My 'new' favourite tyre on the 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

My 'new' favourite tyre on the 919.

Recently I spooned a pair of the new (released last year) Continental Road Attack 2 tyres. Conti categorises these as Sport Touring – more on this later.

I have previously been running a set of Pilot Powers for the past 2500 kms and prior to that Pilot Road 2’s. Before that the OEM Hi-Sports. The Powers were a change from Sport Touring tyres and although I’d rate them as the best bang for buck sport tyre out there I did not dig the profile. As is typical with sport tyres the front profile tends to be quite pointy and aggressively tip the bike into corners.

Personally I prefer a more neutral input when turning so back to sport touring rubber it was and the Powers went up for sale. I’d had good experience with Contis original Attack tyres on a big bore Suzuki (Road rear, Sport front – that was a big heavy bike so the sport profile worked very well) and the new 2 series is reviewing well. The reviews all stated they tend more towards sport than touring.

A interesting thing with these new generation Conti Road Attack 2 and the new Sport Attack 2 are the new tyre has a scrubbed finish – they call it traction skin and darn it if it is not a brilliant idea. When my rubber went on the wheels were sitting new to another customers new tyres and what a visible difference. Like looking at matt and gloss paints! Scrub in was a non-event – there was none! Ride to get some heat in them then fang it.

Now do they preform you ask – very well thank you. I’m calling them SPORT/touring tyres with a capital SPORT – they are very sticky, the input is neutral (I’m in control again) and interestingly the bike handles noticeably better than on PP’s. No doubt this is something to do with carcass construction but they really suit my suspension set-up (Ohlins rear and front springs).

Interesting things – I had zero chicken strips on the rear Power – yet I have been cornering faster and more aggressively on the Road 2’s on the same roads however there is still 10mm of unused rubber on either side of the back (ditto front). It will be nothing more than a profile thing but rather odd! Good to know there is rubber left if I seriously overcook a corner.

For feel and grip I rate them higher than the PR2, how long they will last is a different matter – I suspect they will wear quicker than the PR2 due to the way the front edges rough up after a aggressive squirt around the hills.

So if you are looking for rubber I rate them as the best tyres I’ve run on the 919 yet (subject to even wear over their life). Try a set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg continental_road_attack_2_grammer_1.jpg (76.8 KB, 23 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

allen,
nice write-up,but i've got a question.
1. how's the price in your world? you say things are more $$ in aussie. here they're about $50 us more than the q2,& pr2 for the rear.and $25 more than the pr3.

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #3 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Milites Gregarius

I put a set on almost a year ago. Absolutely love them. Great traction in the rain. Warm up quick. Still look brand new.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #4 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Interesting things – I had zero chicken strips on the rear Power – yet I have been cornering faster and more aggressively on the Road 2’s on the same roads however there is still 10mm of unused rubber on either side of the back (ditto front). It will be nothing more than a profile thing but rather odd! Good to know there is rubber left if I seriously overcook a corner.
You mean the Conti's, right?

Aye, I'm always weighing out the price vs performance. I'm curious to see the mileage on these things.

post #5 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Ginger-prick

I work at a car dealer and have had only bad experience dealing/selling Continental tires for cages. That kinda scares me away from using their motorcycle tires.

By problems, I mean unusual/premature wear and high-speed vibrations.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Oops should be 'Attack 2: Yep - I find I can corner quicker on the Contis. Darn things are excellent!

Price wise - I got a good deal at NZ$540 for the pair - in New Zealand all top brand tyres are basically $600 plus a pair! You can pretty much pick a set of tyres you desire out of the bunch and the cost will be marginal against anything else. I see Dunlop advertising in Aussie magazines reduced prices but that has not been reflected in NZ.

Put it this way, the PP I had imported from Jake Wilson, fitted them and used them for 2500 kms then sold them nicely scrubbed in at just under the original purchase price! Now that was good mileage for my $!

Are they worth more than a PR2 ? - I won't know until I kill them, right now I'm saying yes due to the way they are preforming on my bike with my suspension set up (on my crappy roads).

post #7 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
I work at a car dealer and have had only bad experience dealing/selling Continental tires for cages. That kinda scares me away from using their motorcycle tires.

By problems, I mean unusual/premature wear and high-speed vibrations.
In Europe they are considered a respected car tyre and OEM fitment to many BMW's and the likes.

I read an interesting post by a NZ tyre dude on a local forum last week regarding Dunlop motorcycle tyres - they make them different for the USA and Europe due to different riding conditions (US = straight roads, Europe = corners) and road materials.

post #8 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

YES!

I'm shocked these are not more popular. I have had a really good experience with the Road Attack and Sport Attack tires. As I've posed before, if they are available for my bikes, I buy them not needing to do any more research. I've received quite a bit of grief for recommending them to others and usually by people that have never used them. I do find that the Sports tip in very quickly as you mentioned for the PP which is unusual for others that have never felt that sensation before, but its easy to get used to. I highly recommend Attack tires of any type.

post #9 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Continentals are OEM for most of the German Lux brands, see how they them selves are a German brand. I just put some on my wifes Acura TL and they are WAY better than the Bridgestones she had on there.

It would not surprise me in the least that they would be a good choice for MCs lets see if BMW will get away from Metzlers and go with Conties.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Price wise - I got a good deal at NZ$540 for the pair - in New Zealand all top brand tyres are basically $600 plus a pair! You can pretty much pick a set of tyres you desire out of the bunch and the cost will be marginal against anything else. I see Dunlop advertising in Aussie magazines reduced prices but that has not been reflected in NZ.

thx,i was just wondering how they compaired to other tyres(spelled 4 you .)
$540 for a set($442.09 us)....f me!!
i paid $223 otd for q2's i can buy 2 pairs to your 1.
allen is there tax on your end if i bought you a set and shipped to you?
say as a "birthday present"?

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #11 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

As long as I land imported items under NZ$400 I am tax and import duty free. Bike consumables are silly prices here - A Honda oil filter will run me NZ$30! I have been bulk buying them from the States along with air filters etc. Replacement parts run up to six times dearer than in the USA.

One of the problems is the entire Motorcycle market here is controlled by a handful of people so they may dictate the pricing. Tyres went up a number of years ago when our dollar was weak but it has been strong for a while down however they have just continued to rise in price. They only good thing is with the constant advancement in motorcycle tyres you get something stickier that last longer than the previous generation each time you change!

Which makes me wonder if we are not far off the limit of tyre technology. Mind you I remember magazines asking the same when radial were introduced.

post #12 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Which makes me wonder if we are not far off the limit of tyre technology. Mind you I remember magazines asking the same when radial were introduced.
DUH DUH DUUUUUUHH!!!!!!

Airless tire test for Offroad - YouTube

post #13 of 31 Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Aw gad! I can just see the Harley and 'Wing guys running those!

post #14 of 31 Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Quote:
Aw gad! I can just see the Harley and 'Wing guys running those!
I've been in a veichle that was running those. The nosie was ungodly loud at highway speeds. I think it would almost be a step back in tyre technology at this point to run those things.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I've been in a vehicle that was running those. The noise was ungodly loud at highway speeds. I think it would almost be a step back in tire technology at this point to run those things.

i agree dave,for consumer vehicles.altho they look pretty good for the humvee.

post #16 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Centurion

Allan, How did the Contis work out? Im up for some tyres and have been told to go PR3 but I like the look of the Contis.

post #17 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 AM
Hastatus Posterior

What have you been using? What do you mainly use the bike for?

I have done a lot of commuting in, rain or shine, as you know, in a usually WET Auckland. The last few years I have used PR2's as they are brilliant for our conditions, very good mileage and good for weekend stuff. I spoke to someone recently (a commuter) that is on his second set of PR3's and he reckons they are fantastic (an improvement on the already very good 2's).

post #18 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
What have you been using? What do you mainly use the bike for?

I have done a lot of commuting in, rain or shine, as you know, in a usually WET Auckland. The last few years I have used PR2's as they are brilliant for our conditions, very good mileage and good for weekend stuff. I spoke to someone recently (a commuter) that is on his second set of PR3's and he reckons they are fantastic (an improvement on the already very good 2's).
The bike came with Pilots. Very old and the rear has a bad flat spot around the center. I commute every day from out west to the airport. Like to hit the twistys and am looking at an ART day at Hampton later on.

Dont know if you know Gremlin and Toto, they both reckon PR2s over 3 due to flexy sidewalls. I had PR2s on my 1200 Bandit and they were great but thats a heavier bike.

Open to ideas.

post #19 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Did a LOT of commuting and then all sorts on the weekends. Did a track day with the PR2's. Don't know the PR3's but the PR2's, as I say, are brilliant for our wet conditions. Never had a scary moment on them.

Replace those old tires! Old, hardened tires are no reflection on what a fresh set will be like. My Dad had the similar issue when he bought his bike. The tyres still looked perfect, but were old and went off/hard.
He replaced them with PR2's. It transformed the bike.

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product..._road_spo.aspx

post #20 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
The bike came with Pilots. Very old and the rear has a bad flat spot around the center. I commute every day from out west to the airport. Like to hit the twistys and am looking at an ART day at Hampton later on.

Dont know if you know Gremlin and Toto, they both reckon PR2s over 3 due to flexy sidewalls. I had PR2s on my 1200 Bandit and they were great but thats a heavier bike.

Open to ideas.
I've been using Pirelli Diablos and they've been good for me.

Make sure you investigate the US pricing [sadly local dollar not doing so well just now] and delivery costs - last tyres I have had sent from Jake Wilson, and even with courier delivery costs, still saved $$$ over NZ retail prices - sad, but true.

post #21 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Centurion

Just booked in for some PR3s at Drury tyres on Monday.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I've been using Pirelli Diablos and they've been good for me.

Make sure you investigate the US pricing [sadly local dollar not doing so well just now] and delivery costs - last tyres I have had sent from Jake Wilson, and even with courier delivery costs, still saved $$$ over NZ retail prices - sad, but true.
That's because as the same with everything else, its about 2 or 3 guys that have the agency to bring everything in and charging what they want. Its not the retailers, it's the distributors. I happened (quite by accident) to see a dealer's price list (it was quite open and left right in front of me). They actually make very little on their bikes, especially if you take what I saw as the list price, as they usually get haggled down.

What we pay for everything here is a disgrace, even if you take into consideration our market size.

We have a virtual monopoly or duopoly in NZ in all our sectors. "The Old Boys Club" is nowhere as active as here.

post #23 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
That's because as the same with everything else, its about 2 or 3 guys that have the agency to bring everything in and charging what they want. Its not the retailers, it's the distributors. I happened (quite by accident) to see a dealer's price list (it was quite open and left right in front of me). They actually make very little on their bikes, especially if you take what I saw as the list price, as they usually get haggled down.

What we pay for everything here is a disgrace, even if you take into consideration our market size.

We have a virtual monopoly or duopoly in NZ in all our sectors. "The Old Boys Club" is nowhere as active as here.
Try telling Robert Taylor that!

Getting an ok deal on the tyres. Well cheaper than advertised anywhere ive seen. I buy most things of ebay these days.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
Try telling Robert Taylor that!

Getting an ok deal on the tyres. Well cheaper than advertised anywhere ive seen. I buy most things of ebay these days.
It's true. How is it that we can get bike spares or accessories at sometimes if not, close to half price in some cases of the net?
As I said, even taking our market size into consideration, what we get charged here for anything is nothing short of a disgrace. Then they want to cry about us buying things on the internet and bypassing conventional shopping, citing all kinds of bullshit reasons why internet shopping is killing the industry. Well, if they weren't so damn greedy in the first place, then we would shop locally a lot more.

How is it that NZ products are being sold cheaper off the shelf overseas than here, for example? Its a racket across all sectors.
Why is it that there is a creeping divide between the haves and the have-nots in NZ? It's because the top guys that control everything is raking it in whilst middle class NZ is being torn a "new one" every-time at the check-out counter, amongst other reasons. Take bikes for example, we are being asked to buy bikes at Australian prices with NZ salaries. It's not on.

post #25 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Left of Centre

post #26 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Left of Centre

How r the PR3's doing, Spokes?

post #27 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Centurion

Quote:
How r the PR3's doing, Spokes?
Loving them. Went up Highway 16 today to the lookout. Starting to get a feel for corners on the bike. Sit got a little chicken strip on the rear but that will go with confidence in the bike.

I dont get to do the rides like that often with looking after my girl and kids etc. Today was a great riding day.

Only saw one other Hornet today.

post #28 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Left of Centre

Yeah, well, it wasn't mine!

Good to hear you're liking the tyres. What's yr current feeling about the suspension, then?

post #29 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Yeah, well, it wasn't mine!

Good to hear you're liking the tyres. What's yr current feeling about the suspension, then?
Its ok, could be better. I will grab that spring off you soon and swap it over when I change to a low mount exhaust. It feels to bottom out in places in the rear. Fork feels good. I think a respring will be needed in the future in the fork when money allows.

But very ride able and fun.

post #30 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Left of Centre

Yep, sure, I've remembered I've also got some Progressive fork springs on the shelf you could try if you wanted...

Let me know.

post #31 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Yep, sure, I've remembered I've also got some Progressive fork springs on the shelf you could try if you wanted...

Let me know.
LOL, your a one stop shop!

Will PM you and pop over one night after work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Goldwing | no cans? »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode