Need Help PCIII install - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Need Help PCIII install

I have my PC installed on the bike, and I had it pretty much done. During the setting of the throttle position I had it working great for the closed position. I then decided to set the open, I set the postition incorrectly and now the throttle position is all over the place when the bike is running according to the software reading. I have tried resetting the full open on several occasions but it did not work. I keep getting a minimum limit message.

So how do I reset it back to the way it was before I started. I will then do the closed position only.

Thanks in advance for all your help

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

2008 Dodge Charger Inferno Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I think I know my problem. I will update when I get back to it again

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

post #3 of 7 Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin.goodyear View Post
I think I know my problem. I will update when I get back to it again
Melvin,

It sounds as though you have found your problem.
Just in case not, maybe the following will be of help to you.

When I first did mine, I was missing a "driver" for the laptop which I had to download. (I got a screen warning about a missing driver)
Without the "driver", I could not send maps to the unit.

On the 919 you can do the position synching with the engine not running.
Connect your laptop to the PCIII, turn the key to ignition on position, and do your work then.
The tutorial is pretty good in this regard. ( I do it so infrequently I have to look at it every time before doing another bike)

post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Still can't get the PCIII Throttle position to work. With the bike running the current value at idle is over 31472 and now everytime I start the bike, I get a device error: 1 in the Power Commander software. When I crank the throttle with the key turned on and the engine not running there is no change in the value.

I uploaded the firmware to the unit again to ensure there was no firmware issues. I uploaded a zero map to it as well with the same issue.

See attached screenshot, do I have a defective PCIII
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCIII issues.jpg (101.4 KB, 37 views)

2003 919 Gloss Black

post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
McTavish

Melvin,

We'll get you fixed.
I think your PCIII is OK.
The screen you sent shows the Closed numbers being the same as Open, which is a big problem that needs to be fixed. On the right, I see 50 % and a bit over 1200 RPM, which is not right either.
(Were you able to watch the Set Throttle.swf tutorial OK ? )
Ignore the instructions to do when the engine is running.
As long as your idle speed has been set and you are happy with it, do the work with engine not running.
Connect laptop to PCIII.
Turn on PC software.
Turn ignition key to on (run).
Go to Power Commander Tools.
Go to Set Throttle Position.
Hit Reset
Crank throttle open and hold it.
You will see the numbers dancing about a bit.
Get a feel for the range.
Sort of time it so the moving numbers are near the non changing number.
Click on OK.
Now go back and check Closed, per the tutorial, as though that was all you were going to do.
Once you have done Closed, check Open again.

All should be well.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thumbs up

I took another stab at it this evening and went over everything I did. I figured out one thing, a Power Commander TPS works great when you connect to the correct wire on the bike :-) I had it connected to the yellow wire with the red tracer instead of vice-versa. I couldn't find a red wire with a yellow tracer the other day, but tonight I did after I cleaned off some dirt :-)

Anyway it all works great now and I am trying the LDH map first and then I will try yours Sandy.

Thanks for all your help

Mel

2003 919 Gloss Black

post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin.goodyear View Post
I took another stab at it this evening and went over everything I did. I figured out one thing, a Power Commander TPS works great when you connect to the correct wire on the bike :-) I had it connected to the yellow wire with the red tracer instead of vice-versa. I couldn't find a red wire with a yellow tracer the other day, but tonight I did after I cleaned off some dirt :-)

Anyway it all works great now and I am trying the LDH map first and then I will try yours Sandy.

Thanks for all your help

Mel
Gotta laugh.
When I put mine on, I picked the right wire, but was scared to crimp hard on that skinny wire. Went too easy on it and it never made a good connection. Finally figured that out and a squeeze with the pliers took care of it. Then winter came. I always take the battery out. Next spring I could not get it to start. After much fuming and foaming, I made the very embarassing discovery that I missed connecting the little skinny PCIII black wire back on the negative post of the battery when I put it back in the bike.

The main thing is, you are now up and running.
Enjoy !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode