My Two Brothers Silencer Project - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

My Two Brothers Silencer Project

I purchased my 9er with just a few miles on it... One of the few mods was a Two Brothers exhaust... I know, I know... everyone is thinking "What a piece of sh*t"... I took the TB exhaust off and put stock cans on that I picked up cheap on Ebay, but they are a little two quiet for my liking.

If I could quiet the noise of the TB exhaust about 10db (or so) I would be very happy. I am thinking that an internal resonance pipe or deflector would do the job without producing excessive back pressure (heat build-up).

Has anyone experimented with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05919er View Post
I purchased my 9er with just a few miles on it... One of the few mods was a Two Brothers exhaust... I know, I know... everyone is thinking "What a piece of sh*t"... I took the TB exhaust off and put stock cans on that I picked up cheap on Ebay, but they are a little two quiet for my liking.

If I could quiet the noise of the TB exhaust about 10db (or so) I would be very happy. I am thinking that an internal resonance pipe or deflector would do the job without producing excessive back pressure (heat build-up).

You'd probably be better off buying another set of pipes. The 919 people on this board seem to like Sato and Yoshimura.

post #3 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Tirone

I just bought a 919 too and it has a two brother single exhaust on it are they that bad is it worth my while to put the stock exhaust back on??? does anyone have a pc 3 map for it I cant find one for hte single exhaust and a K&N air filter

post #4 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge24 View Post
I just bought a 919 too and it has a two brother single exhaust on it are they that bad is it worth my while to put the stock exhaust back on??? does anyone have a pc 3 map for it I cant find one for hte single exhaust and a K&N air filter
Read this about the airfilter. http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm You can also do the flapper mod described on 919.org

2 > 4
post #5 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I don't know if 2bros still offers it, but I remember a few years back they sold a "stealth" exhaust tip for their cans. I suppose the idea was to have a lighter system than stock with some performance gains without all the noise. Todays stock systems are pretty good though, and quiet too. Give 2bros a call.

post #6 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you're satisified with the 2Bro system, who gives a care what anyone elce thinks. I've never owned one, but from what I've seen, they're not that bad.

Another option is to baffelectomise your stock cans. I ran those for 3 seasons, liked those really well. The only reason I have Satos is because a got a set 2nd hand off EBay.

Fern, is that a 929?

post #7 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Pipes

Sniper, I think you just hit the Bull in the butt with a bass fiddle.
The idea is to buy,ride and enjoy your bike,and be legal and safe at the same time. I'm also on the Kawa Concours forum. The guys are ( I was too) so swamped with buying acceptable parts that pleases others. One guy buys a farkel and soon everyone has them. It would be a shame if all our Hornets were Red,with Hi-Sports, Corbin seat, grey F4 rims, Pink haze windsheild. Plus all turned [email protected] on the track.
Be an innovator,and make yours a lil different, if someone don't like it, well, hey they didn't pay for it. Be honest, if you changed a part and it lost 2hp @9,500 rpm could you really tell you lost it? I know I wouldn't.
A friend told me my bike wasn't fast as a Busa! Well, how fast is your's? I asked. You know I'm scared of those things!! Hmmm, I guess that means Lil Red is lots faster then your bike,right.
If all you have is a ragged out Secca, ride it and enjoy the ride.
OK, hopping down off my soap box.

[
post #8 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Just don't get Two Bros. "CARBON" slip-ons, I have a co-worker with a set from 2003 on his Superhawk, they're completely sun-baked and rusty, flaking, and ratted-out...

post #9 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I completely agree that everyone should simply buy & ride what they want and how they want it. Personally, at this point in time, the only bad thing about the Two Brothers cans is that they are simply "too loud". They are about two years (or so) old and look perfect. I cannot complain about anything else (from my experience with them) about the cans.

I will call about the "stealth" tips. I have not seen anything about these on their web-site, but it would not suprise me if someone has already developed what I am thinking of.

Many years ago, I used to make bass boxes for sub-woofers that had various tuning ports. My friends were in a garage band. I can't sing, and I don't play an instrument worth a sh*t... but I could build speaker systems that could shake FT. KNOXX apart.

An exhaust system should be able to be modified to individual taste and preferences by designing tuneable ports & baffles.

Hmmm... maybe I'm on to something here... How cool would it be to have your own desired resonance note & loudness with virtually no loss of horsepower or torque?

My personal taste for exhaust cans would be about a 150Hz tone at about 90Db... stock cans are much tinnier sounding and at less than 80Db. The stock Two Brothers configuration is greater than 110Db... too loud

post #10 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

or maybe sound deadening rings you place in the end of the pipe.......

post #11 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You set anything out in the weather for 4 years and it deteorates.

I think 2Bros offers a repack kit.

My Satos are LOUD. I wear earplugs. Always.

post #12 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 PM
919er

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
My Satos are LOUD. I wear earplugs. Always.
Yeah, I need to start doing that

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
post #13 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Unbannable

The rings are a good idea. It works just by making the hole smaller. I had one for my Jardine system and my Staintunes came with them also.

As long as the diameter is the same it's just a matter of drilling a small hole in the bottom.

post #14 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Doesn't Supertrapp make something like that, a tunable exhaust?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #15 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I've got the TB single can, and I like it. I was set on getting rid of them, because of all the praise on Satos on here, but when it came down to it, my TB was a great price, great sound, and they still look great. I get alot of compliments on my bike, including the exhaust. It's not like I'm looking for an exhaust that gives me the best performance gains, because for my kind of riding, it would not matter. Just be sure to use thread lock on the bracket bolts under the tail. They would tend to rattle loose otherwise.

post #16 of 46 Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Doesn't Supertrapp make something like that, a tunable exhaust?
Yes they did/do, you would vary the number of baffle plates bolted onto the end of the can.

post #17 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM

Re: Tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05919er View Post

You know you know?????? The TB exhaust is not bad; and just because there is a large preference in Satos or Yoshi's does not mean TB is anyless of a good pipe. I have it on my bike and personally i love it... Sounds great and gives me great performance. When i got my pc3 took my ride to honda and had it tuned and mapped... YEAH IT COST ME $$$, but is was worth it...HELL YEAH!
The pipe is loud, i agree there; but if your thinking about disecting the tb pipe might as well just leave the oem cans on. AT THE END ITS ALL ABOUT PREFERENCE...nothing else. my 2cents.

post #18 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I think the Sato pipes are quiet. I heard them on a few 9'ers at the NE BBQ. You guys must have sensitive hearing.

post #19 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I think the Sato pipes are quiet. I heard them on a few 9'ers at the NE BBQ. You guys must have sensitive hearing.
+1. Mike and Mark's bike weren't loud at all. Has a nice rumble at idle though.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Definately not as loud as an unamed members burned out packing Jardine on a FiddyOne!

Oh yeah, speaking of resonance. When riding behind a Touno and the clock ticking around 3000 to 3500 rpm there was a sound that kept rattling into my helmet. I really can't describe it but the mix of the Sato's and the Apro on the Touno made this sound that was soooo f'ing cool I would patent it if I could! Like I said, I can't explain it, you just have to experience it. Closest that I could say would be Ferrari-esque.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #21 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Definately not as loud as an unamed members burned out packing Jardine on a FiddyOne!

Oh yeah, speaking of resonance. When riding behind a Touno and the clock ticking around 3000 to 3500 rpm there was a sound that kept rattling into my helmet. I really can't describe it but the mix of the Sato's and the Apro on the Touno made this sound that was soooo f'ing cool I would patent it if I could! Like I said, I can't explain it, you just have to experience it. Closest that I could say would be Ferrari-esque.

post #22 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Centurion

I agree, my gen 2 Satos are quiet, especially under 5-7K.

post #23 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I agree, my gen 2 Satos are quiet, especially under 5-7K.

I wouldn't say my Sato 2's are quiet, but I would say that they're entirely liveable. Just keep out of the throttle around the neighborhood and they're not bad at all. The sound when you get on it would be the opposite of quiet.

post #24 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Dadogs, I've heard that "sound mix" you described many times. Cool, isn't it.

post #25 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Dadogs, I've heard that "sound mix" you described many times. Cool, isn't it.

Soooo I'm not crazy, or at least I have company

Sniper, I would bottle that sound if I could.

post #26 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Has anyone repacked their cans' insulation? Drilling out the end cap rivets seems like such a hack and the result may not make any sound difference. Is the experiment worth ~$80 in parts and Saturday? My gut says no...

post #27 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have a set of 2B's, and don't have any of the mentioned problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 919.JPG (49.3 KB, 86 views)

post #28 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

My Two Bros suck. They're ugly, they were half the price of anything else, they sound like crap, they are way heavier than stock, and they are falling apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crappy_exhaust.jpg (185.7 KB, 100 views)

post #29 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

There's no way my 2B is heavier than stock. No way. But then, I have the single can version. To each his own, I guess.

post #30 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
There's no way my 2B is heavier than stock. No way. But then, I have the single can version. To each his own, I guess.
A single can must get a LOT hotter than two (half the cooling surface area).

post #31 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I have both the stock 919 cans and the TB cans. I can tell you that the TB cans are about half the weight of the stock cans. Stock cans are heavier than "heck"... but not that it really make a difference in reality.

post #32 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

I guess my sarcasm didn't come off for the people that don't know me around here. I was just messing around. I would love to buy some Satos, of course, but my TBRs do me just fine right now. I actually do like them.

post #33 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
A single can must get a LOT hotter than two (half the cooling surface area).
It actually doesn't get that hot at all. After a long ride, I can still put my hand on it without getting burned. I think the Houston sun, hitting it for a few hours, in 100 degrees temp, may get it hot, though!

post #34 of 46 Old 07-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirman View Post
I guess my sarcasm didn't come off for the people that don't know me around here. I was just messing around. I would love to buy some Satos, of course, but my TBRs do me just fine right now. I actually do like them.
And they look realy nice too! I've never seen TB's like that before. Do they come like that or did you modify them?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #35 of 46 Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

I am not a big fan of chrome, so I had the aluminum TBRs powder coated black. Probably the best couple hundred bucks I spent, looks wise. Oh, and I ripped off the TBR badging, which I'd do on any other exhaust as well, I don't like being a fast billboard

post #36 of 46 Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry tpirman... I guess that I was slow on the "draw"...

The TBs look good with the powder coating... If I can figure a good way to get them just a bit quieter, I think that I may use your powder coating idea.

post #37 of 46 Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Discen

anybody have any left side photos of their tbr single side. anybody know what the weight savings was from ctock to single tbr?

post #38 of 46 Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM

I cut my 2bros in half....looks great, sounds great (get lots of complements)

LOUD AND PROUD!!

post #39 of 46 Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

sounds like a Jeffery Dahmer confession

post #40 of 46 Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM

i just put a single can set up on mine and i love it, but its quieter than with the baflectomy. its quieter than i would have thought? i wonder if it will get louder with time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode