Moving to oregon! - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By theboom
  • 1 Post By Ditch

post #1 of 20 Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
Question Moving to oregon!

Any 919 riders in the portland, ore, vancouver, wa area?

Im moving up there from CA next month. I ride as often as I can I hope I dont lose too many days to weather. Anyway, hope to find some twisty roads to set my sights on when I get there.

Anyway ride through the winter up there?
That One Guy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

It's not the winter. It is the endless RAIN

2004 919 Uranium

post #3 of 20 Old 12-21-2015, 05:26 PM
The Cripple

If you live in the valley area, invest in some QUALITY rain gear and heated gear. They are worth every damn penny!

Also invest in some track days. I highly recommend meeting up with some of the locals and head up to the Ridge. God I miss that track!

Be prepared to have at least 3 or more close calls a week. Idiot drivers abound here and they simply don't care about you or your life. I have less close calls in Phoenix per month than I do per week in Oregon, it's insane.

Did I mention invest in some rain gear?

Tons of Twisties in Oregon! You won't be disappointed. Check out the pnw forum, just be prepared to have a thick skin.

If you need help with where to live Lmk. It's funny you posted this now because I'm in Oregon right now visiting family.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Pilot Road 3 or 4s and you will laugh at wet pavement. It doesn't get snowy/icy much in our upper left corner of the US so if you can handle the damp and the idiot drivers (and the lack of legal lanesplitting) you'll be able to ride 90% of the year.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
post #5 of 20 Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
Pilot Road 3 or 4s and you will laugh at wet pavement. It doesn't get snowy/icy much in our upper left corner of the US so if you can handle the damp and the idiot drivers (and the lack of legal lanesplitting) you'll be able to ride 90% of the year.
+1, although I've had mine corralled for a couple months do to the lack of a trust worth battery

Very true on the idiot cagers bit! I think a lot of it is because most drivers aren't use to seeing bikes for much of the year

:buell:
post #6 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 11:28 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Very true on the idiot cagers bit! I think a lot of it is because most drivers aren't use to seeing bikes for much of the year
Or they are just idiots in general that only think of themselves. Already had 4 close calls yesterday while in Salem, and then got t-boned by an old lady as I was turning left into a parking lot and she was trying to turn left into the street from the lot. Police showed up and stated she was clearly not fit to drive, but didn't take her license.

I hate this state!

post #7 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Sounds like they're trying to become California, drivers here are idiots

Dan
post #8 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Or they are just idiots in general that only think of themselves. Already had 4 close calls yesterday while in Salem, and then got t-boned by an old lady as I was turning left into a parking lot and she was trying to turn left into the street from the lot. Police showed up and stated she was clearly not fit to drive, but didn't take her license.

I hate this state!
You OK? Were you on a bike or in a car?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Sounds like they're trying to become California, drivers here are idiots
We've been heading down that direction for a very long time. I noticed a significant change during the mid/late 90s. The politics are certainly already there.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 12:32 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post

You OK? Were you on a bike or in a car?
Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm ok, was in my folks' car that I borrowed for the duration of my visit. Car is drivable. Got hit by a big ol Mercury. Just a little scratch on that car's front driver's bumper corner. At least $3,000 of damage to the beetle: driver door, b-pillar, quarter panel, and rear fender.

Really glad I wasn't on the bike. That would have trashed my left leg for sure!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-23-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm ok, was in my folks' car that I borrowed for the duration of my visit. Car is drivable. Got hit by a big ol Mercury. Just a little scratch on that car's front driver's bumper corner. At least $3,000 of damage to the beetle: driver door, b-pillar, quarter panel, and rear fender.

Really glad I wasn't on the bike. That would have trashed my left leg for sure!
Damn man, hope you enjoy your holiday despite all that!

post #12 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 12:50 PM
The Instigator

I'm looking at Salem Oregon and have some questions.

Are the good roads wet all the time? Excluding the rainy season?

How many good racetracks are in the area?

How far inland do you have to ride to see the sun?

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #13 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I'm looking at Salem Oregon and have some questions.
Cool, grew up in Stayton which is about 20 minutes east of Salem which makes Salem essentially my back yard. Went to school there. Worked there, etc. Where you work in Salem will determine where you will want to live. There are a lot of good places but some bad places due to drugs. Neighborhood, or traffic access. Feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can!

Quote:
Are the good roads wet all the time? Excluding the rainy season?
Once you get past spring and the scattered rain showers, the roads dry up reliably. But it's the valley in Oregon, you'll learn to either gear up appropriately, pay close attention to forecasts, pay attention to the locals/clouds, or you'll get wet and road conditions will be the least of your worries lol. Invest in gear for each season, if you haven't yet.

Quote:
How many good racetracks are in the area?
In the immediate area? None. But there is PIR in Portland that is easy to get to. That's a really fun, small, high speed track to work on some skills that must tracks don't give you an opportunity to work on. The further north you go, the more tracks there are. Pacific raceways,etc. The Ridge is amazing and worth the overnight/weekend trip! From Salem, you have access to 3 or 4 tracks within 3 hours which is pretty good.

Quote:
How far inland do you have to ride to see the sun?
If you want to see Sun consistently, you're moving to the wrong state. Just telling you that right now lol. No problem during the summers, but during the winter, you would have to go over the cascades and doing that on a bike is not advisable due to snow, ice, etc. It's beautiful here though. One thing I do miss is you can go 15 minutes one direction from Salem and you're on the twisties.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 AM
The Instigator

Thanks that helps alot. I applied for a transfer we'll see what happens.
That One Guy likes this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #15 of 20 Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Scoot

TheBoom and Ditch,

I don't post that much these days, but I'm here in Portland and ride often. Weather is doable, but there are seasonal hazards (rain, leaves, stupid drivers) PM me if you're in town and want to hit some twisties or a track day.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

I'd offer up but I'm more like Sasquatch...very hard to find, some say I don't even exist....

post #17 of 20 Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
TheBoom and Ditch,

I don't post that much these days, but I'm here in Portland and ride often. Weather is doable, but there are seasonal hazards (rain, leaves, stupid drivers) PM me if you're in town and want to hit some twisties or a track day.
Will do thanks for the offer. Ill be hitting town real soon.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
oops hurts

Garage
First taste of Oregon pavement today as the road was dry for a few hours and the temps were in the 50s. Only problem is I dont my way to the twisties around here.
The 919 after only sitting for 2 weeks gave me alot of trouble starting. Eventually I had to give it gas (basically flooded it) and then it started firing.
Never has a 919 do this to me before. When it did start is was pushing smoke out of the cans. That stopped on a restart.

Anyway now that I know cold nights sitting in the garage is not really its thing I will try and start it at least once a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0937.jpg (297.9 KB, 12 views)

post #19 of 20 Old 01-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
First taste of Oregon pavement today as the road was dry for a few hours and the temps were in the 50s. Only problem is I dont my way to the twisties around here.
The 919 after only sitting for 2 weeks gave me alot of trouble starting. Eventually I had to give it gas (basically flooded it) and then it started firing.
Never has a 919 do this to me before. When it did start is was pushing smoke out of the cans. That stopped on a restart.

Anyway now that I know cold nights sitting in the garage is not really its thing I will try and start it at least once a week.
Hey!

Welcome to Oregon!

We'll get you out on the curvy bits soon enough!

Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator may be going south? Are you running a PCIII? I don't usually have any issues getting the 919 fired up at 50 degrees.

Let me know if I can help.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
First taste of Oregon pavement today as the road was dry for a few hours and the temps were in the 50s. Only problem is I dont my way to the twisties around here. The 919 after only sitting for 2 weeks gave me alot of trouble starting. Eventually I had to give it gas (basically flooded it) and then it started firing. Never has a 919 do this to me before. When it did start is was pushing smoke out of the cans. That stopped on a restart. Anyway now that I know cold nights sitting in the garage is not really its thing I will try and start it at least once a week.
Sound like you had it easy, starting the buell the other day was like this....

http://youtu.be/WXzSZVgQwts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode