Narrowed it down to 2 919s... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Narrowed it down to 2 919s...

Hi y'all,
I'm new to the forum (just introduced myself in the Intro section), and am about to buy a 919 to replace my old 750 Nighthawk.

The 919 will see the bulk of its use go to everyday urban riding; I frequently take my gf and other folks as pillion riders, sometimes for overnight trips, as well. I'd like to do the occasional trackday on the 919, too; in other words, its versatility is what attracted me.

I'm deliberating between 2 919s at the moment. Bike One is less expensive, has higher miles, and some nice touring mods. I rode it on Sunday, and was impressed, but thought the sound and handling on rough streets could use a touch of help. It is in very fine condition, just pro serviced, largely touring miles, new gas tank. The seller is pretty firm on price. Here's the ad:

"2004 Honda 919, Excellent condition. 21,000 miles. Rare and beautiful "Uranium Green" edition. Meticulously serviced - all service records available. Many extras: Corbin saddle; Givi windscreen and engine guard; Ventura luggage rack; center stand; new Michelin Pilot Road tires. Stable and confortable as a touring bike, sport bike power and handling for twisty mountain roads, yet light and agile enough for riding around town. The perfect "one bike for all purposes"! $4500."

The second 919 has some lovely performance mods:
"2002 Honda 919 for sale. Bike is in excellent condition. 17k miles, never down, clean title, no track time, oil changed every 3000mi. Michelin Pilot Powers with 2/3 tread left, fresh brake pads.

Bike includes extras listed below.
- Ohlin’s rear shock with hydraulic preload adjuster. This alone is $1000 + retail.
- F4 full adjustable forks re-valved by James Siddal @ Super Plush suspension. (James is the Honda factory race team suspension guy). Includes stock, and Race tech 8.0 and 10.0 springs
- Arrows carbon slip-ons. Sound cool and save about 15lbs over stock.
- Lower bars
- 520 chain/sprocket conversion w/ RK chain and Sprocket Specialties sprockets w/ stock gearing
- Aftermarket foot pegs and mirrors
- All stock parts removed from the bike and original paperwork included.

This bike is dialed, handles like a dream and will score you some fine trim!

$5,200 / Offer. "

Which bike would y'all choose? Budget is a concern, but if I stretch I can afford either one.

Thanks for your opinions!
--Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Tesserarius

That's a no brainer!!

post #3 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

This bike is dialed, handles like a dream and will score you some fine trim!

I found that part funny.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
That's a no brainer!!
True.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #5 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

#2 would be my pic. Casual trackday is about all you'll get from a niner even with suspension mods. that's not to say the 9ner isn't fun on the track. If you start racing the clock then you'll need look at someting designed for the track.

post #6 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Yup, casual and occasional trackdays only. The VFR takes care of that duty, too.

Sounds like bike #2 is more favored by the modaholics among you! I talked to the owner and it is due for its 16k service (including valve check). Bike #1 just had major service.
What's the cost range for the 16k service? It would be good to use that as a bargaining point...

post #7 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

#2 No brainer.

post #8 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Off topic thread jack:
Wierd (to me) pair of bikes to choose to own. Both bikes are "compromise" bikes that do many things competently but do not excel at any one category.

The VFR is the sporty all arounder that is still streetable and tourable.

The 919 is the all purpose bike that is very streetable and reasonably sporty and touring capable.

Most folks that own two or bikes indulge in having "focused" bikes that don't make compromises. Like a CBR600RR for a sport weapon and a 919 for commuting or a goldwing for touring.

Don't take this as a criticism, more power to you and do whatever makes you happy. But I would be curious to know why you would want two bikes with such similar power, torque, riding position, and capabilities?

David

post #9 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
What's the cost range for the 16k service?
Just do an overall safety checkover. Tighten everything, but do NOT strip out, check all fluids, and change your oil, annnnnd Boom! You're done.

2 > 4
post #10 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Bike #2.

The 16K service I was quoted from the Stealership was $320. It included tuning, checking and adjusting the valves, replacing filter, plugs, fluids, and some other checks. I brought the bike to 2 independent shops. One quoted $360. The other said $180, and if the valves needed to be adjusted, then $100 more. The 2nd shop said he likes to do it that way, because more than likely the valves would be just fine, and he wasn't the kind of shop that automatically charged for something that never needed to be done in the first place... just because the manual says so. I liked Shop #2's answer.

post #11 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I couldn't select bike #1 because of the color.

I like the stuff it's equipped with, and for the difference in model and years, color aside, I would go with it. I'm more of a sport touring guy though so that could make a difference. A two year newer bike, at the $ less, which is available $ for your own mods, is tempting.

Before I purchased bike #2 I would really like to know how well the front fork conversion swap was done. Sounds great in writing, but in real world what's it like? You didn't say if you rode bike #2.

The difference in mileage is a non-factor for me. The bike can handle more miles than either have, and neither is very much.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

#2 is my vote by far! Less miles with better upgrades, win-win!

post #13 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Unbannable

I vote for #1. The green is sexy and you get the 2004 updates.

post #14 of 43 Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

#2 for me. The main difference between the '02 and the '04 has been taken care of and then some with the suspension upgrades. I just picked up another '02. Had I come across the one you are considering, I would have been all over it.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #15 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Go for the Ohlins one!

post #16 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

post #17 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I've got a great RC51 you'd love.

post #18 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Off topic thread jack:
Wierd (to me) pair of bikes to choose to own. Both bikes are "compromise" bikes that do many things competently but do not excel at any one category.

The VFR is the sporty all arounder that is still streetable and tourable.

The 919 is the all purpose bike that is very streetable and reasonably sporty and touring capable.

Most folks that own two or bikes indulge in having "focused" bikes that don't make compromises. Like a CBR600RR for a sport weapon and a 919 for commuting or a goldwing for touring.

Don't take this as a criticism, more power to you and do whatever makes you happy. But I would be curious to know why you would want two bikes with such similar power, torque, riding position, and capabilities?

David
Good question...well, the VFR I inherited from my dad, who passed away last year. So I treat it as carefully as I can, since it has lots of emotional attachment--twisties, long trips, and occasional C group trackdays only. Plus, I'm 5'6" tops, and it is kinda a tall topheavy beast (520 lbs.) to navigate around San Francisco traffic. But I won't ever get rid of it.

I don't own a car, so the Nighthawk takes care of taking me to work, splitting rush-hour traffic across the Bay Bridge (keeps ya sharp), getting groceries, going on work assignments around the Bay, evening rides to the beach or up into the hills, and taking my girlfriend on the occasional overnight trip (if it weren't for that, I'd get a 599 or a Street Triple). I'd like a 919 as an upgrade to that, with more power, light weight, and just all around greater mechanical pleasure. Does that explain the overlap?

Thanks for all your input, folks. I think I'll have to ride bike #2 and get a sense of how the ride quality feels. Also, I need to decide whether the extra cost and upgrades are what I need for my everyday transportation!

post #19 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I've got a great RC51 you'd love.
OOoh, I bet you're right. Too bad about the 3,000 miles between us, eh?

post #20 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Immune

#2 def!

btw if you don't want some of those perf parts just send them to me and I'll put them to good use!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #21 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I must go against everyone here. I would say stick with No. 1 and try to reduce the price. Everyone here is looking at the mods of No. 2 and not taking into consideration Nemo's ride style, needs, and overall size. There needs to be a bit more info.

I'm assuming the Ohlin shock of No. 2 is not for Nemo's weight. There needs to be a bit more info on the forks swap. Why does she really care about a chain/sprocket conversion? Aftermarket cans, why? No. 1 has the touring equipment she wants, it's newer and at a better price.

From the variables that I am familiar with at this point, look at No. 1. I personally would also look at No. 1 if I was shopping for a 919.

post #22 of 43 Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I'm in agreement with RC51. Was in disbelief that most everyone was choosing #2. #1 is newer and cheaper. The miles difference is negligible. New tires. All service records. To me, this one is the no-brainer.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #23 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Well, I talked to the #2 owner, and he's ridden the bike pretty darn hard, and it hasn't been garaged as the newer bike has. I suspect that many a wheelie has been ripped on #2, and the guy just doesn't make as good an impression. He seemed pretty lax about maintenance, and while he's done oil changes, he seems to think that the valve check isn't neccessary.

Also, while the mods are pretty cool, I don't think they're neccessary for an everyday bike. Really, as long as the suspension is better than the Nighthawk, I'll be pleased! And if I don't like the sound of the stock cans, I can always try my hand at the bafflectomy. And the price difference is about the cost of a round-trip ticket to Europe...

So, I went ahead and made a lower offer on the green bike, #1, and the seller accepted. Too bad I'll be at the track (Reno-Fernley) and can't pick it up 'til Monday!

post #24 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Congrats! Sounds like you made the right decision. Post up some pics after you pick her up!

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #25 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Congrats.

post #26 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Awards Showcase

Great job Nemo.

post #27 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

After reading through all the logic, I agree that you made the right decision. Welcome 9er!

post #28 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
After reading through all the logic, I agree that you made the right decision. Welcome 9er!
PLUS 1!!

Now with the history of #2's being known. . .you made the right decision.

Welcome and enjoy the green macheen!

post #29 of 43 Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Congrats on the buy!
Is the owner of #2 willing to sell the shock separately?

post #30 of 43 Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Picked up the new 919 last night, and rode her home from SF to Oakland. She's green, nimble, and lots of fun so far.

I need to experiment with the damping & preload to set up the suspension for me, and get the Corbin seat modified to better fit my build (I put the stocker back on, since it's lower). Since there happened to be a set of Satos on Ebay, and they seem well regarded here, I picked them up as well. Anyone know if Sargent makes a seat for the 919?

Not sure if the owner of bike 1 will part with his Ohlins, but I bet if the bike doesn't sell soon he'll think about it. Really, though, it would be a vanity purchase at this point.

Pics when I get a chance!

post #31 of 43 Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Nemo, congrats! Didn't know you were in Oakland. I saw those bikes on CL, good to see another "local to me" here

post #32 of 43 Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

If you end up deciding to part with the Corbin I might be interested. After that 1700 mile road trip I could really use a Corbin. I'm pretty sure Sargent has made several 919 seats, there was even a thread recently. I'd be curious to see how they compare in comfort.

David

post #33 of 43 Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yes, there are a couple of peeps here with Sargent seats. Just do a search.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #34 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Good choice on the bike. It's too bad you're so stumpy, the corbin is a great seat. I just got mine last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it since. I'm no giant at 5'10" and the seat now brings my heels off the ground so I can sympathize. You mentioned stowing passengers on the back, and I can tell you, my wife sure appreciates the removable backrest I got with the seat. Not sure if sargent has that option or not. Something to think about.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #35 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Good choice, You will really like the Sato's, they are a great choice for fit, finish and performance. Definitely check with corbin about possibly modifying your seat, it may be cheaper than a new one. Or you can always sell it to somone here and use the money to upgrade to a seat that better fits your stature.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #36 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Thanks again y'all,
I do think I'm going to end up selling the Corbin--it's taller than stock, and my butt doesn't reach the "dish" in the seat, since my reach is, well, that of a 5'6" woman.

I'm going to call and see how much Corbin would charge to re-sculpt the foam to move the rise forward. If it's too much $, I'll go for the Sargent rework of the stock seat.

I can't wait for the Satos to arrive--now I just need to find some exhaust clamps, since the auction included hangers but not clamps. Rrrowr!

post #37 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Congrats!

You seem a VERY competent rider but never become complacent. Remember it's still a beast you must control no matter how random cages/conditions challenge you on the freeway or in the parking lot. My near misses taught me to extend the safety reaction window.

Satos...I'm envious!

Sell the seat and get one you like.

Have fun!

post #38 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

I hear ya on avoiding complacency.
6 mos. after I started riding, I got creamed by a left-turner who turned across my path from the right lane, latte in one hand and cell phone in the other. It destroyed my newbie bike (an '83 Nighthawk 650) and sent me flying through the air and crashing onto the pavement...nothing broke, amazingly, but there was lots of torn and smashed tissue on my right side. Hell, one of my boots and a glove came flying off on impact. That incident destroyed my confidence, which is still recovering; but also acted as a cautionary tale that helps prevent me from getting too hot out there on the mean streets--it was a serious object lesson in my lack of immortality. I may be the slow kid on the track and on group rides in the twisties, but I've also prevented and avoided some very close calls since then.
The classes I've taken, especially the cop moto classes, have really helped me deal with in-traffic riding skills.

On a happier note, here's the first (hurriedly taken near dark) photo of the new 919:

post #39 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

VERY nice. Some very functional/useful mods on there too. Congrats!

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #40 of 43 Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM
2006 919

Congrats on the new 919 use it well
enjoy the satos grrrrr.... you got them at a good price.
mnet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode