Need Some Advise - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Need Some Advise

Friday morning had a gut basically come into my lane which caused me to drop the bike going about 30 broke many of things on bike but i can fix all luckly i had trex engine guard and frame sliders that took most of impact besides my week old crg mirrors. i would like advise with what all to do with insurance his insurance is taking care of me i never had an accident on bike before if they total it out do i get to still keep the bike? should i make the damage seem worse than what it is because maybe they dont give alot for bike?? im in louisiana

thanks

chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If they total it you do not get to keep the bike. It goes to the insurance company. They usually set a buy back value that you can then purchase it for. It won't have a clean title anymore.
Um ... your last question ... the adjuster will decide how much damage there is and set a value. That value determines if it is repairable or total loss. If you mean should you damage it more, no. That's fraud.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 8 Old 06-26-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

SORRY I WASNT CLEAR I DIDNT MEAN DAMAGE IT MORE BECAUSE THE BIKE IS STILL GOOD GOOD I MEANT PULL SOME FUSES, DEFLATE SOME TIRES, MAYBE MOVE SOME STUFF AROUND ALITTLE SORRY BOUT ALL CAPS AND THEY STAY ON LOCK SOMETIMES

post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Like Jim said, it's fraud.

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Tesserarius

Get something different like a Super Duke, Street Fighter, Tuono. Used bikes are cheap. I'd like to have one of everything. Bike Buffet....

post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 08:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Depends on the value set and how old the bike is etc etc... I've known a few guys who's bikes got "totalled" and were allowed to buy it back as a salvage title bike with some payout for the damages. I got hit on my last bike and the repairs cost more than the bike, and they gave me an option to have them keep it and get more money, or take less money and keep the bike. I got paid out more than I paid for the bike originally, got to keep it with a clean title, and then sold it for slightly less than I bought it for without repairing anything (was still ride able and safe, just significantly less pretty) Worked out great for me, and got me enough money to buy the 919!

that being said... Don't mess with anything on the bike to make it seem worse, that's just asking for trouble and is an awful idea.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2018, 05:57 AM
Pilus Posterior

I had this happen to my prior bike. They totaled it so the value given was based on replacement costs. I think it was some $1500 or so. I opted to buy back the bike and that was a mistake.

They charged some $300 or so for the buy back but the DMV charged about 100 for the new title and 100+ for an inspection. So the cost was 500+ just to keep the bike and I started having trouble after that because the alt went out and a number of other problems.

I could have bought a parts bike for less trouble.

Watch out for things you can't see. My engine was never touched because of the crash bars, but the alt went bad. I guess the impact was enough for something to give or bend.

Be careful what you do. What I should have done is strip the bike of anything of value and let them take it. Then go out and buy another one.

Also, the DMV doesn't give you any discount for a salvaged bike, the reg fees are based on value, the value is 1/2 but they don't adjust for that.

I argued with them after the 1st offer. Came up with receipts for jeans, helmet, etc.. You gear devalues, add up the boots, belt, sunglasses... all adds up. They gave me $50 for a tear in a Corbin seat... There's NO CHANCE you'll get that seat fixed for $50. It's a special type of material that I can't seem to find anywhere. Corbin wants nearly as much for a NEW seat as they do for a recover. The suck part is that I had a nice Corbin with NO tears, now it has a tear and I can't get back to where it was for $50.

You can argue this in court. Get an email from companies for replacing things.

The offer you get might be 2/3's of what they'll settle for. Always argue. You can take them to court, the time will costs them more than it's worth.

It's all about how much of their time you want to spend. The court will give you more than they've offered, but how much time are you willing to spend.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 AM
The Cripple

Bottom line is value determined based on fair market value. It's not rocket science. Look on craigslist and local ads for similar 919s with similar mileage to help determine value. Use that info to negotiate with the company on how much they are to pay you.

Don't forget replacement gear either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode