New 919 lover upgrads and questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New 919 lover upgrads and questions

So i finaly saved the cash to buy my 919 I have been ridding for 10 years live on vancouver island ( best place to ride in Canada for sure.) This is only my fourth motorbike ive owned and man am I impressed.

quick questions just because i can Whats the best bang for buck and good in rain saddle bags and i dont really want a bracket at all.
Also wondering about bar end mirrors that fit renthal bars.
and decent not giant top mount mirrors
These little ones give me a great view of my elbow.
and when i got up over 200kph the mirrors actual folled back it was hillarious not that i should be needing them at that speed.

My bike has the following on purchase.

bigger front sprocket
BMW headlight ( the crazy bright blue one and man is it bright even in the day.
renthal bars
bafelectomy
small silly blinker that you cant see.
heated grips
shitty rearview mirrors.
got the bike with 3200km 3 weeks ago and it now has 5000km

pretty darn happy with it
bullet proof engine for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Welcome! Do you have a riding season or is it possible to ride 12 months of the year?

Check this out:

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...ltra-lows.html

A few of us have gone this route with mirrors to get rid of that awful Micky Mouse mirrors - they look good and work really well - are cheap too.

Link to the BMW headlight?

Engine and transmission is bulletproof as you say. The rear OEM shock, is well, shocking! Look at upgrading that as well - I'm still saving my pennies to do so!

PS - We are looking at making a move - Vancouver is at the top of the list of places to go - maybe we'll go for a ride one day!

post #3 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

sweet thanks

Victoria's ridding season is pretty sweet by far and away the best in canada. Last year i parked my other bike for 9 days and that was a really bad year. the nine days it snowed but i grinned and brrrred it the other three months of FALL/winter.

The BMW headlight is really the sweetest upgrade of all time and this comming from someone that has been ridding for years sure all older bikes but this thing is crazy bright and blue.
Im getting at least 30 feet in front of me and 20 on each side not joke.
Im pretty sure its a conversion from a new BMW car headlight unfortuanitly I did not do the upgrade but if it burns out which supposedly it wont ill let you know im sure if you role down to your local bmw car place they can confirm a price and maybe show you one of the bulbs.
its awesome you start the bike up and at first you get this awesome euro strobe light effect untill you hit the gas and then its solid.

So what kind of rear shock are people using and is it bolt on I ride two up on long trips alot so im sure my girlfriend will appreciate it .
and i will definitly get some mirrors.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #5 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The bike is sprung for 2 people. If you ride double, you're set.

If you ride by yourself, the rear is a jackhammer.

Unless you have a bunch of money to toss, rough up the stock mirrors and zap them with a good rattlecan, like Rustolium, or Krylon.

post #6 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
If you ride by yourself, the rear is a jackhammer.
I hope to know by the end of this week if RICOR is going to make a solution for this horrible rear shock. If they do, it will be great. I've been able to test several shocks for them, and they are fantastic for racers, but, they're just as fantastic for non-racers. If you want racing examples, they made their name mostly in Paris-Dakar off-road, but, look up David Raff's SV650 win last weekend by 23 seconds....they sequestered his bike to see what engine modifications he may have made to cheat: it was the RICOR shock that replaced the Penske racing shock that was the only difference. If you want to see non-racer examples, look up the KLR650 forum...the one that ends in ".net". It's a completely new technology.

They have my bike in the shop this entire week to see if they can put it on our bikes. Got my fingers crossed....

post #7 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The bike is sprung for 2 people. If you ride double, you're set.
Sorry mate, but have to respectfully disagree. Maybe its the difference in road quality that we have we have here and other factors. My missus is by no means a large bird and when we are 2 up, the front is noticably "in the air" with the shock bottoming out as par for the course on our ride. I have had my bike looked at by race professionals and the consensus is: the OEM rear unit is useless. It was basically just slapped on to get the bike out the door. Unofficial word from a few mechanics, etc. in the industry, seems to be that at the time Honda was competing with the likes of Suzuki, to put a cheap litre class naked on the road and cut corners with finish and suspension.

post #8 of 15 Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
I have had my bike looked at by race professionals and the consensus is: the OEM rear unit is useless. It was basically just slapped on to get the bike out the door. Unofficial word from a few mechanics, etc. in the industry, seems to be that at the time Honda was competing with the likes of Suzuki, to put a cheap litre class naked on the road and cut corners with finish and suspension.
That's the way mine feels. I can't wait until I get back to the shop on Friday to see if RICOR is going to make a solution for this problem.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Tire abuser

Great to see another BC rider! We get a little (a lot) more snow in the interior but that just means it's time for the wife and me to go on another bike trip to the Island and get some pizza at the Sidecar Cafe.

I think the BMW headlight you are talking about is an HID conversion, right? You can do that through other companies, too - there are a ton of companies selling kits for various import cars. At the shop, we would buy car kits, split them in two, and sell the HIDs for motorcycles for around $150. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, even on the 919 (although the stock headlight isn't that bad).

And yeah, that rear shock is the crappiest thing on the bike (other than the 'helmet lock').

post #10 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 PM
GitrFixdUp

BC Riders

Welcome to WT

I too am from BC - Vernon exactly, so maybe I'll be seeing the Kamloops rider soon?

I agree with the Renthal handlebars, but even more so of the Aprilia mirrors...

for $70 your local Aprilia dealer can get you some Tuono mirrors, they look great, and work excellent... be prepared to wait several weeks for delivery.

By far the most impressive upgrades I've made to mine were Sato slipon exhaust, and a Power Commander. However you must be prepared to wear earplugs regularly, as these cans turn heads - all of them.

As for saddlebags, look at the Chase Harper Stealth bags, and consider what you'd like to carry on the bike... unless you go for racks you won't likely see completely waterproof... of consideration also you may think of a top box... you can get an SW-Motech topbox rack that mounts right to the grab bar bolts, so it can likely be removed quite easily. I have the Givi topbox rack, and I wouldn't even consider switching it off the bike - definately a hassle.

read through the most excellent thread https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...19-owners.html for additional tips, particularly with regards to a few items needing locktite, and which frame sliders NOT to use.

believe me about the locktite tips, within 200km my shift lever fell off.

If you want to have any engine protection, Givi makes quite a nice looking crash bar, though research suggests that it may reduce your available lean angle, and due to its mount points seems to rattle apart. I purchased the SW-Motech crash bars, and I believe they are well suited to the bike... otherwise ensure that you are not getting cheap engine mounted frame sliders rather than the more secure frame mounted ones.

have fun with your new bike

post #11 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 AM
McTavish

to rgweist in Vernon

I'm in Calgary and have been looking for saddle bags.
Thanks for the tip on the Chase Harper but how reasonable a size are they if you have a passenger on the bike?
The only time I would ever have saddlebags on my 919 is if my wife was riding on the back.
I have stock footpegs and a Corbin seat.
Do you have your saddlebags right up next to the exhaust cans or with a bit of gap for some cooling air.
I'd appreciate your experience and comments.

post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 11:17 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i've got these love them and ride 2 up alot. misses says they don't bother her at all

Cortech :: Luggage :: TriBag Saddlebag

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
McTavish

Cortech TriBag Saddlebag

drewvir,

Thanks for the reply.
I went to the Cortech website right away and had a look.
They look to have more features and be able to hold a bit more stuff.
I like the heat insulator on the outside, excellent idea.
I have a Corbin seat and Yosh TRS slipons.
What are you running in terms of seat and cans ?
How do the saddlebags "fit up and rest" with your setup?
Are the bag bottoms and/or inside faces resting on the cans?
I'm just trying to visualize how they look mounted on your bike.
I'd appreciate any more feedback you can give me.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
drewvir,

Thanks for the reply.
I went to the Cortech website right away and had a look.
They look to have more features and be able to hold a bit more stuff.
I like the heat insulator on the outside, excellent idea.
I have a Corbin seat and Yosh TRS slipons
What are you running in terms of seat and cans ?.stock seat,d&d

How do the saddlebags "fit up and rest" with your setup?fit tight against the cans with no movement
Are the bag bottoms and/or inside faces resting on the cans?yes
I'm just trying to visualize how they look mounted on your bike.
I'd appreciate any more feedback you can give me.
see above, feel your yoshi's after you ride my d&d's aren't very warm i can hold them with bare hands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 005a.jpg (43.8 KB, 31 views)

post #15 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM
McTavish

919 Cortech TriBag saddle bags

Thanks for the added info and picture of them on your bike.
I'll put a set on my Christmas list.
The Yosh cans get warm, but not real hot.
It sounds as they are are warmer than your DDs but are not into the melting zone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode