Need Opinions - 02-04 Speed Triple V/S 02-04 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Need Opinions - 02-04 Speed Triple V/S 02-04 919

Everyone,

Yes, I read Simpson's post about the differences with the new 919 and S3. I am looking at a used Speed Triple or a 919 soon. I have had the opportunity to ride a 2004 S3 SE. That was a NICE bike. Can anyone give me the differences on the older (02-04) S3s and 919s? I am looking at around $5-6K at most, so the new ones are out.

What I have seen so far (please correct where I might be wrong):

919 Pros:
Looks
Location of nearest Honda Shop (15 minutes)
Ergos seem like they may be slightly better...haven't ridden one yet
Cost (about 500-1K cheaper usually)

919 Cons:
Seat (dis)comfort
Handlebar buzz
Needs more room on top gear (70mph roads all around)
No adjustments on front susp

S3 Pros:
Looks (OK, I like em both)
Better seat
Smooth power (no buzz noticed during test ride)
Better top gear for interstate
Full adjustment susp
Single sided swingarm

S3 Cons:
Cost slightly higher
Seems like more aggressive riding position - long distance comfort?
Shop location (1 hr 15min away)

The insurance quotes came same the same for both bikes, so that didn't help any. I know that a new seat and bars would be needed for the 919, so the cost difference then is minimized. Does anyone have input that could help? I have talked to all the local dealers and no one has the 919 used. They don't offer test rides on a new 919 either which makes it more difficult for me to decide.

My other option is to wait about 6 months to a year to get mine and get a smaller bike (500-600cc) now because my wife is getting ready to get her license and neither of these would be a good learner bike for her. Or get the 919, skip the seat and bars and get a Nighthawk 250 or similar for her to start on.

Thanks,

Shawn

or

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Stop over at my house and we will go riding!
If you have detailed questions, PM me.

post #3 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Unbannable

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.ph...16369&forum=19

Here is a good link on S3 issues.

IMO the 919 is a lot better than the older S3's. My buddy has one so we swtich a lot.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Simpson,

I would love to, but live in TX. My folks still live in VA, but probably won't be there until my kids spring break. Hopefully, I will have one of the 2 by January. Still may look you up when I am in town. Would be fun to meet some people from here.

Super Sneaky, I have looked there at that site (and asked this same question as well). I figured they would be good to get the pros and cons of the S3, and with all the Horn-nuts here, get all the 919 info here. I know there are also some S3 people here (and Triumph in general).

Thanks,

Shawn

post #5 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

04' 919 has preload + rebound adjustments front and rear. The S3 is pure hooliganism.
That said: I'm biased on this choice. I have too many bad memories of English bikes pre 1970. None from the modern era however once you get burned on a make it is hard to look at new one objectively.

post #6 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Speed 3 vs 919..... no losers in that. You're not making a lifetime commitment. Ride one for a year, then trade again.

Consider a 250 ninja for your Sweetie. They are a standard bike dressed up like s sportbike. I had one for 2 years starting when my son turned 17. They are low, light, comfy, easy to ride, great gas mileage, low maintainence, bulletproof (mine got beat on all the time and kept coming back for more), and they're inexpensive if you buy used. Much cooler than a Nighthawk. you would occationally ride a 250 Ninja, and like it, but I'll bet you wouldn't ride a Nighthawk.

post #7 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
I know that a new seat and bars would be needed for the 919, so the cost difference then is minimized.
Just remember, these issues are more a matter of personal perception then outright blatant problems. If half the people you talk to don't like the seat, that means half the people do. It's really going to come down to how your rump fits. On my previous bike (2005 M50 Boulevard) I couldn't go more than an hour without severe discomfort. Other guys could ride all day on it. I can go much further time and distances on my 919, where some would feel cramped. As for the buzziness, it feels smooth as glass to me. It doesn't numb my hands one bit, but it may numb yours. You just never know until you get some first hand experiance riding that particular model since we're all affected so differently by them.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
Just remember, these issues are more a matter of personal perception then outright blatant problems. If half the people you talk to don't like the seat, that means half the people do. It's really going to come down to how your rump fits. On my previous bike (2005 M50 Boulevard) I couldn't go more than an hour without severe discomfort. Other guys could ride all day on it. I can go much further time and distances on my 919, where some would feel cramped. As for the buzziness, it feels smooth as glass to me. It doesn't numb my hands one bit, but it may numb yours. You just never know until you get some first hand experiance riding that particular model since we're all affected so differently by them.
That's some sound advice there.

My only thing with the S3 is simply this.... It's not a Honda. It's mean and sexy as hell.. but sadly, at the end of the day.. well.. ok you get my biased point.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #9 of 16 Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 16 Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Another quick question. I cannot find a 919 to test ride around here anywhere, but I know the dealer has a new 06 sitting on the floor. I talked to them today and they quoted me MSRP for the sale price. How much should a new 06 be? I know they can mark it down, but how much of a markdown? I don't know that I will be able to afford that much, but it may be worth a shot. That way I can baby it through the break-in instead of wondering how it was treated.

Shawn

post #11 of 16 Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 AM
Unbannable

I paid $8,500 OTD for a new 06 919 a few months ago. I've seen left overs go for as little as $7,500 if you're a good bargin hunter.

I love my stock bars by the way. They are the perfect size and shape and are very comfortable. I also like the stock seat on the 9er, but as with any stock seat, it could be better.

post #12 of 16 Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
Simpson,

I would love to, but live in TX. My folks still live in VA, but probably won't be there until my kids spring break. Hopefully, I will have one of the 2 by January. Still may look you up when I am in town. Would be fun to meet some people from here.

Super Sneaky, I have looked there at that site (and asked this same question as well). I figured they would be good to get the pros and cons of the S3, and with all the Horn-nuts here, get all the 919 info here. I know there are also some S3 people here (and Triumph in general).

Thanks,

Shawn
Look me up, I'll give you the tour...

post #13 of 16 Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

post #14 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

after driving about 30 miles on the S3 I like it but the differences that really stood out to me between the 919 and S3 were the brakes on the S3 really didn't have all the stopping power I was expecting, but from what i read about it was the same that the reviews gave it, basically 919 stock brakes seem better to me than the S3. The S3 also wasn't as quick to turn in as the 919 quick and lovely flickablity!!! It was still under it's brake in period so i never wound it up so i have no comparablity of power but under 3500 it seemed similar in power!

The sound hmmm nice!! REally want to hear a arrow shorty on one.

Maybe i'd feel differently if i spent more time on it but i wouldn't replace my 919 with it but i would diffently add it to the garage as a stable mate!!

oh yea pretty cool videos!

post #15 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Texas is a mighty big place, can you be more specific? I'm in Houston but I know we have board members near Dallas and Austin. If you're near Houston I'll let you test ride as long as you agree to you break it you fix it.

Both bikes are good but it boils down to what type of riding you plan to do most. If you are like me, I'm a commuter who occasionally does the twisties. The 919 is a better commuter ride.

If you commute in the cage and the bike is mainly a weekend toy, get the triumph.

David

post #16 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Signifer

Awards Showcase

DJS,

I am in the Killeen / Waco area. Actually just west of Killeen in Copperas Cove. Thanks for the offer, and if I was closer I would take you up on it.

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode