May all deer die and vanish from Earth. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Church of the Holy Smoke

Thumbs down May all deer die and vanish from Earth.

... and any other animal what is so stupid it's first reaction is to bolt which ever direction it happens to be facing at the time it gets scared... and by scared I mean senses movement, however slight in any direction for any reason. That animal must not have enough grey matter to fill a walnut shell.

In case you are wondering why I am so hateful towards soft lovable Bambi.... almost hit the smelly effer about 1 hour ago. Well.. I didn't even come close.. but not cuz of anything I did or the deer did for that matter. Didn't hit it because the dumb effing effer just happened to be facing partially back towards me to my right side but mostly heading off into the shoulder as I came around the corner. It bolted so hard in the direction it was facing it literally peeled out and threw dust and gravel right in front of me. If the deer had been facing 180° different.. it would have landed head first in my headlight. No skill, no reaction time... just dumb sh!t luck. Happened so fast I don't even think Jesus saw it coming!

Bottom line. The last 3 times I have gone up my favorite canyon.. I saw deer next to the road side. This one way too close and now I just don't know where to ride anymore. Granted.. it was 3 a.m. and completely dark.. but I needed to scuff off my new shoes and I was taking it very easy.. I swear

... too to ride like I mean it!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 1

The general rule is for any animal larger than a dog, you aim for their ass because they will only move forward, they don't move backwards.

post #3 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

...and said deer usually run in pairs or more around here. When you see one, there's another waiting to get in your way.

I try not to ride at night around here, but a few weeks back did so. I came over a rise and saw a buck with it's ass pointed toward me. His head came up and swung left, so I point right, and then he bolts right. Re-aim left and pray. Made it by, but it will unnerve you, that's for sure.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 06:33 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I came around a corner day B4 yesterday and looked straight into the eyes of a llama. No lie

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 07:56 AM

Yikes. I think the most I would have to worry about here is a jackrabbit. This sonoran desert is pretty sparse... But I am serious when I wonder if one of those deer whistles carefully hidden (like on the top or bottom of your cooler) might work? If you have a real prob with deer in your area it might be worth a try...

post #6 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Giovanni_919

who has run off a bolted turtle?

I'm glad I havn't and wish never will, but got a kitten before.. it felt really bad especially when someone who likes cat as me..

post #7 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I was leaving on my bike when the neighbors down the road were outside BSing and drinking beer. I guess their rot or pitt bull or something was just in the road, looking at me like I was lunch. I ride with a full helmet, armored jacket, pants, gloves, boots, pretty well a bear proof suit. lol. I was seriously going to slow down, get off, and beat the crap out of the dog. I would have if I would have had my boot knife with me. Or better yet my carry pistol. For all I knew it was a rabid beast, right? Cars on either side of the street, couldn't turn around.... "Sir, I was in fear for my safety, and my life". Don't think John Law would do much about it. The damn neighbors were just kinda laughing about it. Thats what really torqued me off.

post #8 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda Addict

Came over a rise recently and was stunned to see a "push-me-pull-you" standing beside the road.

What the hell do you do in a situation like that!?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike
Came over a rise recently and was stunned to see a "push-me-pull-you" standing beside the road.

Was this Sporty and somebody? I don't get it. Take pics next time and we'll help you sort it out.

Yeah, the people who let their little yap dogs run from the front porch are the worst. You don't know if the little furball is going to stop at some point, or just keep coming. I've put a boot in a few, and it wasn't pretty. I like dogs, and have always owned one myself, but it's the owners I sometimes dislike.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
919 City Pilot

I knew a few riders on HD's to were sent to the after life by Javelina....damn hogs.

It's the darn secret squirrels that scare me at 150MPH............

post #11 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Removed User 1

For the dogs I was thinking of hotglueing a pepper spray to a magnet and just putting it on my gas tank. I will let you know how it works out.
I dont know what to do for the deer on RT287
I will be sure to spray back or to the side so I dont pepper myself.

post #12 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 11:37 PM

just weld up a 4 foot tall razorblade to the triples that sticks out about 2 feet from the front wheel... anything in the way would part like the red sea.

post #13 of 45 Old 05-28-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonblue919
just weld up a 4 foot tall razorblade to the triples that sticks out about 2 feet from the front wheel... anything in the way would part like the red sea.
LOL... Nasty... That's just nasty. It would be a wash in blood and I would wreck from being blinded in RED juices. Then two days later after I get my sh!t fixt and head back up there, the whole place would reek of rotting deer death and that would make me wreck from the retching illness inside my helmet.

Your plan sucks!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #14 of 45 Old 05-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda Addict

How about a miniature version of a train cow-catcher? Made out of some sort of really light alloy but cheaper than titanium (that would be outrageous $).

A friend commented a while back that the 9er looks kinda like something from a Mad Max flic. Remember the "Humungus-mobile" in the Road Warrior. A scaled down version of his cow-catcher would be sweet. Mounted so that it would look like a combination fairing and extension of the front fender.

And if one were to get the angle and curvature just right then no bloodbath!

Beginning immediate quest for "Acme 9er Critter Catcher" aka "ninerous deflectous".

post #15 of 45 Old 05-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda Addict

P.S. Such a device sure would have made quite a difference with my friend who T-boned a deer 2 weeks ago on his '04 GSXR 600. Ripped half of the front body away including the entire headlight assembly and guages, broke the right side panel in half, and sent him sliding down the middle of the road about 30 yards. About 12am and no other traffic around. Small tufts of fur lodged in several crevices left no doubt what it was. He came out of it with a mild concussion and amazingly little road rash. Was back at work in 3 days but still hobbling yesterday.

Hand of God on that one!

post #16 of 45 Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Hey Moto, Trust me when I tell you this. Stop riding at night on that road. It's death in a bottle man. I hit a deer over 15 years ago at 1:00am in the middle of no where. It hurt like $h!t and still gives me problems. You've already seen how fast they really are. What you may not have seen is how tough they are. Hitting that doe at 65mph felt like a brick wall. From then on anything bigger than a squirell gets much respect from me. I slow down to a crawl if I have to.

post #17 of 45 Old 06-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Removed User 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho
LOL... Nasty... That's just nasty. It would be a wash in blood and I would wreck from being blinded in RED juices. Then two days later after I get my sh!t fixt and head back up there, the whole place would reek of rotting deer death and that would make me wreck from the retching illness inside my helmet.

Your plan sucks!

I think its a great idea, you can then use the pieces to decorate.
http://www.strangevehicles.com/image...ent/108480.jpg

post #18 of 45 Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 PM

Whoa. Must be a Canadian thing.

post #19 of 45 Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

post #20 of 45 Old 06-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Immune

Nice.. brrrrrrrrr

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #21 of 45 Old 06-04-2006, 03:21 AM
kevin919

i hit a deer on the highway out of del rio texas on a R1100gs doing about eighty. t-boned him. i was riding at night as it was blazing hot during the (august) day and i'd actually been unaware of the hazards of driving at night. furthermore, one week prior i'd laid the bike down in the rain south of vera cruz and the front subframe assembly had broken so that the headlight hung askew after i tied it back with some nylon webbing...so basically on the highway my headlight merely marked me for oncoming cars but didn't much illuminate my forward path of travel. so i hit this thing that wasn't that big and the bike went into a slide for a bit then i went down sliding and road rashing my arm,hand shoulder, but no broken bones beyond two ribs. I was in hospital in del rio for a few days then when released i went to san antonio bmw dealer where bike'd been towed to check on its condition (it was totalled) and the service guy told me theyd found peices of that deer in the front wheel.

post #22 of 45 Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin919
i hit a deer on the highway out of del rio texas on a R1100gs doing about eighty. t-boned him. i was riding at night as it was blazing hot during the (august) day and i'd actually been unaware of the hazards of driving at night. furthermore, one week prior i'd laid the bike down in the rain south of vera cruz and the front subframe assembly had broken so that the headlight hung askew after i tied it back with some nylon webbing...so basically on the highway my headlight merely marked me for oncoming cars but didn't much illuminate my forward path of travel. so i hit this thing that wasn't that big and the bike went into a slide for a bit then i went down sliding and road rashing my arm,hand shoulder, but no broken bones beyond two ribs. I was in hospital in del rio for a few days then when released i went to san antonio bmw dealer where bike'd been towed to check on its condition (it was totalled) and the service guy told me theyd found peices of that deer in the front wheel.
DAMN.

I guess that was your free pass.

post #23 of 45 Old 06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Immune

Wow.. glad your ok.. that is good story to tell..

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #24 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM

The only answer is a vertically mounted samuri sword, blade out, in front of the headlight. My first year out on my Shadow Tourer I hit a deer at 55mph. Lucky me though the deer wound up dead, I didn't go off, the bike didn't go down and somehow had virtually no damage. Not so lucky last Nov. when a kid backed into traffic and slammed into my left side. He was ticketed. Crushed my foot. MY bike was totaled but the insurance Gods bought me a beautiful 2004 919! Life is good.

post #25 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Welcome aboard Kobela, and glad it was just a foot. You should go to the introduction forums and introduce yourself.

post #26 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Just a personal reminder to all regarding safety and animals. 5 years ago, a co-worker and good friend of mine had bought a dirtbike for his kid for Christmas. On New Year's Day, my friend was riding the dirtbike up the road, heading back toward his house to put up the bike for the night. A neighbor's dog ran out toward him, and when he swerved to avoid it, he lost control, and ended up head first in a concrete pipe culvert. My friend died on the spot.

Don't mess with animals while riding, and don't take unnecessary risks. It only takes a split second for you to get dead.

post #27 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Tirone

This past summer I hit a deer. I was just riding along at 11 at night with beautiful countryside in my headlights and suddenly within a split second this brown thing bolted in front of me. No time to swerve, no time to think. I was riding an '04 SV650S. The deer totaled itself , the bike, and almost had me. I swear that animal was large enough to saddle and ride around.

Being the young fool I am and it having been such a beautiful night out, I didn't wear a jacket. I landed on my right arm and shoulder. The pavement carved a nickel sized chunk outta my elbow, road rash up my arm, and broke my collar bone. The worst part of that was getting the pavement in my skin out with a wire brush and missing the the prime time of riding season.

Luckily I wore a helmet that I put to use, I didn't die, I learned a valuable lesson concerning skin vs leather when touching down on pavement, and the best part of all.....I reevaluated my bike preferences and now have an '02 919 just waiting for spring time.

So my advice concerning deer: try your best to be aware of your surroundings, wear proper riding gear, and be extra cautious if you ride at night. If that doesn't work, cross your fingers and hope fate doesn't have it in for you.

post #28 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMercuryVII View Post
This past summer I hit a deer. I was just riding along at 11 at night with beautiful countryside in my headlights and suddenly within a split second this brown thing bolted in front of me. No time to swerve, no time to think. I was riding an '04 SV650S. The deer totaled itself , the bike, and almost had me. I swear that animal was large enough to saddle and ride around.

Being the young fool I am and it having been such a beautiful night out, I didn't wear a jacket. I landed on my right arm and shoulder. The pavement carved a nickel sized chunk outta my elbow, road rash up my arm, and broke my collar bone. The worst part of that was getting the pavement in my skin out with a wire brush and missing the the prime time of riding season.

Luckily I wore a helmet that I put to use, I didn't die, I learned a valuable lesson concerning skin vs leather when touching down on pavement, and the best part of all.....I reevaluated my bike preferences and now have an '02 919 just waiting for spring time.

So my advice concerning deer: try your best to be aware of your surroundings, wear proper riding gear, and be extra cautious if you ride at night. If that doesn't work, cross your fingers and hope fate doesn't have it in for you.

Great advice RedMercury!! In fact, that's good advice for EVERY ride!
I'm always afraid that the one time I don't totally gear up will be the time I go down. Guess that's why I'm the only old fool out riding at 115+ degrees with a jacket, etc on!
Glad to hear that you made it through the experience...welcome to 9-1-9 ownership!!
If you decide to make any mods, there are plenty of people here to guide you in spending that hard-earned dough...

post #29 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Great advice RedMercury!! In fact, that's good advice for EVERY ride!
I'm always afraid that the one time I don't totally gear up will be the time I go down. Guess that's why I'm the only old fool out riding at 115+ degrees with a jacket, etc on!
I hear ya! I cannot believe the number of people who comment on my wearing a leather jacket leaving work on a really hot day. I need to explain over and over that it beats the hell out of road rash! Some people just don't get it.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
I hear ya! I cannot believe the number of people who comment on my wearing a leather jacket leaving work on a really hot day. I need to explain over and over that it beats the hell out of road rash! Some people just don't get it.
I just ask them to give me a quote on new skin, or one emergency room trip, whichever is cheaper.

Leather jacket - $500.
Sweat - free.
Walking away unscathed - priceless.

post #31 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I just ask them to give me a quote on new skin, or one emergency room trip, whichever is cheaper.

Leather jacket - $500.
Sweat - free.
Walking away unscathed - priceless.
I agree but then they say why ride that hot thing!

post #32 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I agree but then they say why ride that hot thing!
If they have to ask, they won't understand the answer.

post #33 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Unbannable

It's times like that when I'm glad I've done my Pee Wee Herman mod to my 919.

post #34 of 45 Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post

Call the National Enquirer. They will immediately start putting together a "genuine photo"

post #35 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Tired of Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post

I'm glad someone else appreciated razor's push-me-pull-you. I've been laughing so hard I can't see. But then again, it's 4:00am here.

post #36 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...highlight=deer

never even dropped the bike. Deer don't scare me ... I kill them and have a smoke.

although... I HIGHLY recommend not smashing into one.

post #37 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

A squirel jumped up off the road and smacked my boot once.

Or maybe it was a midget baby deer.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #38 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I hit a groundhog once. I was amazed at how easily the bike ran him over, actually. I thought I was clear and the stupid varmint doubled back and ran right in front of me.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #39 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

I've eaten groundhog once, tasty varmint.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #40 of 45 Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Unbannable

I've eaten beaver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode