need a good HID kit - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Location: Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana... home is Columbus, GA

need a good HID kit

anyone able to tell me where to go for a good H4 hid kit for my 06' 919? im finding endless adds on ebay and google searchs, but i want to hear some good stories about people buying and using a kit. where did you get it and how much? i have a aftermarked bulb in there now and its nice, but im really getting into the looks of my bike and i want that hid edge. let the suggestions roll in! here is an up to date pic of the bike...

one of the ghost paint work, but its a little blury...on both sides of the tank and wing tips down both sids of the tail...

and one of it in "the crowd"

2006 Honda 919
2008 Lancer GTS
1998 Chevy Z71
1972 Chevelle Malibu
1968 Chevy C-10 long bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Ddm tuning

/ thread.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Ballaholic

hid's will look like crap w/o the proper projector. dont put it in the stock headilght please. i dont like to be blinded

post #4 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

3.5 hrs and the pics are gone???

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #5 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 07:18 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

For the 30-40 dollars it would take I would definitely hit up DDM Tuning and give it a shot.
Motorcycle HID Conversion Kits

Someone remind me, what type of bulbs do your 919s use? Is it an H4?

post #6 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Steve

I'm looking at their site, I think this is the one I'm gonna get for the 919...
The 6000k bulb produces the whiteish blue color that I want. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to go with the 35 watt or the 55 watt.

Wondering if the 55 watt would generate too much heat? (Read the bulb color faq on their site for more info)

DDM 35W & 55W Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit
Product ID: BIKESINGLEHILOH4HL-6000K
Wattage: 35W
Bulb Type: H4 Hi/Lo
Bulb Color: 6000K

Steve

post #7 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
I'm looking at their site, I think this is the one I'm gonna get for the 919...
The 6000k bulb produces the whiteish blue color that I want. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to go with the 35 watt or the 55 watt.

Wondering if the 55 watt would generate too much heat? (Read the bulb color faq on their site for more info)

DDM 35W & 55W Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit
Product ID: BIKESINGLEHILOH4HL-6000K
Wattage: 35W
Bulb Type: H4 Hi/Lo
Bulb Color: 6000K

Steve
Where are you planning to mount the ballast? That's where the heat will come from if I am not mistaken.

post #8 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Where are you planning to mount the ballast? That's where the heat will come from if I am not mistaken.
Probably gonna try to mount it under the tank somewhere, The ballast looks pretty slim. If that doesn't pan out I'll have to put it under the seat I guess.

I'm showing my hid ignorance here but would the bulb get significantly hotter running at 55 watts vs. 35 watts? I'm concerned about the headlight housing getting too hot and causing a meltdown. But at the same time I'd like to get all the lumens the 919's electrical system can handle. Their site says it draws 6 amps at start up and 3.4 amps at normal operating tempature.

post #9 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

What is the wattage on the stock 919 bulb?

post #10 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Ballaholic

why does no one understand that you can not run an hid in a non projector housing? light will be scattered all over the road and you will do nothing but blind on coming traffic.

post #11 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Steve

Quote:
What is the wattage on the stock 919 bulb?
Service manual says 55w on low and 60w on high beam. I just don't know how much hotter hids get than standard bulbs or if that is even a concern.

Steve

post #12 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
why does no one understand that you can not run an hid in a non projector housing? light will be scattered all over the road and you will do nothing but blind on coming traffic.
Because many people have done so with acceptable results.

post #13 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Service manual says 55w on low and 60w on high beam. I just don't know how much hotter hids get than standard bulbs or if that is even a concern.

Steve
It's not a concern. I remember now going to an Osram Off-Road bulb which was ~15 watts higher than OEM without issues on my 919. At least one other wristtwister went even higher without any problems as well.

post #14 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:43 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I used the Rallye and someone else had used the 85/90 if I recall. I actually still have the Rallye if someone is interested in buying it.

H4 - HB2 - 9003 bulbs

post #15 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Steve

Quote:
It's not a concern. I remember now going to an Osram Off-Road bulb which was ~15 watts higher than OEM without issues on my 919. At least one other wristtwister went even higher without any problems as well.
Cool, thanks TJ. What about the housing issue mentioned above? He is right in that regard. I know very little about hids but I'm trying to educate myself.
Maybe I need to read some more. i wasn't gonna buy today anyway, tapped out from christmas!

Steve

post #16 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Because many people have done so with acceptable results.
acceptable??? define acceptable? i need a picture of the cut off to believe it. i guarantee you will get much better performance by upgrading to a nice PIAA instead of the hid.

post #17 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Ballaholic

this is what happens when you put an HID into a non projector. . .

http://99sportx.com/images/HID/beam.JPG

and this is what it should look like in a projector. . . .

Imageshack - 002nz7.jpg

post #18 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I work and argue with people who are bound by black-and-white logic all day long. It gets exhausting and I should probably refrain from doing so here.

Mayday, Look at your existing light pattern and compare the difference.

That's all I've got.

Merry Christmas gents.

post #19 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
this is what happens when you put an HID into a non projector. . .

http://99sportx.com/images/HID/beam.JPG

and this is what it should look like in a projector. . . .

Imageshack - 002nz7.jpg
Hmmmm, Well I will do more research and try to figure out my best option. I just have been noticing many of the new sportbikes have these incredible bright lights and I assumed they were hid but maybe not. Whatever they are, I want them. They make the stock 919 light look like a freakin flashlight.

Steve

post #20 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Discen

probably the biggest factor is the reflector part of the light, not necessarily the bulb itself

I have a friend with a bandit and I think its lights are better and it is the same bulb as the 919.

I have been wanting to do hid, but can't find a headlight i like. Now if i could find 2 smaller ones and due a dual headlight setup that is hid.

as for mounting the ballast, if you removed the PAIR system, the triangle in the frame where the parts were is a good location.

post #21 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Didn't read all that, bu tyou need projector headlights to do it. Unless you don't mind blinding everyone and having it look like ass.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #22 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Didn't read all that, bu tyou need projector headlights to do it. Unless you don't mind blinding everyone and having it look like ass.
Does the pattern change or does it just get brighter?

post #23 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Does the pattern change or does it just get brighter?
lol so ya act interested when he says it, but when i say it, you act like im a retard. what a prick. the pattern is not correct when an HID is put into a not projector, like i linked pics too. like ragdoll said, if you want to blind oncoming traffic and look like a total dbag with your fake ass, less-performance-than-stock HID set up, go for it. but unless you retrofit a projector your wasting your time. in the words of a non-wise man, "I work and argue with people who are bound by black-and-white logic all day long. It gets exhausting and I should probably refrain from doing so here."

and to the OP, please just get a nice H4 bulb. and if you get something with alot higher wattage, be sure to upgrade your harness as well. if you have any questions and want honest answers from someone knowledgeable, feel free to PM me or post up here

post #24 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Ballaholic

this guys is considered to be the end all expert on automotive lighting, please read 2000tj. . . . . .Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

and here. . .

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

post #25 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

A non HID H4 pattern already looks scattered and crappy right? What changes if you go HID?

That's my question. I understand the difference without projectors, just not why it has to be a black and white religion.

Look at your own initial post and analyse my response if you really want to know why I responded the way I did.

post #26 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Red Rider

Very good info on that site! Seems like a waste of cash then dosent it?

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #27 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

I don't know about the 919, and its huge reflector bowl light, but on my 1000rr I'm running a HID in the low beam, and it isn't scattered all over like I was expecting it to.

On my car, it has reflector bowls, THAT I won't throw hids on, working on some projector headlights before I do that. As it def scatters it too far.

However, on a bike, the scattered blinding light may actually be a good thing, since people usually don't see us.

Just my $0.02

Quote:
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #28 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
I don't know about the 919, and its huge reflector bowl light, but on my 1000rr I'm running a HID in the low beam, and it isn't scattered all over like I was expecting it to.

On my car, it has reflector bowls, THAT I won't throw hids on, working on some projector headlights before I do that. As it def scatters it too far.

However, on a bike, the scattered blinding light may actually be a good thing, since people usually don't see us.

Just my $0.02
Everything is a compromise. Not everyone is open to that. When I've seen it done on older bikes to spare wattage the spread seemed acceptable. Not pencil thin like high quality auto installs but certainly good bang for the buck.

post #29 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Here is why hid bulbs need projectors.

With you're regular filament bulb, the filament glows because of the resistance to the current passing thru it. On lil string glowing so you put a reflector bowl around it, and bam, you have a pretty well aimed, directed light.

With a hid bulb, aka a xenon bulb, its gas in a tube, and the xenon gas when a certain charge goes through it, it causes a ciretain glow. Now since its gas in a tube, vs a glowing string, the light it creates is not only greater, but less defined by boundaries since its essentailly a moving gas. So when you put a reflector bowl around it, that's designed to reflect light from a fixed position filament that glows , it doesn't work, so they stick it in a smaller parabowl, and essentially "capture" this light, and focus all of it thru a lens (the projector) and aims it. Since a reflector with no projector (lens) wastes a large percentage of the light cause its bouncing it off on all kinds of angles.

This is why some states are outlawing HIDs on vehicles that don't come with em.

Hopefully that clears up all the fuss since I somewhat explained it barney style vs, flaming

Now next time you roll out and ricer boy behind you is 2 lanes over and you're still being blinded by his lights, that's essentially what the 919 may very well do with a HID since it has such a big reflector bowl style lamp. My RR has a bunch of fins and reflectors inside that focus the filament bulbs light, and suprisingly it worked VERY well with the HID too. If the 919 is a big reflector bowl like I remember, you're gonna piss a LOT of people off at light, it will be very skattered and bright.

If you do do it regardless. Please don't go over 6k, as anything higher looks absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #30 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Also, I'm assuming the 9er uses a dual filament bulb for high and low? If so, I don't know how ddm makes these kits but a proper HID high beam will be what is called bi-xenon like on the new 09+ R1 or the newer BMWs to name a few.
What happens is the said much talked about reflector bowl has a blade on the inside, shaped like a semi-circle for low beam it is set in the up possible and blocks/shadows the upper half of the aimed projector beam. When the high beam is on its lowered and the full 360 degrees of the projector is used?

HIDs need a few second to power up, even the top dollar ones, they all do, this is why they have an ignitor that basically powers up the wattage to thousands of watts to "ignite" the gases and get them glowing. Without ignitors I don't know if the xenon gas would even glow, or maybe it'd take like 3 days to light up with 35w or 55w. Who knows. Anyway, when you flash your highs if it were a true direct xenon/hid nothing would happen as by the time you flash and release, it wouldn't be lit up yet. Maybe on the 2nd flash.
So this is why all the top cars and bikes use either a halogen/filament bulb with reflector for the high beam and HID/xenon for the low beam. The ones that have HID for highs use the bi-xenon setup with the block off plate in the projector.

Hope that sheds some light on it in a HID way for everyone.

Oh, HID, High Intensity Discharge lighting, that's the high intensity light from the electrolized xenon gas in a bulb. That's where the name comes from.
Thanks to my dad the chem teacher for explaining this to me back in like 1996. When I read about them on the new 996 911 turbo. Back then HID kits were huge, and were like a $3-5000 option on top end cars. Now you buy a lil kit barely bigger than a cc and thicker than a modern day empty wallet for as little as $40. Lol. Crazy huh.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #31 of 36 Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The dual DDMs I looked at used a motorized shade for hi-lo.

Merry Christmas.

post #32 of 36 Old 12-25-2009, 12:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
If you do do it regardless. Please don't go over 6k, as anything higher looks absolutely ridiculous.
That's a good, well-written explanation, Snik.

Here's a good, solid reason for choosing a bulb that burns white rather than yellowish or blue...

...I'm not very fond of the 919's OEM headlight, which burns yellow. it's also pretty unfocussed and appears dim to me riding with it, but is apparently very bright/blinding to drivers coming the other way. The blinding effect is due, like Snikwad mentioned, to a big bowl reflector and diffractory lens rather than a more focused lens.

The apparent dimness is because the OEM bulb burns at around 3000-3500K (Kelvin scale) which is not the most efficient for human eyeballs in darkness. It doesn't develop the right amount of clarity & contrast for our eyes to distinguish objects because it has too much of a red-wavelength bias. A whiter light is what's needed... something that burns at 5000-6000K which is pure white light. The red/green/blue content of the light is balanced and is pleasing to the eye, and so you see stuff better with white light. If the bulb burns at 6000-8000K it has shifted too far into the blue wavelengths for our eyes. it still has good apparent contrast, but it doesn't penetrate well enough...it doesn't illuminate far enough away to be useful for headlight purposes.

...And thus endeth the lesson...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #33 of 36 Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

wow! i post the thread, come back and check it a day later and...30+ replys! thats what im talking about! thanks for all the info guys! the issue with the factory light did cross my mind and thats why i haven't gone after this mod so strongly. like i said, i replaced my factory bulb with one of those ultra type bulbs and it works great and i do believe ill keep it that way. sorry about the pics to...im deployed, so working a computer is very restricted on government net, but ill get the pics back up when i get off today (sorry for the tease).

on the other hand, i have been doing some thinking about my frame sliders. i have the engin mount type, got them before i knew of the issue of them breaking the engin, and i want to go with a different type. suggestions?

2006 Honda 919
2008 Lancer GTS
1998 Chevy Z71
1972 Chevelle Malibu
1968 Chevy C-10 long bed
post #34 of 36 Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Hey hey, you can't derail your thread like that. Go make another thread fugger.

I suggest you seek and find, Mtec or Nyoka brand bulbs. Get a 5500k to a 4750k one for a whiter light.
Those two brands have really impressed me, and don't cost a ton like PIAA or Sylanna bulbs do.

Try ebay. Look for free shipping.

Quote:
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #35 of 36 Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

ok here are the pics that were on the first post...

the ghost paint work...

and one in the middle of my MC...

2006 Honda 919
2008 Lancer GTS
1998 Chevy Z71
1972 Chevelle Malibu
1968 Chevy C-10 long bed
post #36 of 36 Old 12-25-2009, 01:05 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

sweet paint

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode