My Stebel install on a 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

My Stebel install on a 919

I had a Stebel Nautilus installed on my Honda Nighthawk when I wrecked it this summer. Instead of letting the insurance benefit from my hard work, I took it off the bike before I let them run off with it to the boneyard. Since I got my 919, I've wanted to get it on there. That pathetic excuse for a horn that came with it was just plain dangerous. So, this past weekend, I went about getting it installed.

Typically what you see with a Stebel install is the compressor and horn unit all mounted together in one tidy package. Tidy as in all together, but that doesn't mean it necessarily LOOKS tidy. In fact, they look rather obnoxious to me. So it was my intent on my 919 to go against the grain and make it less visible. What I did was take the horn off of the compressor. Once I did this, I cut off most of the "ears" of the horn that wrap around the compressor. I left enough (by accident, actually) to drill holes in and run zipties through. I then bought about 5 feet of 5/16" ID fuel line from Lowes. I bought fuel line because 1) it was black and would blend, 2) because I knew it was going to be in close proximity to the engine, and therefore would end up a little warm. Below is what I started with:

I took the horn itself and mounted it to the tube that goes in front of the engine and behind the exhaust that you are supposed to mount your frame sliders to (my next project, hopefully). The hose attaches to the horn via a brass 5/16" plumbing barb that was press fitted into the original port that the compressor blows air into. I wasn't to sure how well the horn would hold up to the heat, but so far I haven't had any problems after about 60 miles and a few 100+ mph streaks. If you look really close, you can see where the horn is behind the exhaust here:

As you can tell, the horn is MUCH less obtrusive than the standard install on a naked bike. Or at least it is to me. Since this picture was taken, I have removed the stock horn. Originally I wanted to have both horns function at the same time, but I decided not to mess with the wiring of it. If you look closely at that picture, you should be able to see the fuel line running from the horn. I routed that up over the engine, under the tank and into a space on the left side of the bike under the seat. This picture might clear it up for you where it goes:

As you can see, the fuel line runs into this area and connects to the compressor that was originally attached to the horn. I have zip tied the exhaust port extension back onto the compressor just because I had read where someone else did this and it seemed like a good idea. I installed the compressor in this empty space using a rubber band like thing that I'm not sure what it's original OEM use was supposed to be. I'm assuming that it's actually there for a reason, but for me, it was there to hold down my compressor.

(NOTE: The manufacturer recommends that the compressor be mounted in a vertical position no more than 15 degrees off of vertical. Obviously I have not followed this recommendation. I don't know how this will affect the compressor and any damage that is caused is my own problem. If you choose to follow my lead, and damage that is caused by you mounting your compressor this way is YOUR problem. )

I mounted the relay with super strong double sided tape to an area just above the battery box. You can ALMOST make it out in this picture (sorry, decided to take this picture after everything was back together again).

In all, I think it turned out to be a fairly clean install. Unless you are looking for it, you'd never know I have this horn installed on my bike. I like to keep things hidden like that. Even more, I like to roll up on pedestrians walking down the sidewalk and blast the daylights out of them. I'm a mean guy.

Hope this helps someone else wanting to install this horn.

Beardking

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Tirone??

Great Job! I may borrow this great Idea from you in the future when I decide to upgrade my horn! Looks very nice.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #3 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

gosh damned good write up
where can i get one?

post #4 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
gosh damned good write up
where can i get one?
Thanks guys. I hope this was helpful.

www.bikerhiway.com
www.twistedthrottle.com

If you have a Northern Tool or Harbor Freight nearby (or wanna order online) they have them, but they are called a Wolo BadBoy. I've been told that these are exactly the same as the Stebel, just branded different.

One thing to note to anyone that decides to take on this project. When it comes time to separate the horn from the compressor, it's going to seem like you are about to break it before it actually comes apart. Be careful as there are a couple of tabs at either end (if I remember correctly) that hold the horn onto the compressor. These need to be disengaged to get the horn loose.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Good wright up BK.

Professional
post #6 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 AM
DaveCB919F4

One thing the reason they mount them vertical is for draining the condensation.

post #7 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQqxhRQ1rPE found a clip to hear one ..damn that is loud................. +1

2003 MATTE BLACK 919,POWDER COATED MUFFLER SHEILDS,BAFFLES REMOVED,GIVI 755 WIND SCREEN
BOUGHT 9/9/2008 395 MILES ,2ND BIKE 1983 V65
ROCK HILL, SC
post #8 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

we sell them at work... 139 decibels loud as flock!!

the general manager took the demo off of the parts counter and hid it in his office.. it is LOUD

post #9 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Milites Gregarius

Man that seems like a lot of extra effort. I just mounted mine in the stock location in once piece and it looks fine. I think the only thing I am going to change is the red wire that came with the wiring kit. Either that or just wrap both wires in black tape. Can we get some pictures of your install and I'll post a few of mine?

I got no time for the jibba-jabba. - Mr. T
post #10 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPDSQD View Post
Man that seems like a lot of extra effort. I just mounted mine in the stock location in once piece and it looks fine. I think the only thing I am going to change is the red wire that came with the wiring kit. Either that or just wrap both wires in black tape. Can we get some pictures of your install and I'll post a few of mine?
Did the pictures in this thread not show up for you?

I originally thought about putting it in the stock location, however I didn't like how low to the ground it was and how it was pretty much in a direct path of anything being flung off the front tire. I knew that with my luck, it'd be a goner within the first week.

post #11 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice clean install! I put mine as far forward (LOUD!) as possible... on the HL! YEAH YOU CAN HEAR ME!

post #12 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing your project with the masses

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

doing this mod immediately ..i want a car to think they are pulling in front of a semi

2003 MATTE BLACK 919,POWDER COATED MUFFLER SHEILDS,BAFFLES REMOVED,GIVI 755 WIND SCREEN
BOUGHT 9/9/2008 395 MILES ,2ND BIKE 1983 V65
ROCK HILL, SC
post #14 of 28 Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
Did the pictures in this thread not show up for you?

I originally thought about putting it in the stock location, however I didn't like how low to the ground it was and how it was pretty much in a direct path of anything being flung off the front tire. I knew that with my luck, it'd be a goner within the first week.
If there are picutures I'm not seeing them.

When I refer to the stock location I mean I actually reused the flat black metal bracket that the stock horn is on instead of mounting to frame bolt. (This was too close to the header pipes.) I just road 1500 miles throught the mountains with it and no issues. I plan on washing the bike tonight and I'll get some pictures up.

post #15 of 28 Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Try these:

Compressor location: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/...b1f953ba_b.jpg

Horn location (look behind the exhaust): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/...9be10a4d_b.jpg

What it looked like before I put it on the bike: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/...e30e2e4f_b.jpg

I'm not including the pic of the relay because there really isn't enough visible for it to be useful, but if anyone needs a better pic of where it's at, I'd be happy to get some.

post #16 of 28 Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Is it just the light in my eyes or did you mount it near the melting headers? The Italian plastic isn't oven rated.

The LOUDEST location is mounted to the HL! Many errand cages have attempted to change lanes without looking, then heard the semi bearing down, and returned back TWO lanes to avoid being taken out by the ferocious 9er!

post #17 of 28 Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Is it just the light in my eyes or did you mount it near the melting headers? The Italian plastic isn't oven rated.
Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you. I placed it right between the headers and the engine. I figured if I was going to screw it up, I'd screw it up right. So far it's been through quite a few heat cycles and as far as I can see, there hasn't been any damage caused to the plastic as of yet. When I decided to install it there I figured that the horn had survived a crash so far, maybe it'd be able to survive some heat too.

As for the effectiveness of the Stebel, I'm a BIG fan of them. This thing has save my bacon numerous times (and I have a lot of bacon to save) when it was mounted on my Nighthawk. It may be a little less loud where it's at, but so far it hasn't been subdued enough to become as ineffective as the stock horn was.

post #18 of 28 Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you. I placed it right between the headers and the engine. I figured if I was going to screw it up, I'd screw it up right. So far it's been through quite a few heat cycles and as far as I can see, there hasn't been any damage caused to the plastic as of yet. When I decided to install it there I figured that the horn had survived a crash so far, maybe it'd be able to survive some heat too.

As for the effectiveness of the Stebel, I'm a BIG fan of them. This thing has save my bacon numerous times (and I have a lot of bacon to save) when it was mounted on my Nighthawk. It may be a little less loud where it's at, but so far it hasn't been subdued enough to become as ineffective as the stock horn was.
Ok then I don't need glasses.
As the plastic melts you will get your own custom sound (still LOUD!), flocks of geese will follow you home.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Try these:

Compressor location: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/...b1f953ba_b.jpg

Horn location (look behind the exhaust): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/...9be10a4d_b.jpg

What it looked like before I put it on the bike: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/...e30e2e4f_b.jpg

I'm not including the pic of the relay because there really isn't enough visible for it to be useful, but if anyone needs a better pic of where it's at, I'd be happy to get some.
Blocked at work.

post #20 of 28 Old 10-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

goto proxy.org and you can go around websence.. we do it .... i mean i have heard of it being done at my work

post #21 of 28 Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked919 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQqxhRQ1rPE found a clip to hear one ..damn that is loud................. +1

I musta skipped over this post earlier. Here is what this Stebel sounded like on my Nighthawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBp54sP5nmQ

post #22 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Well, after a full week of daily use and being located in what is probably one of the hottest spots on the 919, the plastic on the horn has seen no damage to it. I'm thinking that this location is a keeper.

post #23 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 08:28 AM
boogerface

I mistakenly pressed the horn twice while out riding yesterday. Then again, another rider did the same when he went to acknowledge me... I have Hella Supertones on my car, but I think the stock horn is pretty loud. This is a tempting mod, though...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #24 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
I mistakenly pressed the horn twice while out riding yesterday. Then again, another rider did the same when he went to acknowledge me... I have Hella Supertones on my car, but I think the stock horn is pretty loud. This is a tempting mod, though...

If you think the stocker is loud, you'll flip over this one.

post #25 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
boogerface

I was looking at the Nautilus Compact... I saw this video, look at the headlight with the Nautilus installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnNPUiE37I

Michael Reyes

post #26 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

bike wasnt running so it was not recharging the battery. Merely using juice and it took from the headlight.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #27 of 28 Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
boogerface

True, but I thought it was funny...

Michael Reyes

post #28 of 28 Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Milites Gregarius

hey beardking, sorry to ressurrect an oil thread, but ive just got a nautilus as well and am preparing to wire it soon. I do like how u have disconnect the compressor from the horn itself. Since you first installed it, has this setup given you any drama, or are you more than happy with it?

Thanks in advance mate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode