That's the reason for the pin in the hole set up. There's a good chance that in a few years, stress fractures will appear.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You're the guy that took the seat from the guy in Tacoma!! .... welcome to the site. try the double sided tape

post #10 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Should have just done it the right way and drilled the bars. PITA as it is, there is a reason for them though!

post #11 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ya I did get the seat from the guy in tacoma. I can't wait to try it out. I was being lazy which leads to more work later. I should have know better. I will try the eletrical tape for now and over the winter try something different.

post #12 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I would find an appropriate size rivet, pop it in the control and drill holes in the bar.

post #13 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I had the same thing happen when I ground off the pins and upon reassembly with an old set of steel superbike bars, had pods that spun !

Use old school cloth surgical tape, the stuff you'd tape gauze with to cover a wound. The ancient white stuff. Not the slippery modern stuff. If you can find the ancient type cloth electrical tape, the stuff that is very tacky on the top side and super sticky on the stick side, use that instead.
Precisely locate it on the bars where the inner webs of the control pods will be.
You won't need much.
Locate the pod on the bar where you want it length wise.
Put masking tape on the bar butting up to the pod.
Remove pod.
Put tape on. Start with 1.5 wraps.
Put the pod on.
5 years on my 919 this way and all is well - no movement of either side.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Should have just done it the right way and drilled the bars. PITA as it is, there is a reason for them though!
Amen to that Ripper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #15 of 15 Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Thanks I will try that. I picked up a Corbin seat last night for 180 dollars. I hope it is more comfortable than the stocker. The stocker makes my tail bone sore after only riding for about an hour. Does anyone else have one of these seats?
I have a Corbin too. It is infinitely better than the stocker which put me in discomfort on every ride once 45 minutes to an hour had gone by. It's also a nicer perch for my wife when she's on as a passenger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode