My first impressions of my 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Oh, you didn't know?!

My first impressions of my 919

Okay, I've had my 919 for a few weeks now and thought I give my first impressions of it. I have 2 main issues about the bike.
1) The seat sucks!
2) The seat sucks!

Other than that, the bike is awsome. It is so easy to ride. The guy I bought it from let me take it for a spin around the block, I jumped on it an took off as if I'd been riding the bike for years. Handles like a dream (compaired to my VTX1800 I sold) and so far seems to be getting great MPG. I'm getting the seat reworked to be more a saddle and not so much of a angle into the tank (I'm not big on sitting on my nads ). Once that issue is resolved, I'll be ready for a longer ride. Once I have a MPG, I'll post it also. Well, I need to head to work, it's 45 degrees and I'm riding...Brrrrrr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Tyrone Shoelaces

What is your height/weight? I really like the stock seat.

ďYou may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.Ē-Ron Swanson
post #3 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwildman
Okay, I've had my 919 for a few weeks now and thought I give my first impressions of it. I have 2 main issues about the bike.
1) The seat sucks!
2) The seat sucks!

Other than that, the bike is awsome. It is so easy to ride. The guy I bought it from let me take it for a spin around the block, I jumped on it an took off as if I'd been riding the bike for years. Handles like a dream (compaired to my VTX1800 I sold) and so far seems to be getting great MPG. I'm getting the seat reworked to be more a saddle and not so much of a angle into the tank (I'm not big on sitting on my nads ). Once that issue is resolved, I'll be ready for a longer ride. Once I have a MPG, I'll post it also. Well, I need to head to work, it's 45 degrees and I'm riding...Brrrrrr.
Had a VTX 1800c and agree the 919 is a totally different world. But considering there is a 300 plus pound weight difference... And yes, the stock seat SUCKS! But all stock Honda seats suck.

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero*
2004 Honda 919 *
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #4 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 AM
Former 919er

Congrats on the bike. You're right, it is easy to ride.

I never had a problem with the seat, and I did several 8-12 hour rides. Is used to do a lot of mountain biking and compared to a bicycle seat, the 919 seat is a LazyBoy!

post #5 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Your first impression matches mine when I first got the bike. Very easy to ride and any more than an hour in the seat sucked. Hope you can get it re-worked to make it better.

post #6 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwildman View Post
;;; it's 45 degrees and I'm riding...Brrrrrr.
37 here, about a 10 mile commute. Felt GREAT!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
hooligan on the 919

I'll agree on the seat, never liked it...but too cheap to do anything about it =P

post #8 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
8th bike and 2nd 919!

I didnt think the stock seat was terrible but, my corbin seems to have more ventilation and that seems to keep your butt cooler which helps with overall comfort especially when it's hot out.. The corbin seat needs to be broken in to be comfortable but, once it fits you like a saddle it seems to be the best option in my opinion. There is the option of removing your cover and sectioning in a gel pad or other memory type foam. Also the spencer seat modification gets good reviews. You'll be without your seat for a bit. same deal with a sargent seat that also uses your seat pan. You couold also buy one of the nicer covers in leather and just cover it in an extra layer of memory foam and that may help. The corbin adds a little heght if you dont specify when ordering. If you buy used it may be slightly more fitted to the original rider but will break in to your fit needs as well.

On my 2nd niner! 2wheels are better than 4
post #9 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Tirone

I picked up my 919 last Sept. and have ridden about 3k miles on it so far. I almost made a post at one point about how much I LIKED the stock seat, so I guess it really comes down to different people’s preferences, though size and riding position, etc. might have something to do with it too. I’m 36, 5’7”, ~150 lbs.

I have chronic lower back pain / tightness. I also like to take long-ish rides of ~150 - 250 miles regularly, which makes managing that discomfort a challenge sometimes. In the past I would generally stop every 50 miles or so for a couple minutes (or more) to stretch out my creaky back.

My other bike is a ’01 Suzuki SV650 (‘S’ style with clip-ons for its first 11 years and a naked bike with a handlebar as of last summer). The bike I sold in order to make room for the 919 was a Suzuki S50 Boulevard (i.e. Intruder). I found the stock SV seat to be fairly uncomfortable. I bought a gel seat for it way back in ’01 or ’02. That still didn’t do much for my back pain. The stock seat on the Boulevard is a brick. I splurged on a Corbin Gunfighter seat soon after I bought that bike, which unfortunately wasn’t much/any better for me, at least as far as my back tightening up on me during longer rides.

Anyway, my point is that between these 3 bikes that I’ve ridden over the last 12 years or so, the stock 919 seat is by far the most comfortable for me. I find myself extending my time between stops to 75, 100, or even 125 miles or so. A few weeks ago, I was a couple miles from home after a ~235 mile ride, and I was going out of my way to add a few extra detours just to extend the ride a little. On the SV or Boulevard I would have started shortening the route and counting the miles to home 100+ miles ago, if not sooner. I’m really not sure if it’s mostly a matter of the 919 seat being the right level of cushioning for me (i.e. not too firm, not too soft), or if it might just be that this seat doesn’t force me into a more restricted riding position like the smaller SV seat and the contoured Boulevard Corbin seat. Maybe it’s a little of both. I know on the 919, if I start to feel some tightness in my back and hamstrings, I’m able to shift my position forward or back a little which I think helps me loosen up.

post #10 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwildman View Post
1) The seat sucks!
2) The seat sucks!
Unless you are as small and light as LucilleBrawl or the average Japanese dude, the stock seat is awful. Hence why so many people replace it.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #11 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
TEXAN

Huh. 6'2" and about 185 here, and so far I really like the stock seat. It isn't much to look at, but it works well for me.

post #12 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Aquilifer

I assuming you never put any miles on a Vmax or SV1000.

Those seats suuuuuuuuuuuck..........

Put me the "I like the stock seat" group.

post #13 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Oh, you didn't know?!

Thanks for the feedback. I like hearing the different views everyone has. I'm 37, about 5'9" and around 175lbs. The issue with the seat for me is it just seems like it pushes you forward into the tank, which results in a "testicular discomfort" . Every person is made different an is going to fit a seat differently. That's why I'm a big fan of customizing your seat for "you". I had Mean Cit Cycles do my last seat on the VTX and it was great. Saturday morning I'm taking my 919 seat to a guy 5 minutes from me that has an upholstery shop and has done motorcycle seats before. I'm going to see if he can replace the stock foam with something more comfy and level the seat out some so it's more of a saddle. Last weekend I actually reshaped the seat myself and it turned out pretty nice, it just needs to be softer now. At least he can see what I did and use that as a template.
Oh, and as for MPG, the light was starting to come on ocassionaly tonight at 156 miles. I figure it has at least 160-165 in it easy, and I filled it up with the bike on the side stand when I filled up last.

post #14 of 36 Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Discen

Send your seat to Spencer , make sure to contact him first as will need pics of you sitting on the bike in the riding position , (you wont regret it) he did a nice job on mine .

Page 1

post #15 of 36 Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM
hooligan on the 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Unless you are as small and light as LucilleBrawl or the average Japanese dude, the stock seat is awful. Hence why so many people replace it.
idk about that...i'm maybe 150lbs spread over a scrawny 6' frame and i don't like it either...though that might be due to a lack of padding on my part

post #16 of 36 Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Oh, you didn't know?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-man View Post
idk about that...i'm maybe 150lbs spread over a scrawny 6' frame and i don't like it either...though that might be due to a lack of padding on my part
Yep, could be my problem also, "boney butt"

post #17 of 36 Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
Send your seat to Spencer , make sure to contact him first as will need pics of you sitting on the bike in the riding position , (you wont regret it) he did a nice job on mine .

Page 1
+1 on the Spencer Seat Mod. We had ours lowered with the comfort foam mod installed.......................what a difference! Unfortunately, it will cost a few bucks to ship it UPS down to Frank in Florida. The turnaround time and his workmanship is top shelf.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #18 of 36 Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Tirone

Actually the comfort is not based on your height or weight, as can be seen by everyones comments.
The only people that find them uncomfortable are those with large male organs.
Since the seat was designed by Japanese men, they could not forsee this problem or experience it during testing.
Do some web searching and you will find that this is a well known fact in the scientific community.

post #19 of 36 Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Enginerd

+ 1 on a spencer seat mod. If you get a lamp box 12 x 12 x 48 from a moving store and cut the length to fit it was $15 each way FedEx.

I really like the seat and took my saddle time from 30 minutes 90 min between stretch stops.

That being said I stumbled over a great deal on a Corbin - on short trips so far I prefer the spencer - but going on a medium distance ride this weekend so I'll see how that goes.

You had the same complaint I did about the stock one - too much angle towards the tank- one quick fix for that is to prevent the seat from moving down any further after you sit on it.

If you push down on the front you'll see it drops about 1/2"

I had spencer adjust my foam and that fixed that problem as well.

- Bryan
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 ABS
2010 VW GTI DSG
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo
post #20 of 36 Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog
Actually the comfort is not based on your height or weight, as can be seen by everyones comments.
The only people that find them uncomfortable are those with large male organs.
Since the seat was designed by Japanese men, they could not forsee this problem or experience it during testing.
Do some web searching and you will find that this is a well known fact in the scientific community.
Hmm I have complaints with stock seat about the discomfort and numbing effect of the stock seat... and if I'm big...that means I should have a Japanese girlfriend

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #21 of 36 Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
Hmm I have complaints with stock seat about the discomfort and numbing effect of the stock seat... and if I'm big...that means I should have a Japanese girlfriend
Just proves you are bigger than the average Japanese.

Move to Japan and you could be the Japanese John Holmes!

But of course my post was only meant to be humorous, so I hope no one was offended.

post #22 of 36 Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc_76 View Post
My other bike is a í01 Suzuki SV650 (ĎSí style with clip-ons for its first 11 years and a naked bike with a handlebar as of last summer). The bike I sold in order to make room for the 919 was a Suzuki S50 Boulevard (i.e. Intruder).

Anyway, my point is that between these 3 bikes that Iíve ridden over the last 12 years or so, the stock 919 seat is by far the most comfortable for me.

Iím really not sure if itís mostly a matter of the 919 seat being the right level of cushioning for me (i.e. not too firm, not too soft), or if it might just be that this seat doesnít force me into a more restricted riding position like the smaller SV seat and the contoured Boulevard Corbin seat. Maybe itís a little of both. I know on the 919, if I start to feel some tightness in my back and hamstrings, Iím able to shift my position forward or back a little which I think helps me loosen up.
A lot of the problem is not the seat but the riding position, on the 919 or any bike. I have almost identical issues (back) and bikes (M50 cruiser, SV650, 919) as you. The problem for me with cruisers was that you were "locked in" one position, which would become uncomfortable after a while. Second, the position itself felt like sitting in a recliner and then trying to reach forward to grab the handlebars. Inherently uncomfortable on the lower back.

Bottom line, a lot of "seat" issues really come down to riding position, not foam. BKWildman -- I would encourage you to push your butt farther back on the seat. One key to long-distance comfort on rides is changing positions from time to time. If you dish your seat too much, you'll be locked in and unable to do this. Here's some good info about seat shapes and riding positions:

Sargent Cycle Products - The Road to Comfort

post #23 of 36 Old 05-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

High five for new 919 owners!

I've had my 03 almost 2 weeks now (once I got to ride my boyfriend's 599 a few times and that sold me on what bike I was going to move to from my GS500F).

Quote:
Other than that, the bike is awesome. It is so easy to ride...Handles like a dream
I think that's one of the best things about both the 599 & 919, it's as if you were daydreaming about the perfect motorcycle and then found out it was real.

As to the seat...lacking the necessary equipment to make testicular endangerment a fear, and also, being 5'3" and 130lbs...but the foam needs replaced for sure, so I definitely want to hear about what kind of new seat you get.

post #24 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
A lot of the problem is not the seat but the riding position, on the 919 or any bike. I have almost identical issues (back) and bikes (M50 cruiser, SV650, 919) as you. The problem for me with cruisers was that you were "locked in" one position, which would become uncomfortable after a while. Second, the position itself felt like sitting in a recliner and then trying to reach forward to grab the handlebars. Inherently uncomfortable on the lower back.

Bottom line, a lot of "seat" issues really come down to riding position, not foam. BKWildman -- I would encourage you to push your butt farther back on the seat. One key to long-distance comfort on rides is changing positions from time to time. If you dish your seat too much, you'll be locked in and unable to do this. Here's some good info about seat shapes and riding positions:

Sargent Cycle Products - The Road to Comfort
The S50 really did a number on my hamstrings, which in turn tightened up my lower back and eventually became quite uncomfortable. I blamed it on the more locked in, relaxed/reclined position but never really proved definitively that was the culprit. Good to hear some confirmation for what I suspected.

post #25 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Tirone

i like my seat. but coming from a drz400sm it had a brick for a seat

post #26 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
i like my seat. but coming from a drz400sm it had a brick for a seat
Which is great, because you can also use it to scrub in new tires!

(inside joke)

Welcome to the site!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #27 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Oh, you didn't know?!

Well, I haven't got a new seat and not sure I will. What I did was pull back the seat cover and reshaped it a bit myself. I made it a bit more flat, but not too much, recessed an area in front that would be the "ball smasher". Basiclly, I cuped the area for a bit more breathing room if you will. I made the center part of the seat a bit lower than the outsides, so I sit on my cheeks. Since I removed some foam, I got a new layer about 1/4" thick from a local upholstery shop (didn't even charge me, just said good luck with the project!!) and put that over the top for a little more padding. And the best part is cost me $0!!!! It's not perfect yet, but better than stock for sure. I don't think I'd pay someone else to re-do your seat, it's pretty easy to work with, just take your time.

post #28 of 36 Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc_76 View Post
The S50 really did a number on my hamstrings, which in turn tightened up my lower back and eventually became quite uncomfortable. I blamed it on the more locked in, relaxed/reclined position but never really proved definitively that was the culprit. Good to hear some confirmation for what I suspected.
I'm with you. I like to compare it to riding a horse. Stirrups hang straight down below the saddle. Pick your feet straight up and that's where they go. It's comfortable and your back is straight. That's basically the riding position on a standard bike like the 919.

Now, imagine if they hung the stirrups up by the horse's neck. It would look ridiculous and be uncomfortable. No one would even think of doing it, yet that's pretty much the riding position on a cruiser. Honestly, I think that's why you see so many cruisers with driver backrests and floorboards and highway pegs and aftermarket seats and everything else. They add all that junk trying to make an uncomfortable position comfortable.

Whenever I started having back issues, that was all my cruiser riding buddies' advice -- buy a bunch of junk. But as soon as I got off the cruiser and onto a bike with a more reasonable riding position, the problem went away.

post #29 of 36 Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Tirone

I find the stock seat good some days and not so good other days. So i use the Air Hawk and that helps a great deal.i have extended my frame sliders with 1" spacers so i can put my feet or calves on them to stretch my legs forward and then use my pillion pegs to hook my feet on to stretch them back. i also do a bum cheek swap from side to side That way i can ride from tank fill to tank fill quite OK.

post #30 of 36 Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
I'm with you. I like to compare it to riding a horse. Stirrups hang straight down below the saddle. Pick your feet straight up and that's where they go. It's comfortable and your back is straight. That's basically the riding position on a standard bike like the 919.
I'm glad someone else has this comparison - all the people I know who ride bikes and haven't ridden horses scoff at the idea, but really, it's incredibly similar. I'm pretty sure that includes doing wheelies on the 919 - since my instinct is to lean forward when I'm taking off, her front wheel (so far) has stayed on the ground).

That leads to a question, though - what are the advantages & disadvantages of wheelie-ing? Does it give the bike better acceleration? Or is it basically just something for showing off? If I can successfully not-wheelie, for instance, will I be more successful on a drag strip?

Totally aside - would adapting a saddle for a motorcycle seat be useful? Hmmm...

post #31 of 36 Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post

That leads to a question, though - what are the advantages & disadvantages of wheelie-ing? Does it give the bike better acceleration? Or is it basically just something for showing off? If I can successfully not-wheelie, for instance, will I be more successful on a drag strip?

Totally aside - would adapting a saddle for a motorcycle seat be useful? Hmmm...
Wheeling definitely has no advantage on the drag strip, they wanna keep the front down as much as possible. The advantage is that it makes panties drop

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #32 of 36 Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Wheeling definitely has no advantage on the drag strip, they wanna keep the front down as much as possible. The advantage is that it makes panties drop
except hers cuz she'd be the one doing the wheelie

post #33 of 36 Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita

Yes

:buell:
post #34 of 36 Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Yep, could be my problem also, "boney butt"
thats the way i feel about the stock,
yes, i have boney-butt, and its ok

post #35 of 36 Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
except hers cuz she'd be the one doing the wheelie
then she'll be making the sidewalk look like the KOA with all the dudes pitchin tents looking at her wheelying skills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #36 of 36 Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Bringer of Bada$$ery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
then she'll be making the sidewalk look like the KOA with all the dudes pitchin tents looking at her wheelying skills.
Lulzors...

Anyway, I don't need wheelies to make panties drop. Just the inrush of air into the vacuum I leave as I ride past pulls them off. Isn't that what bar-end mirrors are for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode