my 919 dies on me - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Question my 919 dies on me

I have a 07 919 with 3k on it. At an idle, when I apply the front brakes at times, the bike would die (only happens with the front bakes). There is also a ticking sound in middle relay underneath the seat when applying the front brakes. The dealership sevice department have no idea whats wrong. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I have a 07 919 with 3k on it. At an idle, when I apply the front brakes at times, the bike would die (only happens with the front bakes). There is also a ticking sound in middle relay underneath the seat when applying the front brakes. The dealership sevice department have no idea whats wrong. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Where's Rob when you need him?

post #3 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Centurion

Probably won't help but are the two wires to the front master cylinder hooked up? I have not heard of them causing this but know first hand they can cause other electrical grimlins.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Probably won't help but are the two wires to the front master cylinder hooked up? I have not heard of them causing this but know first hand they can cause other electrical grimlins.
I think these wires are for the brake lights. Right?

post #5 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Back in the day

My son had the same problem on his 06 919. Use the search feature using "front brake turns engine off". This should be what you are looking for.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Here is a thread concerning an intermittent fuel pump that will give you a starting point on your problem. Posts #8 and 12 have all the information necessary to get a good start on your problem.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14216
In your case, concentrate on sections one and two of the troubleshooting tests, and add checking the common ground on the Right side of the frame near the rear of the fuel tank, the bank angle sensor connector under the intake snorkel on the opposite side of the frame from the ground, and the integrity of the connections to the battery. One of the most important functions of the battery while the engine is running is to act as a sort of filter for the somewhat electrically noisy charging system, and it "fills in" the output voltage when a sudden large load is applied until the voltage regulator catches up (perfectly normal), such as the sudden four amp load applied when the brake light comes on. Believe it or not, a battery connection may be slightly loose and still enable starting by the sudden load from the starter actually welding the loose connection together temporarily, but when normal vibration breaks these welds the connection isn't good enough to prevent noise from the alternator or load spikes from causing improper operation of the ECU.

From your description of the buzzing noise from the fuel pump relay it sounds like a bad ground or power connection to it.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to post any questions or requests for clarification: that's what we're here for!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I think these wires are for the brake lights. Right?
Yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode