More Power Commander ignorance, etc... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

More Power Commander ignorance, etc...

Hey thanks for all your continuing help with answering simple questions, y'all.

I was just wondering, as I took my bike home from it's service last night.. whether the PC will reduce the amount of driveline lash on that touchy throttle. Maybe it eases the stop of fuel delivery when you decelerate?

Its possible I am not riding in tune with the bike yet, but it seems to me there is quite a bit of lash on the 919...

*also, should I be concerned about a significantly shorter reach on my hand brake? When I took it in the stock hydraulics had plenty of meat to grab onto, and now it feels as though they may have lessened the fluid level, as the reach seems to be shorter and the brake response a little squishier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 AM

I think you just need to get in sync with the bike. PC is not going to do much for that. It may help you learn the predictability of the throttle, which might help just because it smooths things out. Trust me, if you get the satos and the pcIII and you get the proper map with the accelerator pump figured out, it will be like the bike is intrinsically attached to your wrist muscles with nothing in between. I just settled on a perfect map and did the accelerator pump yesterday. I have been riding this bike for over a year and last night was the reincarnation. It has a pull in the ass that just keeps comin.

The "lash" is because it is a fuel injected bike with a big engine, good throttle response, and most importantly, torque. Just get used to the bikes little quirks, which they all have. Once you know the on and off positions well, you will be able to anticipate all her moves.

Listen, the best advice anyone is going to give you is the following:
1. GET THE SATOS
2. GET THE PCIII
3. MESS AROUND WITH THE MAPPING
4. most importantly, RIDE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

Did I mention, you should get the pcIII...?

post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 AM

Oh, and as for the brakes. If they actually feel "squishier" that is not good. If they just adjusted the cable, that is fine. Make sure your fluid is full. If it is squishier, you should try to bleed the brakes a little to be sure there is no air in the lines. You could go and ask the dealership if they fiddled with them at all. I would do something, because you do not want air in those lines. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, bring it back to the dealership. I assure you, it is not hard, and it is also not a bad thing to learn how to do. If you need some help, post up or drop me an email and I will give you some instructions. Plenty of members here will be able to do that for you. Good luck.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Touchy throttle >> Might be something as simple as too much free play. I adjust mine so there is just a tad bit of free play. It's a easy adjustment to do at the push-pull throttle cables.

Front brake lever >> Someone might have played around with the brake lever adjuster. Rotate it to move the lever further away from the handle bar

post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... Since the thing is on full warrantee and i purchased a 3 year service plan, I will take full advantage of that for now. In the future I do want to learn this stuff, but right now I have very little time other than to get where I need to go, so I would rather they handle it... Unless it means leaving it off again. I jsut had to wait nearly a week and a half for a replacement ignition unit to come in, and I am not in a rush to leave it off again. I will see how it feels again today, and see if I can solve the prob by adjusting the lever distance.

As far as the PC, I am definitely getting one, just learning about what it is going to do in the meantime.

Thanks for the input!

post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 08:43 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Take the slack out of your throttle cable

Use one of the maps I developed for the 919 they are designed to improve low rpm response & aid in smoother shifting.

Don't be afraid to load the motor up! If you ride around like a grandma & baby the motor then the slop in the driveline is very pronounced because there is a lot of time where the transmission has no load on it & can basically flop around. If you bang your downshifts & keep the motor loaded with either postive or negative inputs then the driveline lash all but dissappears.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Touchy throttle >> Might be something as simple as too much free play. I adjust mine so there is just a tad bit of free play. It's a easy adjustment to do at the push-pull throttle cables.

Front brake lever >> Someone might have played around with the brake lever adjuster. Rotate it to move the lever further away from the handle bar
I was thinking the same thing on both but would like to add this much. The PC has the ability to recalibrate your % of throttle position. Adjust the slack you want with the cables and then recalibrate your throttle position with the PC. Honda's come anywhere from -1% to -3% from the factory. This adds to the cush drive and the throttle slack to cause most of the lag your feeling. Also verify your chain slack.

Did they adjust your brake lever position? 1 should be the furthest reach and 6 should be the closest reach. Check that first. If that's not the issue then call the shop back and have them check for air in the system.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Just to add to this with personal experience. My bike had a pretty touchy throttle out of the showroom. But I simply adjusted the slack in the throttle cable and it was good to go.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode