New 919er -Wheels (sorry if a dup) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question New 919er -Wheels (sorry if a dup)

New to the forum. After searching high and low with little results, I am hoping there are a few guys on here who can help.

I just picked up a 2007 919 and love it. Seat looks cheap and wheel are not my style at all, but I couldn't pass up the overall look and feel of this bike for the price.

I am already addressing the seat, but the wheels are more of a challenge. Does anyone have suggestions on simple/cheaper strategies of options 1, and 2 (below)

I have three options, in order of preference:

1.) Wire spoked wheels. This seems to me the obvious choice, but impossible feat on a budget and sacrificing tire options.

2.) Simple swaps. Are there any good options to swap wheels. I am hoping for a thin 6+ spoke look. If the styles are similar, I would even consider swapping only the front.

3.) powder coating. I have the candy red 919. thinking gold powder coating is the one change that might alight the look for me.

Also, if anyone else has been pushing for their 919 to look a little more old school and have suggestions, I would appreciate it. Especially exhaust. Every option looks futuristic with a bunch of decals on them.

Anyway, hello everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 AM
The Cripple

Hello and welcome. Continue to search, there is a ton of info here. Likely more than you would know what to do with. Just about anything that can be done to the 919, has been done.

Except wire spoked rims, that's a first I think. May I ask why? They are not worth the trouble imho.

The 6 spoke f4 rims are a popular swap. None of the options are "cheap" per say.

If you're looking for best bang for your buck and maximum benefit, do the following first: 17/44 gearing, ohlins/penske rear, rework front forks, exhaust. Pc3 and custom tune.

In terms of looks. There are so many different directions you can go. Just depends on style, preference, budget, and fab skills. Good luck.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking into the sprocket change, due to the toll roads and speeds these pick ups and SUV's expect traffic to run. I got pasted by a "pack" of f-150's and at the time I didn't realize I was going 90. Would be nice to run at a lower RPM.

I hadn't thought much about messing with the fueling or suspension yet. I think the fueling will depend on the sprocket change, but right now she runs great on Texas highways.

As for the wire spoked obsession, my first love (in bikes) was the Thruxton. Their new ones seem great, but the air cooled old ones don't fit my needs. I am thinking of putting a slight "cafe" look to this bike. Yes I know it is becoming "over-done," but flyscreen, seat cowl, grab bar delete, belly pan/fairing? (if I can find a spot to let me paint), skip the clipons, but go for a slightly more forward bar (in parallel to suspension adjustments).

I like the f4 rims, thank you for that suggestion. As for cost, I haven't even seen some ball parks on this site. I will keep hunting.

Cheers!

post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
The Cripple

Fueling is independent of gearing changes. It'll help a lot with low speed throttle input. Some people feel it's useless. Ymmv.

Def do the suspension rework. It is night and day difference every way imaginable!

There are seat cowls, belly pans, etc. Out there. Just harder to find now that the bike hasn't been in production nearly 10 years. You may have to source second hand. They pop up every now and then.

Handle bars have been covered extensively. You'll find a lot of options. Tharbars are hands down the best!

A quick and easy way to get more of the cafe look is to get some fork gators. Some people like the look, some don't.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I am still having a hard time with wheels.

Lots of pictures of completed jobs, but I haven't found many "this year, this model" swaps are the easiest.

For the 6 spoke f4 rims, what year/model should I be looking for?

Also, I was going to order the dan moto mufflers and baffles. Anyone have bad opinions on these?

post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayd11 View Post
I am still having a hard time with wheels.

Lots of pictures of completed jobs, but I haven't found many "this year, this model" swaps are the easiest.

For the 6 spoke f4 rims, what year/model should I be looking for?

Also, I was going to order the dan moto mufflers and baffles. Anyone have bad opinions on these?
For the front you need 96-99 cbr600f3 or 94-97 VFR750 (not F4) and the rotors that go with the wheel. Then you need the correct axle spacers and spacers for the calipers to line everything up center. The rear is a direct swap with the Cbr900rr all years.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 02:55 PM
The Cripple

I'm on my mobile. But this is what I found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonater View Post
I did this conversion and the 900rr wheel is a direct swap on the rear, you do not need anything to make it fit.

You will need an CBR F3 17" front wheel for the 6 spoke conversion. This will have you do the least amount of modifications. Fortunately the one I purchased came with rotors. You will need an F3 front axle and some spacers as well.

I'm not sure about the VFR though.

6 spoke is the ticket!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Sorry, can't attribute this for the deserved hat-tip, but this twister found the 919 axle to be a fit, while others [eg Gibbonater above] suggest an F3 axle is needed:

"By mixing and matching 919 and f3 collars (see photo) all fit PERFECTLY!! The calipers had to be shimmed 1.5mm inward. Done.

Looking directly at the photo (right side of axle is on left) in order of sequence:
1) Mounting bolt
2) Right side 919 collar
3) Left side 919 collar
4) F3 collar, left or right will work
5) 919 axle
6) Above are shims (ss washers)"

Anyone got anything to add? Maybe it depends...?
Thanks redline that was a typo on my part.

Don't bother with the Dan motos. Get yourself some quality suspension. You'll get far more benefit and enjoyment out of it. Especially on the 919.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

I just did the 6 spoke wheel upgrade. As noted the rear CBR900RR wheel is a direct fit with no modifications, the CBR600F3 front wheel requires axle spacers and caliper spacers. The spacers caliper spacers can be bought online for about $20. I have a few extra sets of the axle spacers if your interested. I made a few extra, PM me if your interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
For the front you need 96-99 cbr600f3 or 94-97 VFR750 (not F4) and the rotors that go with the wheel. Then you need the correct axle spacers and spacers for the calipers to line everything up center. The rear is a direct swap with the Cbr900rr all years.
Is the VFR front wheel a 16 inch or a 17 inch? I'm thinking the CBR600F3 front wheel is the only 17 inch 6 spoke wheel.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Princeps Prior

The VFR 750 wheel is the same exact part number as the F3 wheel. I have one on my bike now.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
The VFR 750 wheel is the same exact part number as the F3 wheel. I have one on my bike now.
That's good to know. Does the wheel have an Enkei stamping or Asahitek? I'm assuming with the same part number as the F3 wheel it should be an Asahitek.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode