Need some input on Givi Luggage - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Need some input on Givi Luggage

Hey guys I am thinking about getting some Givi hard luggage. What's the Pro's and Con's any advise. Thanks Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I have Givi, Jetblast has Givi and Ridge Runner has Givi. None of us have the same boxes and we all are happy. (well maybe not Jetblast, but that wasn't until he saw how much nicer Ridge's top box was!)

I strongly recommend the Tail lights if you are getting a top box. Very bright and added safety for a long trip

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

All the customers that have purchased GIVI products have nothing but good things to say about it... very good product indeed. I have no first hand experienced though.

post #4 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Great stuff.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I've got the monolock tail box and added their brake light. It does a great job for storage, doubles as a cheap back rest (no pad) for my passenger. The extra tail light visibility is a huge safety difference. But it is light duty and bounces on bumps. If it breaks, I'll get the wider/stable monokey platforms V46/E460. I like the tail pack better than panniers to keep narrow and plus it always more passenger room. For turning performance avoid putting any heavy items in the tail pack. I put all dense items locks etc. in the tank bag.

post #6 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Excellent product. Givi makes a tough, durable product with lots of options for storage. My advice is to go with the monokey system, as it gives you better range of products, and you only need one key to open/remove the case from the bike. Big +1 to what f4iguy said about the taillight kit. After looking at his on the Tiger, I will be adding that option to my current setup. Just for comparison, I have the V46 topcase (very roomy, and the second largest you can get. f4iguy has the E52 maxia), and I use the E21 side cases for longer trips. It is more than enough storage ifor my needs.

post #7 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
It is more than enough storage ifor my needs.
Only because you do not travel with a blender and liquor

Spoiler:
post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Got a V46 tail bag. Love it. Of course the bike looks sexier without it but it is so practical and reliable. Locking storage means I can actually take my laptop with me and have it protected and locked away if I stop somewhere.

The latching mechanism was not intuitive at first but very good once you get used to it. For me it is the best single mod I have done because it means I can ride more times when I might have taken the car.

David

post #9 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

I got the E41 side cases.. make the bike look like it has big "hips" .. but the functionallity just cant be beat.. got the SW Motech racks they come off in a flash for the sunday morning rides (with the sport bike crowd) or ride loaded up to the weekend playground (AR, TX hill country, Deals Gap).. take it all off and put it in the hotel room....
thinking about adding a topcase as well (would feel better with the laptop stowed flat)

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #10 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Team Hornet

I had a Givi E35 top box on my ZZR, just big enough for a helmet and a pair of gloves, but completely utterly 100% waterproof. Very much recommended.

I was so impressed I have spent some serious dollars on a replacement for the Hornet (it's a newer and different plate, so I can't use the same box). The box is an E360N and as it's slightly larger I can get my Targus backpack in without folding the top down.

All I need now is for my dealer to hassle the wholesaler on my behalf as they have supplied me with the rack rails and the top box but no mounting plate...and then everyone took two weeks off over Christmas...

The fitting of the rack rails was a bit of a challenge, the instructions are a bit minimalist. Luckily once you work out where the rails bolt on and reconcile that to your stock of mounting hardware it all goes together fine .

post #11 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM
2006 919

I hope to revive this thread and get some information.

I have purchased the sw motech top rack for my 919, and will get the sw motech side racks this weekend.
I like the fact as another poster has said that you can take them off quickly so the bike is naked once again.

I have 2 e360 side cases, I will probably use one as a topcase for commuting and city driving
and get another case for any long hauls.
if anyone knows where to get givi cases inexpensively or wants to sell theirs please let me know.

I showed the bike with the topcase to a friend (he has 25 years riding experience although not with a topcase) and he said that " the motorcycle companies work so hard to make the bike stable and you are putting on a topcase which is going to make the bike less stable, and as well will increase the drag on the bike"
any truth to this , I know some of you have even bigger topcases than I do ( I think the e52 maxia holds a jacuzzi, and a wetbar inside)
any experience with destability or increased drag???

(I don't think I will use the topcase to transport large quanties of bottled beverages)

I do like the convenience of having a hard case on top, it makes going to the office and the gym etc etc alot easier.
the topcase also holds a large full face helmet.

Please tell me your opinions.

post #12 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Mr. Clean - there's a lot of good, bad, and ugly stories about top cases. The most notable is the recent removal of dozens of ST1300's from the UK police force. A member of the force there was killed on an ST13 while in high speed pursuit. The report hinted at a 'death wobble' at speeds over 100. Honda was blamed initially, "front end comes 'unglued'". Since then it was determined that the top cases the department had installed were the culprit.

Nearly everyone agrees that they can (not will) upset the bike at high speeds. Seems that there are more reports of problems when loaded down (which usually means overloaded since most are rated to carry only about 10 pounds) and riding solo.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #13 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Tell your friend to repeat those exact words on ADVrider forums, and let us know the responses he gets. It boils down to the fact that thousands of riders are using topcases, and panniers every day without anything out of the ordinary occuring to them. In fact, in many cases, the boxes and racks have saved riders from serious injury, and bike damage from spills. Ask your friend why almost every bike manufacturer makes side cases and top cases for many of their models if it causes instability.

Sorry if it sounds cold, but your friend should not give such advice until looking at a broader picture. Check out amotostuff.com for some good prices on Givi cases. That was where I bought all of mine from.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Givi Top Cases

just this past weekend I did 600+ miles on a trip from north of Seattle around the loop of Mt. St. Helens and on to Portland for the airshow. I had a E460 on it for this trip. I also have an E35. I had this thing crammed with as much as I could possible put in it. On the stretch home I hit 125 mph with absolutely no instability felt at all. And for the nit-pickers this speed was from the GPS, not the speedo so I'm pretty confident it was accurate.

I love the Givi luggage. Yes, it detracts from the naked look, but they are just too practical to not consider them, and they come off in about 10 seconds. I'll be adding the E41 side cases in September with the bonus funds.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

OK, on the Tiger, the bike is no different until 95mph.
If i wanted, I could raise the forks in the trees just a hair to compensate, however minimal riding is about 95mph anyway. Especially on a commute.

I have ridden through a hurricane, several nast storms, high winds, etc... all with a top box and side cases. No issues.

An SUV is more likely to tip when loaded. Would you then not drive it?

Undestand what you are riding and you will have no problems.

Spoiler:
post #16 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I used a GIVI 360N as a top case and the E41N side cases on a 7000 mile tour last year. There was no wobble or feeling of instability at any time, including triple digit speeds. They didn't change the feel of the bike. The cases don't leak and don't rattle. If you need to carry a lot of stuff and want to offer maximum protection and security for that stuff with minor inconvenience, GIVI is a great way to go.

post #17 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I would think a topcase would have to be better than the Ventura luggage I tour with as far as stability. I don't even think about the luggage after the first five miles, and have been as high as 128 MPH per the GPS with it on. It adds some weight, but it's not as much as a passenger.

I block most, if not all of the airflow that would hit it, so I don't see that being a problem. Bugs that get past the windscreen end up on me, not the bag. I guess crosswinds could effect it, but if I didn't get blown off the road touring out west this summer then I'd count that out.

I run my Ventura luggage way past the rated load limit. If I hit the dreaded speed wobble someday I'll just bail off in the grass. Until then, I'll keep riding. Long story short, I think you're okay.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
Please tell me your opinions.

nah bro, your friend is stoned, maybe he's been stoned for 25 years. Sounds more like he wants to show you that he knows everything.

Had my GS to 110mph with topcase alone. 105mph with topcase and sidecases. Bike did just fine. Besides no point in running them if you're not using them and nobody, me included, has any business going that fast all loaded up.

post #19 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Back in the day

I tour with a Ventura Pack and a set of Chase Harper soft saddlebags, a tank bag and a back pack. Even with all the bags loaded and running at above posted speed limits I have had no problems even in the rain. The vast majority of the additional weight is located where the passenger would be. Even fully loaded, the weight of a passenger would be much greater. The saddlebags effect the bike the most, I assume that they are creating the most drag, they are wide. The Ventura pack is not noticeable at all, even when over filled, the norm. I think that the Give hard bags are more waterproof then the soft stuff. That is what they make garbage bags and liners for, I guess. One good thing about Hard bags is that you can lock them. The soft stuff comes off the bike fast and there are no brackets left on the bike, except the Ventura rack which then becomes a hand grip/sport rack for daily use.

post #20 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
2006 919

Thank you

Thank you for your good advice
I took the bike up to about xxx with no ill effects.
not loaded up with bottles but with my gym gear and so far no ill effects.
I am taking it to vermont this weekend.
to put on the side cases.
I agree with the writers above, most of the wind and bugs are blocked by me.
And after trying it out the givi topcase is pretty convenient.
waterproof and you can lock it.
I was going to buy an e460 top case but I have two shoei large helmets and they do not fit inside ( despite what the manufacturer claims and yes I took out the document holder ) if you know how to fit them in please tell me.

I had looked into the ventura rack, instead of the hard case, but I feel that soft luggage of any kind (tank bag, saddle bags, rear luggage) has to be removed when you get off the bike.
I would feel paranoid going into a resto for lunch and leaving my luggage on my bike.
with the hard case locked I dont.

from what I gather,
a. my friend is talking out of his hat with no knowledge of the effect of a topcase and just his assumption
b. notwithstanding there may be some wobbling or instability if the topcase is badly overloaded. (so much for transporting those gold bricks)
c. my girlfriend puts more drag on my bike than the topcase or even side bags.
d. wristtwisters is a great place to get informed opinions on these things from people with experience.

Thank you all for your help

post #21 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
I was going to buy an e460 top case but I have two shoei large helmets and they do not fit inside ( despite what the manufacturer claims and yes I took out the document holder ) if you know how to fit them in please tell me.
My friend has an E460N and he can squeeze two full face helmets in there. I know he said it's really tight. I think he puts one on its side and the other face up but I can ask him. And I'm not sure what sizes the helmets are either.

2009 Honda Goldwing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode