need Saddle bag advice - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Riding naked

need Saddle bag advice

well ive posted this some where else but i like you guys better I want to start taking weekend trips with my 919 and was thinking about some saddle bags. I have a tank bag I like but it is just not enough. I was thinking of thesehttp://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/s...addlebags.html but not sure if being so close to the pipes would cause a problem of mounting them as well. I like how the cortech bags attach to the tail bag and come off as one unit but am willing to look at others. any suggestions

Your help is appreciated

Btw this is my first post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Tirone

I have the Cortech bags. I used them last week on a 3 day 1700 mile ride. My bike has the stock exhaust.

I love the bags. They are well made and I had no issues with them getting to hot.

post #3 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Immune

I use the cortech tail bag. I'm super happy with it. Good quality. Looks nice.

I would buy cortech again for sure.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

hey Swordknives - welcome to the site! I can't help you with your bag question but if you have a favorite online source for knives & stuff feel free to post it in this other thread: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15032

post #5 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Optio

http://www.chaseharper.com/BBags/BBags.htm

I have what appears to be the speed back. Saddle bags attach to the tail bag. Together with my tank back grocery shoping is easy. Let alone weekend trips.

Stock pipes or aftermaket doesn't matter. Never had an issue with heat hurting the bags or the icecream inside them on a trip home from walmart. Or my socks on a cross country trip.

post #6 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Optio

Oh, and these bags are truely water proof if one uses the inside liners.

post #7 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Ads
Tirone

Have you guys got some pictures of your 919s with these bags on? I checked the site and they have a few pictures on other bikes, but Id like to see how they look on our bike..

Cheers

post #8 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Tirone

Here is a picture of the Cortech's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (21.0 KB, 92 views)

post #9 of 24 Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Tirone??

These are Dowco's. They worked so great for me when I when on a 2 week trip to Minnesota. With my stock exhaust, they never got hot, and they include a heat shield. Also, the little red strip in the side of the bag has inserts to match the color of your bike, or you can just remove them to be black. I like them.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #10 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post
These are Dowco's. They worked so great for me when I when on a 2 week trip to Minnesota. With my stock exhaust, they never got hot, and they include a heat shield. Also, the little red strip in the side of the bag has inserts to match the color of your bike, or you can just remove them to be black. I like them.

+1 on the Dowco Deluxe Rally Packs. I've got just the side bags and they work great. The built-in, zipped up rain covers work great. They come with 6 color swatches that you can interchange for either, black, silver, red, blue, yellow, or green.

Forgot to include the link... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Saddlebag.aspx

post #11 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotsteam View Post

The heat shields on these bags, is it on the backside or the bottom like most of them? On the inside or external? I don't have the stock exhaust or heat shields so I need to be certain the my bags and belongings don't fry!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #12 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

The bottom of the bags are made of heat resistant nylon and there is a external piece that you can slip over the straps that goes between the bags and your bike. I was told, when I bought these bags, that this was a heat shield. I have stock exhaust too and the bags do not even get hot. However, these "heat shields" look like a protective mat that keeps the bags from chafing the bike. I'll try to make it outside the office and take some crappy cell phone photos shortly.

post #13 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Tirone??

The heat shields can be placed in two different directions from what I recall. If you put it with the soft side towards the exhaust, it seems to ruin the heat shield, but if you put it soft side towards the bag, the heat shield works great. I borrowed these from my cousin for this trip, and do not have them with me right now... Otherwise I could snap a picture as well.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #14 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Here are some poor cell phone pictures from the parking lot. Hope it helps.

I did notice that the heat shield material is on one side of the panel, and the other side is a soft non-scratch foam compound. I don't want to turn them around because it is pretty rough nylon and I'm anal about my things. I've had them on for about 200 miles and so far no problems with melting or heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC-0014.jpg (151.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg PIC-0013.jpg (236.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg PIC-0011.jpg (205.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PIC-0010.jpg (205.5 KB, 56 views)

post #15 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Red Rider

Thanks for posting the pics so quick! I assume then that the " heat shields" did come with the bags and not extra? What if any tail bag are you using with the bags?

2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #16 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Red Rider

When you get another chance could you shoot a couple of close shots of the mounting on your OEM windscreen? I was givin one last weekend that didn't come with any hardware, now I need to figure out how to mount it? Thanks again!!!!

2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #17 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

The heat shield/pads came with the bags. I'm heading out to lunch so I'll try to snap some shots of the windscreen and send them to you when I get back.

post #18 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

I prefer my Ventura rack/bag setup (photos when I can find one) to saddlebags. The system requires replacing the rear grab bar with their brackets; a variety of racks and a grab bar can be purchased to fit into their brackets, and corresponding luggage. I have the grab bar, the Euro Rack (and Euro Bag, which is great for traveling and grocery runs), and a plain grab bar for everyday.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/...ef34f58aa1.jpg

Their site: http://www.ventura-bike.com/

post #19 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Ads
Tirone

Thank you for posting the pictures.. It makes a big difference seeing them on the bike you want to fit them to

With the Dowcos... do they provide any form of security if you leave the bike unattended? THey seem pretty nice to me but Im guessing Id have to take them off and carry them with me?

Im unsure whether to go the saddlebags or to mount a rack, ventura style.. Im just not sold on the look of the ventura rack.. maybe it will grow on me the more pictures I find on it. Im sure in regards to practicality its the sensible option. Ill be doing a stack of 2-3 day touring on this bike, with an upcoming 10 day tour that I need to plan for. So storage is important, as well as allowing for a pillion if I can ever convince the wife to jump on

post #20 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
NAKED & IN LUV

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/a...0&d=1216031897 here is another pic ventura system

post #21 of 24 Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Tirone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Thank you for posting the pictures.. It makes a big difference seeing them on the bike you want to fit them to

With the Dowcos... do they provide any form of security if you leave the bike unattended? THey seem pretty nice to me but Im guessing Id have to take them off and carry them with me?

Im unsure whether to go the saddlebags or to mount a rack, ventura style.. Im just not sold on the look of the ventura rack.. maybe it will grow on me the more pictures I find on it. Im sure in regards to practicality its the sensible option. Ill be doing a stack of 2-3 day touring on this bike, with an upcoming 10 day tour that I need to plan for. So storage is important, as well as allowing for a pillion if I can ever convince the wife to jump on
The Dowco's do not offer any protection unprotected. I have been real happy with them tho. I used the soft rubber side toward the exhaust for a while, but it started messing up the soft rubber, so I flipped it around and it offers lots more protection from the heat.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #22 of 24 Old 09-23-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Riding naked

Wow! thanks for all the replies and pictures. So far om going for the
chase-harper bags, just in case I ever upgrade the stock cans. It does seem however that the heat shield and bags do not come together.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Red Rider

You should check this bag out, we got one for my wifes 599 and it mounts up GREAT and I dont have to worry about exhaust or anything else!!!

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3128

It also holds plenty! I will be using this myself instead of bags, VERY good quality as well!! Check it out! If anyone is interested let me know and I can snap some pics of it, we are loading it up tonight so she can head to Bikes, Blues and BBQ in the morning!

2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #24 of 24 Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

I use the nelson riggs bags.They stay on the bike all the time no heat issues with stock pipes..I have even delivered Icecream to the inlaws.I used a plastic ice block (the blue kind),drove for 20-25 min at 65+ ,in 85 deg.The ice cream was still solid when I got there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode