Need a longer kickstand -.- Suggestions? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Need a longer kickstand -.- Suggestions?

So i've already done a search for this, but I just installed a F4i rear shock to balance out the front Racetech springs I put in my bike, and now the entire bike has been raised. The bike rides awesome now and is perfect for my weight, but now the kickstand is too short and when I lean the bike over, it's on the verge of tipping. Any suggestions on an aftermarket longer kickstand? or is extending it via welding the best bet? Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

do you have to extend it, or could you bend it and make it work?

post #3 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Pob
Tirone

On supermotos (where you may change between road and dirt wheels - 18 " + 21" to 17") I used to drill the base of the kickstand and tap a thread in it and screw a large bolt into the bottom that would extend the stand. If I went dirt riding it was easy to remove the bolt. If you put the bike back to standard my method would be better than welding extra length to your stand.

After all you may only want to add an inch or so to the length? - said the actress to the bishop - sorry British joke

post #4 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm pretty sure bending the kickstand won't work lol. My front and rear were raised about 2".. i'm going to be lowering the front some more, but the rear is fully preloaded out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (119.6 KB, 18 views)

post #5 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 01:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

dude you are nowhere near falling over. sometimes having that extra lean is a good thing. Have you ever had to lean your bike into a hill to park it? I'd rather have my bike sitting at 30 degrees than 2 degrees

have you sat on it and tried to lean it further left while on the side stand? I bet its a lot more difficult than you think.

post #6 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Pob
Tirone

Should read large bolt of course in my post!

post #7 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
dude you are nowhere near falling over. sometimes having that extra lean is a good thing. Have you ever had to lean your bike into a hill to park it? I'd rather have my bike sitting at 30 degrees than 2 degrees

have you sat on it and tried to lean it further left while on the side stand? I bet its a lot more difficult than you think.
This is a really good suggestion. Test to see how much force is needed to lever the bike over off the lean stand foot. If the effort needed is high, no stand length adjustment is needed - regardless of how it looks.

post #8 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
I'm pretty sure bending the kickstand won't work lol. My front and rear were raised about 2".. i'm going to be lowering the front some more, but the rear is fully preloaded out.
2 inches front and back ?

post #9 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yea, 2" front and back.. and if I put a little pressure on the bike it'll just tip over. It's ridiculously easy to do a kickstand turn now though lol

post #10 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu

Gesundheit

My apologies...I couldn't resist.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Too much angle can be a very bad thing if you happen to live in an area that gets hot. How many times have WT members had sidestands sink into hot asphalt, usually resulting in a tip over? Hell, I've had centerstands sink into the ground, but it always stops as soon as the tires touch.

The "stick a bolt in it" method will work, but be sure to put as big a foot on the end as you can -- otherwise it is considerably more likely to dig into whatever it's resting on and fall over.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #12 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My dad didn't like a few of his bikes to lean too much so he would make a little platform shoe for the bottom of the stand.

post #13 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Don't modify your stock stand. Hit up a wrecker, eBay, etc. and get another one and change that one. Then if you ever take the bike back to stock to sell it you won't be on the hunt for a stand then.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Discen

if the bike know 'rides perfectly for your weight', why is it 'fully preloaded out'.
The f4 shock is designed for a linkage system, where it is attached to the swingarm, did you modify the shock or spring?. Maybe with the right spring you could drop the preload and lower the rear, and solve that problem
If it is 2 inches higher how much will you drop the front by, will this make it very twitchy and prone to tankslapping in hard acceleration when the front lightens up.
It sounds like you have altered the dynamics of the bike quite a bit,why is the front now 2inches higher. i am interested in the perfect ride you now have, thus the questions.
dave

post #15 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt View Post
if the bike know 'rides perfectly for your weight', why is it 'fully preloaded out'.
The f4 shock is designed for a linkage system, where it is attached to the swingarm, did you modify the shock or spring?. Maybe with the right spring you could drop the preload and lower the rear, and solve that problem
If it is 2 inches higher how much will you drop the front by, will this make it very twitchy and prone to tankslapping in hard acceleration when the front lightens up.
It sounds like you have altered the dynamics of the bike quite a bit,why is the front now 2inches higher. i am interested in the perfect ride you now have, thus the questions.
dave
You raise a very good point.

RaceTech's site shows the standard spring for a F4 as being 14.2 kg/mm = 795 # /inch which is woefully inadequate for a 919. I sure hope the spring has been changed, otherwise it would have to be heavily preloaded to be of any use - and even then, would never be "right".

Past that, I have a hazy recollection of someone else investigating F3 or 4 shocks and my memory is that not only are they severely undersprung, they are have a longer eye to eye length.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt View Post
dave
Don't have an answer for you. All I can tell you is I went through angeles forest today and was way more comfortable doing banks and switch backs. The suspension dynamics have been altered. The front was raised an inch and the rear was raised about 1.5" to be specific. I'm 6'0" 280lbs with gear so at this point it handles perfectly. It's a great balance between comfort and the aggressive riding I do in canyons and track. There's no tank slap or twitchiness upon hard acceleration and it's a very very civilized and proper ride.

All I was asking for was input on a kickstand lol. I didn't ask for your opinion on how my suspension is set up. You may not like how I set my suspension up but at this point i'm absolutely in love with my 919. Thanks for everybody elses input. I'm no moto gp or ama rider. I just love my bike and riding it and it's finally at a point where it's set up perfectly. Just need to take care of the loose ends now.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Discen

thats great that the bike works for you, I was just coming from another angle.. you mention that you have fully preloaded the rear, this would raise the rear a bit.
Perhaps with a different spring you could set the preload in the middle of the shocks stroke and the rear would come down.... solving the sidestand issue.
No biggie from my end, enjoy. ;-)

post #18 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Pilus Posterior

Considering you have just spend hundreds on suspenders etc, drop another $35 on a new stock stand. www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

Then cut off the foot and grap a piece of pipe that is a tight fit over the end of the stand - needs to slide up a inch or more over the stand - you may need to file the stand a small amount. Weld this to pipe to the stand - experiment with the length and when happy weld on a nice flat foot from a piect of scrap steel. Add paint. Job done.

post #19 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys! My friend actually came up with the same solution. Going to get welding. Actually may be selling my bike soon to buy an FZ1 as well haha.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Thanks guys! My friend actually came up with the same solution. Going to get welding. Actually may be selling my bike soon to buy an FZ1 as well haha.
I need to do the same thing as well.
I always thought the 919 had a higher lean angle on the stand than desired.
I've raised my bike up some, and now the bike leans over too much for my liking.
It doesn't take much effort to pull the bike over and two point it on the front tire and lean stand. I also keep a small 4x3 piece of plywood in the tailsection for any gravel parking I get stuck with the odd time. I might just get a hockey puck and dremel it out for the lean stand foot and kill two birds with one stone. The bike is always on a race stand at home and doesn't get parked very often once it's out of the garage.

post #21 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Actually may be selling my bike soon to buy an FZ1 as well haha.
lets see some pics. I'm curious about that suspension setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode