National Cycle PLEXIFAIRING GT WNDSHD - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

National Cycle PLEXIFAIRING GT WNDSHD

Have anybody used The National Cycle Plexifairing GT winshield on a 919? what do you feel about wind block/wind drag? Does it still look "sporty" on the 919? I got pretty tire at my chest due to wind after about 1 hour drive at 70-80 mph. Any input will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Which one are you talking about? I do have the F-18 on mine and it helps. If you use the search feature you will find this has been covered many times.

Welcome to the hive.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I just looked at that the one you are talking about. I would say there would be a ton of wind drag. Not a very sporty shield at all IMO.

Spoiler:

post #4 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Doesn't look sporty at all, imho, but it does look like it'll block alot of wind!

Where in Htown are you? PM me your number and we can go for a ride sometime!

post #5 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Tirone

I have an older version on mine, it's very similar in appearance to the one posted on the website. I think it looks good but that is subjective. It works excellent as far as wind protection goes. It's up to you: Look cool and battle the wind or ride in comfort. I'm too old to be tortured.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

When I ordered my F18 shield they sent me that one by mistake and it is a beast. It does not look sporty at all to me. I had to send it back. If you are looking for pure function then go for it, but If you want looks stay away from it. I help it up to my bike and from the picture I had taken only my head was above the shield so I am sure the air bubble would hold you and a passenger. It would cause a lot of drag. To me atleast.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #7 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Tirone

You be the judge.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

My question is how easy is it to instal and remove, I've been looking at one for the 4hr all freeway trip to the G/F's house and would like better wind deflection but don't want to live with it on a day to day basis.

Dan

Dan
post #9 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I'm not sure you can have a sporty AND functional windscreen. If you want wind protection the one in the photo looks like it would do a fantastic job, but I wouldn't put it in the 'sporty' category. On the other hand, the small sporty windscreens are just a step or two above useless when it comes to actual wind protection...

post #10 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Tirone

That shield can easily be removed and installed in less than 2 minutes. No tools needed.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Tirone

When I bought my bike it came with a NC Street Shield, like that one above but smaller. While it does work well I didn't like the looks of it so I took it off. After a few times of passing cars on the freeway at 80+ and having the feeling that my helmet was trying to rip my head off I bought the F-18. Just installed it yesterday and did a short trip with speeds up to 100. It was such an improvment. Still get some wind but not any where near stock and my head doesn't bobble around at higher speeds. It looks good IMO, relatively cheap, and does a good job. I love mine. I guess it all depends on how much wind you want.

-smitty

Never Under Any Circumstance Take A Laxative And A Sleeping Pill On The Same Night.

1985 Suzuki GS550-sold
1988 Kawasaki ZX10-R.I.P.
1989 Honda CBR600-sold
2000 Honda CR250R
2005 Honda 919
2006 Bandit LX250
2008 Kawasaki KLR650-sold
post #12 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

The F-16 sport shield held tight on burst up to an indicated 140 mph on my 9er. It took most of the buffeting away during interstate travel and was excellent for redirecting that icy blast on winter rides when you get a little to carried away and get caught out with 20 miles to home and the sun's dropping fast.
I have been considering this particular screen for a few months now, or a Parabellum shield for my Triumph, and am glad to hear a positive note from one that actually uses this type of shield. I too don't mind the looks of it. I believe the benefits of being in that bubble far outweigh any neg effect on the bike's look. After about an hour at 80-90 mph on I-95, the wind starts to wear on me from being whipped about while passing big trucks and travel trailers on vacation. The fact that it can quickly removed is a plus for washing and nice summer rips through the back roads.
Thanks Lifeon2wheels for your write up and picture.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #13 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

I also have that windscreen. I like it since it's clear it doesn't look all that bad. And a lot of my riding is 20-40 mile commuting on freeways so it's quite functional and the aforementioned ease of removal is great.

post #14 of 14 Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeon2wheels View Post

You be the judge.
Did you notice how the rose in the background looks like a wad of gum on your windshield? Your tail trunk kind of looks like a bbq grill too...or maybe my cold medication is kicking in again.

Seriously, I bet that screen provides serious wind protection. Gin's Vulcan had one very similar to that installed when we bought it, I sold it on Craigslist for $50 to a guy traveling through Indy from Minnesota pulling his Nighthawk on a trailer. We mounted it up right there in the street, didn't look half bad and he was thrilled with it.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode