New 919 rider, lotsaQuestions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Cool New 919 rider, lotsaQuestions

Hi,
Bought a 02 919 yesterday, with 1150 miles on it. Great bike, pretty much stock except for a rear fender eliminator. Cant wait to put some mile and mods on it. For reference I just sold my 02 Dyna lowrider, Cuz I wanted something more fun to ride, not that I disliked my Hog, just time for a change and didnt suit me.

Questions,
Idle is not quite as smooth as I think it should be, but this is my first FI bike. Is it normal to have a little "burble" in the idle, it runs great/smooth riding it and is not quite as noticible after it warms up, but is still there.

Seat could be a little Higher in front, How is the Corbin?

browsing the 919 sites I think Sato slip on s and A PC111 are what it needs for some character, it Does sound like a sewing machine at times, but then I am used to a Big Bore HD with Cams and Rinehart exhaust.

Like I said my first FI bike, are the PC111's pretty easy to download maps too and then just plug and play?

Ok thats enough for now, thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
tomvan72

When you order your SAtos and PCIII together you can get them to install the map then. Oh and Welcome!

post #3 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks, Now I see I missed the group buy for the Sato's by a day, Darn it!

post #4 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
tomvan72

Me too. I'm hating it.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Wait...your username is justintyme and you missed the Sato group buy by a day... The irony is just too much!

From what I understand, the Corbin will add a little bit of seat height, plus add a more sculpted cradle for your bum. The downside is you can't really move around a whole lot due to the bum-cradle shape. I've found the stock seat to be a good compromise, but if you plan on doing a lot of touring miles you'll definitely want to consider the Corbin.

The PC3 was the first mod I did to the 9er, and I'm never taking it off. Map uploads are easy, it cleans up lots of low spots in the powerband, and I don't stink like fuel anymore!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #6 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Actually thats how I got the Nickname in the first place, as I am late for everything, LOL. But I always make it "Just in time"-except for lunchbreak, I am never late for that, hehe.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The Corbin is definitely higher in the front, which was a big plus over the stocker. The stock seat kept seeming to push big Jim and the boys against the tank.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Idle is not quite as smooth as I think it should be, but this is my first FI bike. Is it normal to have a little "burble" in the idle, it runs great/smooth riding it and is not quite as noticible after it warms up, but is still there.
That little burble is normal, it's the nature of a inline four, nothing to do with Fi. A really bad (as in rough idle) means the throttle bodies need to be sync. Highly unlikely this is the case with your 919.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73
Seat could be a little Higher in front, How is the Corbin?
The Corbin 919 seat is so gay though. It's like an old mans goldwing saddle. And the piping they put on it.. yuck! Might as well get yourself a La-Z-Boy and strap it up there.

I recommend having the stock seat redone by Sargent in Florida. They do excellent work to your specifications. I forget who turned me onto them on the old MotoRush forum.. but I am glad I did it. I sent them a spare seat I bought off eBay for $25 delivered. The Sargent process was under $120 for what I wanted.

I'm Very satisfied! In your case you would have the seat reshaped a bit.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #10 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho
The Sargent process was under $120 for what I wanted.
Under $120?!? They quoted me $185 for a similar design.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I would go for the gunfighter solo look... Either way Moto is right, Sargent is the way to go.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs
Under $120?!? They quoted me $185 for a similar design.
Found the invoice... $109.90. That includes a $15 early bird discount I got cuz I did it in October of 2005 and also includes the shipping charges back to me. If it makes you feel any better... I got rapped by the UPS store when I took it in to ship out. The a$$h0le charged me like $48 for ground. He didn't have a box that it would fit in.. so he had to "make" a box. Anyway.. I got rapped. FedEx Ground from Kinkos.. that's the way to go.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
DHL ships for nothing compared to UPS and FedEx, plus they've NEVER lost one of my packages. What exactly did Sargent do to your seat? I want something a little more comfortable than stock for long hauls.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #14 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Tirone

919 Mods...

I have a 2003 niner... After installing the PC III, the abrupt throttle response dissappeared, and the the low end seemed much smoother. Also at the same tiime I installed a set of Micron Carbon Fiber Slip-Ons, and a K & N filter. I dont know just what mod did the most, but the whole package works well together (and sounds great). I was also told (by Dynojet), that the 919 map preloaded in the PC III is good for the Microns... -John

post #15 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info Guys, I put a few more miles on tonight and the stock seat really aint bad. I really noticed it as being a little low in the front cuz the Brakes are much better than what I was riding. I am having to relearn my "touch" on the throttle and brakes a bit, overdid the front brake a little the first few times and introduce my junk to the tank, ouch!

Other than that I really love the bike so far, Speedo #'s could be a bit bigger but I am getting used to them too, and self canceling signals would be nice. Other than needing a few custom touches to make it mine I really like it. Some slipons, a PC III, and maybe the Buell flyscreen, which looks really nice on the 919 in the pics I have seen. Thanks again for the help
JT

post #16 of 19 Old 04-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73
Thanks for the info Guys, I put a few more miles on tonight and the stock seat really aint bad. I really noticed it as being a little low in the front cuz the Brakes are much better than what I was riding. I am having to relearn my "touch" on the throttle and brakes a bit, overdid the front brake a little the first few times and introduce my junk to the tank, ouch!

Other than that I really love the bike so far, Speedo #'s could be a bit bigger but I am getting used to them too, and self canceling signals would be nice. Other than needing a few custom touches to make it mine I really like it. Some slipons, a PC III, and maybe the Buell flyscreen, which looks really nice on the 919 in the pics I have seen. Thanks again for the help
JT
Hey... Check out the 'Flyscreen' from Honda Accessories for the 919. Easy install, and looks really good on the bike!

post #17 of 19 Old 04-29-2006, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=justintyme73]Thanks for the info Guys, I put a few more miles on tonight and the stock seat really aint bad.

I thought the same thing at first. But I found on any ride longer than 1 hour that my rear got quite sore from the stocker. I found the ultimate craigslist score on a NIB corbin. Yes it's heavy, yes the passenger part is alot thicker and looks a lil out of place and yes they are not cheap. BUT the level of comfort is SOOOOOO much better. Hard to explain without putting a couple hours in the saddle. Trust me you will never ever look back.

And for the flyscreens I have the stock honda one and it makes a huge diff at speed. It looks a lil goofy with the brownish plexi but shoot it with some flat black and it's perfect.

Pelon

post #18 of 19 Old 04-29-2006, 11:17 AM
cyclerider105

Welcome to the site. I've got the Satos and a PCIII and I LOVE it. A great bike and I'm sure you will have a blast!

post #19 of 19 Old 04-30-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks again guys, you are right the Honda flyscreen does look good, especially painted black. Had to work the last couple days and havent gotten to ride, but I am going to go out for a bit this afternoon even though the weather isnt the greatest today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode