My Fender "Reducer" mod - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

My Fender "Reducer" mod

Here's some pics of what I did to reduce the size of my fender. I wasn't sure how to deal with the State Inspection sticker, which I believe needs to be just below the license plate in Texas. So here's what I did. I'm not sure how to do a writ-up with pics, so I'll just post the pics in chrono order here:

Before Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0513.JPG (772.4 KB, 162 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

I came up with an idea to reverse the way the LP bracket mounts to the fender, and relocating it to place the plate where I wanted it height-wise. Then I started cutting the fender up. I also cut out the inspection sticker section, and fabbed it with a tab that would bolt up with the bracket to the fender in the new location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0518.JPG (752.3 KB, 90 views)

post #3 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

After trial and error, I finally figured out that the best place to relocate the rubber grommet was 3-1/2" above the braket bolts, but that placed it right over one of the fins behind the fender, so I drilled the 3/8" dia hole 3-3/4" above the braket holes. Of course, this may not be an issue if you decide to place the license plate 1/4" higher than where I placed it. I wanted the LP to be about 1" below the LP light. I also wanted the bottom edge of the LP to line up with the lower edge of the turn signal stems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0530.JPG (743.0 KB, 55 views)

post #4 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

since the Inspection sticker "plate" can be removed, at my next inspection in December, I hope I can have the sticker placed somewhere else on the bike if it's allowed. Then I can get rid of it altogether, but for now it will have to be set up like this. Placing the grommet 3-3/4" above the bracket bolts will place it at the center of the top edge of the LP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0540.JPG (747.2 KB, 68 views)

post #5 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

I'm just now realizing how huge these pics are. I can't seem to attach any more. I'm gonna figure out how to show the final pics. Please wait while I reduce the size of them.

post #6 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Final product pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fender Mod 1.jpg (197.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Fender Mod 2.jpg (176.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Fender Mod 3.jpg (127.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Fender Mod 4.jpg (121.8 KB, 73 views)

post #7 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Last pic. All I gotta do now is smooth out the rough edges and I'm done. I just hope I can place that Inspection sticker somewhere else come December. I think this set-up will still provide some protection from water spraying up my back, while at least reducing the size of the fender. Plus, it cost me nothing but time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fender Mod 5.jpg (251.7 KB, 106 views)

post #8 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Unbannable

Looks good.

post #9 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

FYI, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to have the inspection sticker in a particular place in Texas, just "visible". I've seen some custom cruisers with the sticker on a plate off to the side of the swingarm.

David

post #10 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Hola Como Estas?

Looks good man. I feel your pain about the safety inspection sticker. Here in Hawai'i it is nearly impossible to register a motorcycle that isn't stock, luckily I know a guy who is a motorcycle enthusiast and isn't as strict when inspecting your bike.

post #11 of 25 Old 10-14-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
FYI, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to have the inspection sticker in a particular place in Texas, just "visible". I've seen some custom cruisers with the sticker on a plate off to the side of the swingarm.

David
That's good to know. Nevertheless, I have to save the current one until December when it expires. They're designed to fall apart if I tried to remove it off the surface, so I had to keep it intact on the fender's plastic.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
That's good to know. Nevertheless, I have to save the current one until December when it expires. They're designed to fall apart if I tried to remove it off the surface, so I had to keep it intact on the fender's plastic.
We have two items that need to be displayed, registration and warrant of fitness, both were mounted on the back originally.

I have moved these, one is in a holder attached to the hugger and the other is in a holder on the back of the rear foot peg (both can be seen if you look closely at the rear foot peg)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stickers.jpg (767.7 KB, 61 views)

post #13 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Fender Eliminated for $15

This is what i did with stuff laying around with the ideas from you guys esp DropBear9!!

Thanks

$15 for the turn signals.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ergoneside.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...fendergone.jpg

post #14 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
DropBear 9

Ah... What is it they say about imitation being the best form of flattery??

I'm still keeping an eye out for some cheap clear indicators like those you have AJ.

As for the label situation, I too moved mine from the rear and shifted it down to the hugger mounting point by the chain guard.

Note to Kendog.. this is what we call "displayed" here in Oz mate!
heh heh.. just j/k

What you can't see clearly in the pic is that the label's upside down, but the plod here don't care about that, as long as they can see it.

Rob.. nice work, looks tons better, but I can't help feel that it's a lot of work for little return. Good work with the pics though!
I thought of doing something similar myself, but decided that by simply removing the whole thing, I could still put it back later on if I wanted to... for some strange reason...

post #15 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post
Ah... What is it they say about imitation being the best form of flattery??

I'm still keeping an eye out for some cheap clear indicators like those you have AJ.

I got mine at cycle gear here in the US

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...item=MRX_FM1_G

post #16 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
FYI, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to have the inspection sticker in a particular place in Texas, just "visible".
Not quite true:

TRC ยง548.255.

ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.

(a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.

(b) The department shall:

(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and

(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

I don't know how near "near the license plate" means. It's probably one of those things that cops get to use their "judgement" in determining who gets a ticket.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb919 View Post
Not quite true:

TRC §548.255.

ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.

(a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.

(b) The department shall:

(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and

(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

I don't know how near "near the license plate" means. It's probably one of those things that cops get to use their "judgement" in determining who gets a ticket.
OK, that's what I thought. I remember something like that long ago when I first got my license (I'm talking many many moons ago). It's not that I haven't noticed other bikes on the road with fender eliminators, or choppers with plates on the side, and their inspection stickers not to be seen. I see them all around, but always wondered if they could get ticketed for it at the cop's discretion. I know if cops wanted to be real tough on a driver or rider, they would go out of their way to ticket anything and everything they find to be in violation, and this could be one of those things. It wouldn't be any different than each State requireing and automobile's Inspection sticker to be in a specific location, so the cops know where to look quickly and easily to see if a car's up to date.
Anyway, I guess I could just ask my friend....who's a cop.

He used to drive me around in his cruiser, and at the end of a stretch of road, ask me "OK, Rob, how many violations do you think I saw in the last 5 minutes....." They see violations all the time, but it's just too much trouble to pull every car that has a violation (whether it be Inspection Stickers, cracked windshields, tailights, etc.). I remember he once admitted that how many tickets he writes depends on his mood that particular day.

post #18 of 25 Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 AM

I am trying for the minimalist approach DropBear, so anything I can hide away I will e.g. The sticker on the swing arm, pretty easy to remember the two pressure numbers.... which in my opinion are too high anyway.

Still working on the rear end. Smoked clear alternative tail light arrives tomorrow (thanks to your pictures )

I would like to get the plate up where you have yours, but I have two issues.
1. I ride in the rain and even now I get a lot of crap flicked up on the seat and rear end.
2. Our license plate is wider than yours and will not fit between the pipes.

post #19 of 25 Old 10-16-2006, 02:39 AM
DropBear 9

I understand ok.
One day I'll get around to removing the extraneous stickerage too.
I did remove the "Helmet advisory" from the fuel tank though.

I reckon that smoke lense is gonna look the ducks nuts on your bike!

I too ride in the rain.. Well.. when it does. We're having a bit of a dry spell right now, but I have ridden in the rain with my fender removed like this.

Not too sure I understand why folk have a problem though.
Yes, you do get more crap sprayed up the back of the bike, but who cares?
It's raining...I and the bike are getting wet anyway and everything's throwing crap up, from the cars in front of me, to the bus / truck that I'm passing..

It all comes good next time the bike get's washed.
But then, maybe I'm not as concerned about having a dirty bike now and then.
Just makes it more noticeable when it does get washed!

Oh yeah, that's actually partly why I have the plate on the angle like that. It helps minimise the over spray at least little bit. Certainly moreso than if it was hanging straight down. Plus I think it looks a bit better like that.

I know what you mean about the 'plate though.
One thing we got lucky with here is the relatively small plates we have as standard.
I pity the poor bar-stewards in UK. Man they have some huge plates over there!

post #20 of 25 Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

My mod really wasn't that much work or time. Not even an hour tops if I didn't stop to take pics. I also didn't want the plate too high so I could keep the spray up under control, so the idea was more to clean up the back fender, and not TOTALLY eliminate it. Also, I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it, but many times I come across water on the road from sprinkler systems watering lawns or the grass medians on the street....those really piss me off especially when I had just washed and polished my bike on a nice sunny day . The reason I reversed the stock bracket was to help extend the plate out at an angle to further control the spray, and also give it a more dynamic look than just letting it hang straight down. If you mount the plate through the top holes, it cantilevers the plate out even further.

post #21 of 25 Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
motoxer101

Inspection sticker???? WTF? Sounds like the man trying to keep you down!

post #22 of 25 Old 10-16-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer101 View Post
Inspection sticker???? WTF? Sounds like the man trying to keep you down!
More like I don't want to get an "add-on" ticket for something stupid, should I ever get pulled over. Cops like to add things on once they got you, not that I've been ticketed any time recent, but I do have a good idea about how cops think.

post #23 of 25 Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM

ROB919

I just modded my rear fender in a similar way. My sticker peeled right off and I stuck it on top of the light housing.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Unbannable

Why not put the sticker on the back of your helmet?

post #25 of 25 Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope View Post
ROB919

I just modded my rear fender in a similar way. My sticker peeled right off and I stuck it on top of the light housing.
I couldn't peel mine off. I tried, as you can see the upper right, and lower left corners are peeled up, but it started to fall apart. Maybe I should try a blow dryer on it to heat it up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode