My 919 is going away - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

My 919 is going away

I'm quite sad. I smacked a pothole going around a blind corner, and dropped it on the left side. I thought the damage was fairly minor, but the dealership that did the estimate totalled it up at 3800 dollars... I've been talking to insurance back and forth for a while, and word finally came down friday that they were declaring the bike a total loss. They state the actual cash value at 4650, so after my 250 deductible, they're giving me 4400, plus whatever we settle on for my helmet and jacket. I think that's more than fair, since I only paid 3700 for the bike, 3 years and 20,000 miles ago, and I'm starting to develop transmission troubles. Since I picked up the Ducati, I'm probably going to hold off on getting another bike for the moment, but already miss the 919. There's just something about that bike...

[insert overly political message here]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You can always buy it back from them and fix it yourself. I would almost bet you can do it yourself for nuder $2k. Any pictures?

Spoiler:

post #3 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Le So Cal Troll

what actually is the extent of the damage?

any stuff like a pc3 ur willing to get rid of cheap ???

post #4 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Tirone

It is time to invest in something new and exciting. You are in a buyers market and have received a windfall of sorts. Look ahead and not back. You can take my 2 or not. Whatever you do, know that I am BBQing four awesome T-Bones tomorrow and they are near 1 1/2" thick.

post #5 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Buy a new & exciting bike...AND buy back your 919 to fix up! best of both worlda, you can have your cake AND eat it too!

Hope you didn't get banged up in your unexpected get-off!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 05:25 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

best JUJU on whatever you decide to do

post #7 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 05:44 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Buy a new & exciting bike...AND buy back your 919 to fix up! best of both worlda, you can have your cake AND eat it too!

Hope you didn't get banged up in your unexpected get-off!.
+1, hope you're OK, you could probably buy the bike back from the ins. co. and still have enough for a cool project bike, classic or older dual sport...

post #8 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1, hope you're OK, you could probably buy the bike back from the ins. co. and still have enough for a cool project bike, classic or older dual sport...
I would say just buy a classic and restore it. 86 VFR700F in Red, White, and blue would be my first choice.

Edit: I just have to add I think that is one of the most beautiful semi-modern bikes ever produced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86-vfr700f.jpg (60.1 KB, 18 views)

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingfast View Post
It is time to invest in something new and exciting. You are in a buyers market and have received a windfall of sorts. Look ahead and not back. You can take my 2 or not. Whatever you do, know that I am BBQing four awesome T-Bones tomorrow and they are near 1 1/2" thick.
Quote:

^ This. Look into buying it back. It can be a fun and worthwile ($$ wise) exercise. There's new and exciting bikes on the market, such as the new Z1000.

post #10 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I would say just buy a classic and restore it. 86 VFR700F in Red, White, and blue would be my first choice.

Edit: I just have to add I think that is one of the most beautiful semi-modern bikes ever produced.
nice ride indeed, for the day

post #11 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Majorcool

Sorry to here of your latest misfortune and glad your alright, but if you don't buy the bike back from the insurance company, I'd recommend parting her out. If you do so ... I'd like to bike your seat.
Cheers,
James

post #12 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingfast View Post
Agreed! I picked up a 2001 Ducati 996 in April, and I believe that I'm going to focus my time and efforts(and money!) on that for the time being. Enjoy the T-Bones, I'm going to have to grill out sometime in the near future as well. And agreed on the windfall, the insurance company is giving me(all said and done) about 2K MORE than I would realistically be able to get for my bike, and enough to buy a very nice looking 07 that's on craigslist, with enough left over to make the payments on my Duck for the next year or so.

Quote:

I'm not really interested in buying it back. The bike is getting up there in miles, and was badly abused by the previous owner. I was starting to pay for his mistakes, so it was getting time for the Honda to go away anyways. I've already got the new/exciting taken care of, though. See above! And no, I got away with a slightly sore wrist, and a bruised ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
best JUJU on whatever you decide to do
Thanks! I'm hoping everything works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I could, but as I said above, I'm not really inerested. I'd much rather wait a year or two, then pick up another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post

I have to say you're right. My ex rode a VFR of that vintage, and it was gorgeous, fast, and a blast to ride. Not really what I'm in to, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
^ This. Look into buying it back. It can be a fun and worthwile ($$ wise) exercise. There's new and exciting bikes on the market, such as the new Z1000.
Unfortunately, the ins. company wants significantly more to buy it back than is economically feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorcool View Post
Sorry to here of your latest misfortune and glad your alright, but if you don't buy the bike back from the insurance company, I'd recommend parting her out. If you do so ... I'd like to bike your seat.
Cheers,
James
Can't part it out if I don't buy it back... they might be a little irritated if I were to send them a bike missing half it's bits.

post #13 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Di"zx"en

Take the $$ and dont look back...Unless you find a clean 919 in the future. Salvage bikes are way more headache than they're worth....

That'll work........
post #14 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm cornfused...

Husky, incoming PM

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-02-2010, 01:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It wouldn't happen to have had an OEM windscreen on it would it? I have yet to satisfy my itch for one.

post #16 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
I'm cornfused...

Husky, incoming PM
Incoming PM! Batten the hatches! Man the artillery! You sank my battleship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
It wouldn't happen to have had an OEM windscreen on it would it? I have yet to satisfy my itch for one.
Negative, it was stock except for a bafflectomy, tires, and some other small misc. parts.

post #17 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

don't even look back as you stroll off with the check... YOU my friend made out like a bandit.....

post #18 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Imaginifer

Just some food for thought, my first bike (88 Honda Hawk GT) was stolen. I actually went and got it back after finding it on Craigslist-which is another story-but I came out ~$1200 ahead and all it took as some time tearing it down and taking it to Fedex piece by piece.

post #19 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Glad to read you were'nt seriously injured in your fall. I figure you'll have such a blast on that Ducati you'll soon mostly forget about that 9er. I know after my crash on my 919, I bought my bonnie and now almost 2 yrs later, it has been as dead reliable as any Jap bike I have ever owned.
Well, while it's not nearly as flipping quick as that 9er was, my wife's a hell of lot happier that I'm not making those quick blast up to an indicated 140 any longer. Additionally, by not wearing my tires out as often as I was, I have more jack to spend on guns & ammo! Ya know important stuff.
Good Luck with your Duc

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #20 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Take the money and run! You're getting a great deal. When I totalled my '04 I replaced the salvagable aftermarket parts with OEM parts I found on ebay and Craigslist before insurance hauled it away. I replaced it with an '07 that had been repo'd with 800 miles on the clock.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

post #21 of 26 Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
I figure you'll have such a blast on that Ducati you'll soon mostly forget about that 9er.
It's a different kind of ride, that's for sure... I will say this about the niner, its power is linear. The Ducati, it thrusts you forward, and you feel it. The 919, it's... different. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think there will definitely be another one in my garage, eventually, that's for sure. I'll probably hold off a few years.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Glad it all worked out for you, sounds like best case scenario considering the circumstances.

post #23 of 26 Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

ARRRRRRRRRGH! I CAN NOT WIN.

I worked a 4-midnight shift tonight, driving. Got back to the shop at half past 11, was going to meet a few friends I haven't seen in a while, go for a ride, grab a beer. Instead, I pull into the parking lot, and the Ducati is on its side. It evidently got hit by one of the other employees, and knocked onto it's left side. Mirror is trashed, main side fairing is scuffed pretty good, clutch lever sheared off at the base, turn signal is shattered, passenger peg is bent, upper fairing has deep scuffs, tail section had deep scuffs and a crack, bar end is shot, grip is shot.

Unreal. So help me, work is gonna pay for this one, I can't believe this.

post #24 of 26 Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Get those paint breakers !

post #25 of 26 Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Well damn, that sucks! So sorry, I feel your pain man.

post #26 of 26 Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
ARRRRRRRRRGH! I CAN NOT WIN.

I worked a 4-midnight shift tonight, driving. Got back to the shop at half past 11, was going to meet a few friends I haven't seen in a while, go for a ride, grab a beer. Instead, I pull into the parking lot, and the Ducati is on its side. It evidently got hit by one of the other employees, and knocked onto it's left side. Mirror is trashed, main side fairing is scuffed pretty good, clutch lever sheared off at the base, turn signal is shattered, passenger peg is bent, upper fairing has deep scuffs, tail section had deep scuffs and a crack, bar end is shot, grip is shot.

Unreal. So help me, work is gonna pay for this one, I can't believe this.
This might be a sign from the Big Guy to hold off on riding for awhile. . . Just saying. Good thing work is going to pay for it. That ‘86 Interceptor is looking real good about now. . . . . . .LOL I’m kidding. I know firsthand from a Moto Guzi that Italian bikes are not cheap to fix, I can only imagine what it is going to cost your work to fix that Duc.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode