Need Help with Brake Lights! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Need Help with Brake Lights!

My brake light is illumined like it should be when the brakes are applied, but the brakes are not being applied. The brake light doesn't change when the front or rear brakes are applied. Just wondering where the problem might possibly lie. Any HELP would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

It's most likely either the front brake or rear brake light switch. Try disconnecting the wiring to each, one at a time, until you see which one has it on. I'll bet on the rear.

Post up if you don't know where the switches are.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

where are the switches?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Stand on the right side of the bike. Shine a flashlight at the right handlebars controls. Right below the brake res. you'll see two wires. Pull one of them off and see if the brake lights go out. If so, it's your front brake switch.

Also on the right side of the bike, look in the triangle area of the footpeg. You'll see a switch with an adjusting nut on it. Wires go in the top. On the bottom of the switch is a spring that pulls the switch when the brake pedal is depressed. You can see it looking from underneath the right footpeg. That's the rear brake switch. You can try disconnecting the wires, but it's easier to loosen the adjusting nut until the switch doesn't have a downward pull tension on it (turn the nut counter-clockwise, or you guys may say anti-clockwise, looking from the top of the switch). My guess is this nut is out of adjustment.

I'd post some pics, but I've got stuff on the grill and I've got to go sample.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

When I first brought my 919 home, it had two years and <5K miles on it. I looked things over really well and when I came to the foot switch for the brake light, I felt it needed attention.

I took the thing apart and greased the innards with dielectric grease (mentioned elsewhere on this forum), and set the stroke where I wanted it so the light would come on just before applying the brake, so I can "flash" if need.

That's been four years on and I haven't had to fiddle with it since.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

GOT IT!!!! It was the foot brake, it needed adjusting. Thanks for the help.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Good deal. Nice work.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Sweet!

post #9 of 11 Old 06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
When I first brought my 919 home, it had two years and <5K miles on it. I looked things over really well and when I came to the foot switch for the brake light, I felt it needed attention.

I took the thing apart and greased the innards with dielectric grease (mentioned elsewhere on this forum), and set the stroke where I wanted it so the light would come on just before applying the brake, so I can "flash" if need.

That's been four years on and I haven't had to fiddle with it since.
How do you take the switch apart? Having issues with mine, want to do the samething. Thanks

2006 919 (Sold)
2011 Cb1000r

"oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." - Cage The Elephant
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

bump

2006 919 (Sold)
2011 Cb1000r

"oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." - Cage The Elephant
post #11 of 11 Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclong74 View Post
How do you take the switch apart? Having issues with mine, want to do the samething. Thanks
Sorry for the delay. It's been a while, but this is how it went:
I un-screwed the adjustment nut, un-clipped the spring at the lower end, then un-plugged the connector freeing the switch from the bike.
Placing the switch in a tray, I carefully disected the little bugger 'till I was down to bits. I cannot recall all the details, but it wasn't too big a challange.
Once I saw what was going on inside, I cleaned the contacts, lubed everything up with dielectric grease and reversed the process.
I see on bikebandit that this part is available for under nine bucks, so if you don't feel comfortable with tearing this thing apart, just spring for a replacement. But really, it was pretty easy to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode