Need a battery - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Need a battery

YTZ10S for my 919. Anyone know where the cheapest place is? Local stealers (dealers) quoted me at 175, and 155... I tried jumpstarting it with the car, but it dies as soon as I take one of the jumper cables off. Is there any hope for it? I left the bike running for 5 minutes attached to my car, but it can't sustain itself. I'm assuming it's DEAD.

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Sixty-9er

You need to charge it will a trickle charger. The battery doesn't charge itself on bike unless you are riding as it takes more then idle for the alternator to charge a battery. If you have deep cycle the battery its probably time for a new one. Trickle chargers are cheaper though. 1-2 amp

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #3 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

You can buy a cheaper battery, say a "Bikemaster" or whatever I think for around $80-90.

I wouldn't put a Bikemaster battery in my bike though, I'd cough up for the Yuasa.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #4 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Call D&D and see if they can help.
Also, the trickle charger would be my first move.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 12:14 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Here's another battery question - after you start the bike how much riding is required to maintain it. I'm asking because my bike doesn't even have 2000 miles on it yet and the battery will no longer start the bike.
Until the weather warms up a bit my bike is used only for commuting 2 miles to work. Is 2 miles too little time to top the battery back off after using the starter? or by only going 2 miles every time I start the bike have I just been slowly draining the battery every day.
I have an extra battery that I'm going to put in there, and my commute will change from 2 miles of side streets to 20 miles of freeway when I move in a couple weeks so that should solve the problem.
I'm just curious if only riding a couple miles at a time for a few months will kill your battery.

At least the 919 is easy to jump start!

post #6 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

mdtoney: A fully charged battery will measure 13 to 13.2 volts DC. A educated guess, your 2 mile ride is doing more harm than good. Get a Battery Tender and plug it when the bike is sitting. The OEM Yuasa battery will last years and years if properly maintained.

post #7 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

this is just my 2 cents but if and when you you replace battery, get the good yausa, if maintained properly it will last a long time.

post #8 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks Mike, I figured as much. I'll put the extra battery (Yausa) in tonight.

The good news is that I close on the house in 2 weeks and my new commute will definitely keep my battery maintained.

Will a battery tender bring the current one back to life? Also, will the Battery Tender Jr. (given to me for my dirt bike) be sufficient for the 919?
http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_3

post #9 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Thanks Mike, I figured as much. I'll put the extra battery (Yausa) in tonight.

The good news is that I close on the house in 2 weeks and my new commute will definitely keep my battery maintained.

Will a battery tender bring the current one back to life? Also, will the Battery Tender Jr. (given to me for my dirt bike) be sufficient for the 919?
http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_3
Give the battery a chance with the Tender Jr. nothing to loose. In fact some of the techno geeks prefer to use the Jr. model.

post #10 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Tesserarius

Batteryjack.com batteries for $27 when I bought mine, it's lasting just as well as the original.

post #11 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I just bought a Battery Tender Jr. with the harness you leave on the bike. Charging now. Hopefully she just needs a little attention *crossing fingers*

2 > 4
post #12 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Thats what I have, just pull in the garage and plug it in and it stays topped off and ready to rock.

Dan

Dan
post #13 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I'll swap batteries tonight then pull the tender off the dirt bike and put it on the depleted battery and see if it'll bring it back to life.

post #14 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I bought the Schumaker battery maintainer last month and it seems to work great, but the harness it came with is a little short, meaning I have to take off the side cover or the seat in order to use it. I am going to lengthen them a bit, but I think I also want to add an inline fuse holder. Leaving an unfused line attached to the battery is hard on my peace of mind.

post #15 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Tirone

Ive been informed by several pros....and not battery sales people that jumping your bike battery off a car is a bad idea, and can have some expensive results. Also been told that regular jump starting is pretty bad for ya bike as well.

post #16 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Regualr just starting anythign is bad. A big part because having a low battery charge is bad. If you had a good charge, there would be no need to jump it.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #17 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I have had great luck with my OEM batteries. I still have original battery in my 2000 RC51 and I had the original in my 96 900RR until 2006. The only battery that gave me trouble is in my 02 954, it was dead in about 4 years. I replaced it 2 years ago with a Yuasa and it is going strong.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Yuasa or OEM (which I suspect is a Yuasa) Look online at bike bandit, or service honda for OEM and look anywhere for the best Yuasa price you can find.

Good luck.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #18 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Tire abuser

Three things I wanted to add/ask:

1) Jumping a bike off a RUNNING car can be dangerous to the bike - the charging system of the car can supply much more current than the bike's battery and electronics can handle. Jumping a bike off a car with the ignition off is not going to harm the battery - the bike 'sees' 12 V, just like when it is starting on its own battery.

2) To the guy having battery problems: how cold does your bike get at night? A battery that is exposed to very low temperatures will have a very short lifespan. (...says the guy who buys a new battery every spring because he is too dumb to admit when the riding season is over, and his bikes inevitably freeze. Sigh.)

3) Someone said jumping the 919 was easy - did I miss something? I had to pull my battery out of the airbox to get at the positive terminal. I didn't look too hard for another place to attach the positive cable but I couldn't see anything really obvious, like a terminal on the starter motor, that I could reach easily. What's the easy way?

post #19 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
2) To the guy having battery problems: how cold does your bike get at night? A battery that is exposed to very low temperatures will have a very short lifespan. (...says the guy who buys a new battery every spring because he is too dumb to admit when the riding season is over, and his bikes inevitably freeze. Sigh.)
At night it's in a parking garage in my apartment building - the coldest temps in the past few months have been about 20 degrees outside, close to 40 inside. At work it's also in a parking garage which is also about 40 degrees lately. I can see how sitting at 40 degrees and only riding 2 miles whenever I start it could make the battery get weaker and weaker.

Quote:
3) Someone said jumping the 919 was easy - did I miss something? I had to pull my battery out of the airbox to get at the positive terminal. I didn't look too hard for another place to attach the positive cable but I couldn't see anything really obvious, like a terminal on the starter motor, that I could reach easily. What's the easy way?
I mentioned that the 919 was easy to jump start, I guess I should have said bump start... I don't use jumper cables and a car battery, I just put it in second gear and run about 50 feet. It usually starts first try, sometimes second.

post #20 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

goto walmart and buy a battery for the bike... they are 30-60 bucks and they last as good as anything else...

this is like being told you have to buy a diehard for your car...

yuasa is nice but too damn expensive... buy the cheap one and use the leftover cash for a battery tender (20 bucks at walmart) and then take your SO out to dinner with the money you saved..

post #21 of 30 Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Who has to know?

+1 on Battery Tender... the Jr. model works great for me.

www.batteriesplus.com used to have a decent price on Yuasa batteries (better than other places, but the battery is still expensive). I was looking everywhere when I thought I needed one. I hadn't ridden more than probably 50 miles in a year (because I lived far away from my bike). Turns out the Batt. Tender Jr. was all I needed. 24 hours of charging and that was all it needed to bring it back to normal.

post #22 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Listen to Barton. That's good info. You can't go wrong with any Battery Tender. I have one for all my toys and have never had a battery problem.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #23 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

I thought cold/freezing weather was good for batteries? Eh, what do I know..

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #24 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 07:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

for the easy jump starting, couldn't you just pick up another battery adapter then plug it into the adapter connected to the battery and hook your jumper cables to the other end?

I wouldn't know since I also have the Schumacher Battery Maintainer with the adapter installed on the battery.

The leads are a little short, but it only takes a second to pull the seat to use it. I'd rather it be hidden instead of dangling around all over the place.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #25 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
The leads are a little short, but it only takes a second to pull the seat to use it. I'd rather it be hidden instead of dangling around all over the place.
I have the same setup. I got tired of pulling the seat to use it. I also have an auxiliary (cigarette lighter type) jack on the bike. I bought a male plug and an SAE Connector from Radio Shack. Makes for an easier hookup.

post #26 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I just read the instructions with the Battery Tender. If your battery has under 3 volts it won't charge it, because of some safety issue... Gotta get a new one now....

2 > 4
post #27 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

ahhh just hook a big charger up to it for an hour or 2, then do the battery tender. battery does not like to bring them back from the dead but u hit it with some juice for a while you just might save it.

post #28 of 30 Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Got a new Yuasa from the Honda dealer today.. Started right up and she ran like she was longing for a good run. Next warm day I'm changing the oil and she'll be completely ready

I just changed the chain and man is it smoother than it was last time I rode

2 > 4
post #29 of 30 Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Cool! Now get out and ride!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #30 of 30 Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Three things I wanted to add/ask:

1) Jumping a bike off a RUNNING car can be dangerous to the bike - the charging system of the car can supply much more current than the bike's battery and electronics can handle. Jumping a bike off a car with the ignition off is not going to harm the battery - the bike 'sees' 12 V, just like when it is starting on its own battery.

I know this is a big debate. I have used a running car to jump a bike many times in the past. Many different bikes in the past, along with my niner. Never had a problem.

Never had a problem with the cold either. This past winter my 9er has sat out on the street all winter. Temps as low as -40. Still running the OEM battery. Fires right up once it warms up. This bike hasn't seen a the inside of a garage since it left the Honda dealer. (02)

No it is not easy.

Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode