Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Mouse chewed off my service check connector on my 919

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon316 
#1 ·
After a winter storage a mouse made a nest in the air filter of my 2002 Honda 919 and did some chewing on my wiring harness. I taped up the couple of wires that were chewed but found a brown wire with two silver dots and a green wire with two silver dots chewed clean off and not leading to anything obvious By looking at the wiring diagram it seems they may have went to a service check connector which is now missing in action. I'll try to post a picture of the wiring diagram showing this. I taped these wires off and tried to fire the bike up, but it just cranks with no fire. Do I need to get a replacement service check connector to get the bike to fire up or is something else going on?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The worst! A whole roll of paper towels and spray bottle full of simple green to clean the funk out and the bike still has a vague mouse piss smell. The weather has turned beautiful here in the North and I can't get the bike to fire. Infuriating how big a mess those little pests can make.

#4 ·
Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned on? If not it is likely mice got at other wires, particularly the Pink wire initialization signal from the ignition switch to the ECU, and / or the Black / White or Brown wires at the fuel cut relay, which powers up the fuel pump. Naturally you're going to have to check all the wires under the seat, and anywhere else the rodents can get at them. They are very good at getting into places you might not expect.

Of course check all the fuses as well.

Good luck.

Rob.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply Rob. I did check all the fuses and all of the wiring harness under the seat and I split the loom back quite a bit to inspect everything, but it might be time to dig deeper. It does sound like the fuel pump is priming when I turn the key on. The only other thing that got chewed on (that I can see) was the turn signal relay. I taped it up where it had been chewed on and ordered a new one.

There is a little blue corrosion on the connectors for the fuel injection and ignition control modules so I am gonna give them a scrub with and old tooth brush and see if that helps.

#6 ·
Are you getting spark? The wires to the coils are right out there in front of god and everybody, and given that mice are very resourceful at finding that one place that chewed wires will be hardest to find, that's where the problem may be.

Or not. Sigh.

Good luck!

Oh, and when you're finished cleaning the ECU contacts apply a goodly amount of dielectric grease to the pins then plug them in. That in and of itself may cure the problem.

Geez ... one more thing. Sometimes after a long bout of inactivity the engine may flood and refuse to start. The best way to test this is by opening the throttle completely, then try to start it. The combination of cranking and the wide open throttle tell the ECU to go into what is called "dechoke" mode where the fuel is cut and the large amount of air circulating through the cylinders clears them enough to allow the engine to start. If it does keep it around 3,000 rpm for a while to help clean the plugs.

I think that's it.

Rob

Reactions: Islandboy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.