Nail in brand new tire and centerstand - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Nail in brand new tire and centerstand

So part of this post is to ask if anyone has ever patched, pugged, or vulcanized a motorcycle tire. I picked up a nail in my new (about 500 miles on it) power pilot rear and all the tire shops around me said they couldn't help me out. I'll spend another 200$ If I absolutely have to, but I prefer not to.

Next is to praise phobmans center stand. This thing is built like a tank and really made it easy on me. Great price, fast shipping, thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (196.4 KB, 32 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-12-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Tire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (318.7 KB, 47 views)

post #3 of 20 Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Left of Centre

Yes, I have run with a plugged and patched tyre for a considerable distance. A local repair shop was happy to get involved. The patch on the inside seems to me to be the most important part, to ensure there is no local, specific load on the plug - after that was done, I had zero issues with my Conti motion for another 8,000km [=5,000 mi.].

Others will tell you the only place they would ride a plugged/patched tyre would be down to the store to buy a new one....

Good luck.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I rode a plugged tire for quite a while. Never had an issue.

Your puncture seems to be right down in the tread, too, in the center. Best place you could ask, lol...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I would plug it and go (TWSS)

post #6 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
Silent but Deadly

I got a roofing nail one and the local shop plugged it and patched it on the inside. I road the tire to the end of it's life with no issues. Never lost any pressure.

post #7 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 AM
just send it.

Garage
I'd replace it. $200 probably covers a new helmet if the plug lets loose and the bike goes down.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Discen

Q: What would happen if the plug gets loose?
A: An airleak just like a nail would do...

Just get it patched at another shop. Or, you can get tire plugs and patch it yourself.

post #9 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

No way would I ever plug a sport bike tire and ride it any longer than what it takes to get to safety & have it replaced.

That tiny patch of rubber is all you have between you and the road.

post #10 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Tesserarius

I had had 150 miles on my dunlop roadsmart 2 when I needed to get a Plug-patch on the tire. The plug-patch is damn near the center too. 9,000 miles later, and plenty of flogging i might add, still works and i have zero trust issues with it.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I plugged my last two rear tires with no issues. Put several thousand miles on each after the plug and never had to do anything except just keep riding it. Inside surface inspection after tire replacement also showed zero evidence of problems. Gotta admit, my riding style is not what most would classify as aggressive but wouldn't hesitate to plug again if my current tire ever needed it.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Tesserarius

I've used plugs and had no problems. Thanks for the kind words, it is a great product even if I do say so myself!

post #13 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Yes, I have run with a plugged and patched tyre for a considerable distance. A local repair shop was happy to get involved. The patch on the inside seems to me to be the most important part, to ensure there is no local, specific load on the plug - after that was done, I had zero issues with my Conti motion for another 8,000km [=5,000 mi.].

Others will tell you the only place they would ride a plugged/patched tyre would be down to the store to buy a new one....

Good luck.
Agreed. If a repair is done properly and its not to close to the edge it will be good for the life of the tyre.

Has anybody heard of a tyre failure from a punture repair? I have had 2 done and one was on a front PR3 which I did another 11,000ks on.

Hey Kiwiboy, what did you think of the Conti Motions? Grip and last ok? Getting close to needing tyres on the big ole Bandit.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
Hey Kiwiboy, what did you think of the Conti Motions? Grip and last ok? Getting close to needing tyres on the big ole Bandit.
Yes, good feel and good grip, quite a soft-feeling compound - got 10,000km out of the rear, don't know if that's good or not - some of these guys are talking about lots more out of Pilot Roads, so you'd have to factor in the life of the tyre vs initial cost.

I did have a bead seating issue with the front, which caused it to lose pressure - there was a recall somewhere for that, so it was obviously something they needed to improve on.

post #15 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Yes, good feel and good grip, quite a soft-feeling compound - got 10,000km out of the rear, don't know if that's good or not - some of these guys are talking about lots more out of Pilot Roads, so you'd have to factor in the life of the tyre vs initial cost.

I did have a bead seating issue with the front, which caused it to lose pressure - there was a recall somewhere for that, so it was obviously something they needed to improve on.
Cool, Bandit eats tyres. I got 18,000ks out of PR3s on the Hornet but thats a light weight compared to the Bandit. I got 8,000 out of PR2s on it but a lot of that was 2 up. Thats changing now my beloved has her own bike to ride.

I may give the Contis a shot.

BT016rs are doing well on the Hawk. but will be lucky to get 5,000ks out of them.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Robert

Garage
No experience with bike tires but plugged car tires with poor results. If no one will patch it, have someone like Cycle Gear remove it and have a auto tire shop patch it.

Rode 30,000 miles, till it was worn slap out, on a patched truck tire with no issues. I think a plug effects the belt where a patch won't.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #17 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I've put many miles on a few tires that have been plugged from the inside, Most places are going to call it a Tee plug.

If you ride even a little bit aggressive I would replace it as soon as you can, If you are just commuting ride it to the wear bars.

That said I've also had good luck with Slime. Think of it as fix a flat , before the flat.
Once again I would not use this for fast pace riding .

post #18 of 20 Old 08-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Tirone

Got a roofing nail in my tire 2 hours away from home on a Sunday night. After a two up trip to walmart on the back of my buddy's cb1100. I plugged it with a regular plug kit. Made it home, the following day it was flat.

I did buy motorcycle specific plugs after that which I have more confidence in but still.....I consider them a temporary fix.

post #19 of 20 Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks for the suggestions fellas. me and my buddy are going to do at least one more track day this year, so i think ill bite the bullet and get a new one. but, im going to get my old one patched and keep it around for a spare. or just to mount it up and roast it someday.

post #20 of 20 Old 08-15-2015, 07:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've plugged a Dakota tire, and 2 back tires on the 919. Never s bit of trouble from any of them.

I think if it holds air for the first few days, you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode