Missed the deer, hit the armadillo - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Missed the deer, hit the armadillo

OK, so they're 2 seperate incidents but one was tonight on the 919. Went for a late ride tonight out to the country twisties about 40 miles round trip. After reading about Typhoonblue's experience and having a friend damn near total an '04 GSXR600 by hitting deer I had to post this. Riding about 75mph out in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden two deer shoot across the road in front of me, I miss the 2nd one by about 10 feet! I was so surprised that I ran it down to 50mph for approx 5 miles. Then I came to my senses and letter-rip again.

The armadillo, well, that was this past weekend at deer camp on Sat. night.
Our hunt club agreed this year to absorb a smaller club that has 80 acres on the border of our 750 acres. They are 4 pretty cool guys that blend in well with the existing folks we have and make it a round dozen. They still have their base camp separate from our main camp because they've been camping there for several years. After dark me and another guy from our camp decide to ride our ATVs over to the new guy's camp and hang out for a while. Had a great time with lots of food, bull$hit, and spirits. Yeah, I admit it - we rode back to our camp slightly enibriated (sp?). The good thing is that the road leading between our 2 camps is an old railroad line that pulled up the tracks about 20 years ago resulting in a mile long straight shot thru the woods. I'm on my old '84 200s 3 wheeler just cruising along when suddenly an armadillo darts out in front of me, runs back towards the woods, then changes his mind and darts back out in the middle right in front of me. I run over it with the front tire, it pops out behind the tire and bounces off my right leg. Then it goes under the right rear tire and I bump on over him. Was probably going about 25mph. Stopped and looked back to see him spin around a couple of times then dart back out into the woods. Poor little guy - at least the tires were pretty soft. I was kinda freaked out and went on back to camp. My right shin is still painin' me a bit.

Moral of the story - gotta watch out for the night critters no matter where you're riding!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Unbannable

Good story. Better hope that critter doesn't get an injury lawyer.

post #3 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Dave, better to hit him with the three wheeler than with the niner! I miss having a hunting camp. We as recently as 3 years ago had a group that leased a little over 600 acres for about 10years, then the bastages sold out to developers........damn urban developers!

post #4 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've come really close to deer a few times on bikes but never hit one.

I have run over a groundhog that popped out of the woods while cornering pretty hard. Needless to say, it adjusts your line just a wee bit. 9.2 pucker factor.

I also got whacked by a crow on the helmet and shoulder while traveling just a very tiny amount over the speed limit. That one rung my bell pretty good. 9.7 pucker factor.

BTW, aren't armos supposed to be good to eat?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I have run over a groundhog that popped out of the woods while cornering pretty hard. Needless to say, it adjusts your line just a wee bit. 9.2 pucker factor.
That is now a total of 2 WT members who have hit a groundhog. Those suckers are big! Heck of a jolt through the bars when he went under the front tire.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
That is now a total of 2 WT members who have hit a groundhog. Those suckers are big! Heck of a jolt through the bars when he went under the front tire.
Yeah, but I didn't stay around and do to it what you did.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

[QUOTE=HondaJim;52151BTW, aren't armos supposed to be good to eat?[/QUOTE]

That's what a guy at camp said.

Not sure if I want to eat something that resembles an overgrown rolly-polly. I hear they're a popular dish over in Texas tho. If I don't shoot any deer soon, I may have to change my opinion since we sure have a lot of them running around our lease. There's been times when I was up in my stand and start hearing something rustling around in the leaves just out of sight. Start to get the ole adrenalin rush then an armadillo comes wondering into view. Wanted to blast it out of spite for getting me all fired up but just watched it zig-zag on along. Funny little critters.

Oh, yeah, let's not forget that lovely hissing sound they make when cornered. Been walking thru the woods before and stepped really close to or right in the entrance to one of their tunnels. Suddenly there's this loud hissing sound like deflating a tire. That'll make you just about $hit yourself and do the high step!

post #8 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Yeah, but I didn't stay around and do to it what you did.
But did the groundhog see it's shadow?

post #9 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Dave, You are welcome at my house. These deer are so tame you can almost walk up to them and wack one over the head with a baseball bat.
I yell at them to get way from the bird feeder, all they do is stare at me with that dumn look.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Dave, You are welcome at my house. These deer are so tame you can almost walk up to them and wack one over the head with a baseball bat.
I yell at them to get way from the bird feeder, all they do is stare at me with that dumn look.

I'll be over this w/e to thin the herd out for Dave He needs more of a challenge.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
But did the groundhog see it's shadow?
I think it saw the shadow of death :chris:

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #12 of 13 Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
Riding about 75mph out in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden two deer shoot across the road in front of me, I miss the 2nd one by about 10 feet! I was so surprised that I ran it down to 50mph for approx 5 miles. Then I came to my senses and letter-rip again.

Moral of the story - gotta watch out for the night critters no matter where you're riding!
+1 man. I did a solo ride this summer on my 9er out to your neck of the woods (kinda - Bull Shoals/Mountain Home) from here in Portland, OR and couldn't rally my nads to ride at night...for very long anyway. I saw more carcasses and blood stains on that ride than my tour in Iraq! The one time I decided to push a little in to the night - I think it was heading back through the high mountain canyon twistys from Missoula MT to Coeur d'Alene ID - I saw a frickin deer just past the apex of a curve where I couldn't see him right away. Luckily he seemed very content macking some roadside ground score and didn't even flinch as I rode by.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoHoNet View Post
I did a solo ride this summer on my 9er out to your neck of the woods (kinda - Bull Shoals/Mountain Home) from here in Portland, OR
Damn NoPo, Portland to Bull Shoals...and back!? Dude, you get a 10 on the "Respect-O-Meter" in my book. That's a helluva trip. And the area around Bull Shoals is beautiful. Great destination!

On the critter note - the majority of the deer population in AR is mostly between Little Rock and the Louisiana line. They have a much shorter deer hunting season in Northern AR because of the smaller population. Kinda strange.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode