Monster fairing on my 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Monster fairing on my 919

I have been spending time trying to find a small fairing for the 919, without going all the way and buying the Givi that everyone has. I really don't like the way the fairing looks, and I don't want to put something that large on the front of my bike.

So I was on Zero Gravity's website, and it turns out they make a touring screen for the Ducati Monster fairing. It is just an extended windshield that bolts up into the fairing. I thought that would work pretty well, and probably shield me as well as the Givi fairing. So I started looking for a Monster fairing.

I found one on eBay that somebody had roadrashed in Houston. I picked it up for about $60, shipping included. I figured I could buff out the roadrash and repaint it, since it is bright yellow anyway.

It arrived a couple of days ago, and today I set about installing it on the 919. I thought I could use the mounts from the old windscreen, with just a little adjustment via blowtorch. I decided against that because I didn't want to drill through the fairing.

I ended up cutting the mounts for the Monster off, and buying two 5" pieces of steel (the stuff with holes pre-drilled for patching broken wood) from Home Depot. I drilled a hole in the bottom to fit the mount bolts from the old screen, then proceeded to heating the metal to pound out the proper angle to fit the screen. It took awhile, but I got both pretty close.

I then matched them up to the screen, added some rubber washers and a lockwasher to combat the vibration, and put everything back together. The only problem I have is getting the headlight back on, as you can't install the fairing before the headlight, but if the clamps with the welded nuts inside the headlight fall out of the grooves, you can't install the fairing. That is the only problem that I really had with the whole setup.

The entire project took about three hours, not including running to the store. Here are some pics to this point. Sorry about the last one, I finished up at night, and the pic is a little blurry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0592.JPG (658.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0589.JPG (695.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0595.JPG (627.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0597.JPG (656.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0603.JPG (727.0 KB, 235 views)

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Get that "get'er done" bracket cleand up a little. And youll have the best looking fairing/windscreen ever to be seen on a 9'er. Good choice & great fit.
I like it a lot!
Need more distance shots & different angles. I'd like to see the whole image it now has.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Nice project, lets see it when you get it finished

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #4 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

nice choice, inexpensive too! I chose the monster headlight & fairing for my project Kaw turbo bike.

post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Way to keep it unique, look forward to seeing it finished.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

lets see this done and painted!! can the brackets holding the screen go on the inside of the headlight bracket? Looks the best i've seen other than the brackets. can't wait to see the finished version good job

post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
lets see this done and painted!! can the brackets holding the screen go on the inside of the headlight bracket? Looks the best i've seen other than the brackets. can't wait to see the finished version good job
No, unfortunately the fairing mounts go around the headlight, so putting anything inside the 919 mounts won't work. At least nothing I have available would work. I hope to get some actual sheet metal and build a good, solid looking mount with aftermarket fairing hardware, but for now the Home Depot special will have to work.

I am going to ride with it this week just to make sure there isn't anything I want to change with the position, and hopefully I will get the chance to paint it this weekend. Thanks for all the positive comments!

-Joe
post #8 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Tirone

I had the monster fairing for my old gs500. Very nice setup on the 919.

post #9 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Just an update, I finished with the fairing. The paint looks like a**, but it really doesn't matter as there is a bigger issue with the fairing.

I can understand why Monster owners are upset with the quality of the fairing. Although the mounts I built are bulletproof compared to the mounts Ducati uses, the fairing still vibrates badly at speed, in particular any speed above 35mph! I took the fairing back off and put my Honda OEM back on. At this point I'm sick of working on it. It's nice outside, I'm going riding...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0624.JPG (739.0 KB, 106 views)

-Joe
post #10 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Thats a sad outcome. Bummer.Sorry to hear that. Maybe if you get the urge to play with it again, You can get a fabricator to build up a small tube steel skeleton to give it the support it needs.

post #11 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

I thought about that. I think after I move in a couple of months I should have some more time to mess with it and maybe make it work. My brother body work and painting, so I am thinking about having him paint it to match the bike. But that will be a few months down the road. At least I know it fits...

-Joe
post #12 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Monster garage

I adapted the Monster headlight bracket to my 636 lower triple & was expecting the fairing bracket to go right on but it was a pipe dream. The fairing bracket had to be shortened & mounting plates are being made to fit it.
The gauge housing was made (not by me) from a solid block of 6061 T6 and will be anodised black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-07 026.jpg (75.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 2-07 028.jpg (33.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2-07 029.jpg (45.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg gauges.jpg (62.2 KB, 32 views)

post #13 of 15 Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

I'm not big on shields but If I did install one Id think about this one...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/930/197/

post #14 of 15 Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have the 240 like in the link Simpson posted. Mine is the "Smoke" version. I wouldn't be without it.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I have the 240 like in the link Simpson posted. Mine is the "Smoke" version. I wouldn't be without it.
Let's see a pic!

I like my Givi A755.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode