Maxxis Tires? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 09:30 AM
tomvan72

Maxxis Tires?

Anyone ever try or heard anything about Maxxis SuperMax tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 AM

I've never tried Maxxis tires, but when it comes to tires I prefer not to "test" out tires that are not from the 3 big manufacturers, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Dunlop. History has proven that these tires work well for their intended application.

Testing tires to me is a bit scary. Not saying the Maxxis or Continental tires are not good tires, but I know Michelin and Dunlop build great tires and Bridgestone builds good tires as well.

post #3 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 AM
tomvan72

I kind of feel the same. I havwe ridden plenty of maxxis mtb tires as well as michelin and i love them. I can get some of the Maxxis at a very resonable rate and still wonder if that is what I want to do. I am soo broke right now but at the same time I dont want to get

post #4 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 AM

I feel ya, chech this out:

http://www.accwhse.com/bridgest.htm#Tires%20street

Bridgestone BT10SS

$80 for the front, $100 for the rear. Pretty good deal on decent tires. Good mileage, good sport performance. I had a set on my 98 900RR and they worked out well. Not a tire I would want to push through corners though.

One guy in our group had 12K miles on the rear tire on his F4i.

post #5 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Aren't Maxxis the brand that has colored tires? When I see an AMA team rollin' on red rubber I'll start looking into it.

post #6 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 AM
tomvan72

Ok, The tires have not been proven to me. I don't want a tire for milage either. I just need to save. I know what i want. Money! To buy the right tires. Maxxis is one of my mountain bike sponsors and I can get their tires for maybe free. This is the only reason I would consider. But of course crashing for free would suck.

post #7 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs22
Aren't Maxxis the brand that has colored tires? When I see an AMA team rollin' on red rubber I'll start looking into it.
Not Maxxis, but Tomahawk

http://www.cycletires.com/index2.html

Not sure why anyone would want this, but whatever.

post #8 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
Ok, The tires have not been proven to me. I don't want a tire for milage either. I just need to save. I know what i want. Money! To buy the right tires. Maxxis is one of my mountain bike sponsors and I can get their tires for maybe free. This is the only reason I would consider. But of course crashing for free would suck.
Good choice!!

Just for the record, what is it that you want?

post #9 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
tomvan72

A guy can get the right color to match his extened swingarm on his Busa!

post #10 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
tomvan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by balbrecht
Good choice!!

Just for the record, what is it that you want?
Michelin pilot powers

post #11 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
Michelin pilot powers

Great Tire

post #12 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
tomvan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock
Great Tire
I know. They are tested here in my back yard and I am actually kicking myself for even considering something different. But then again I cant even ride my bike right now because the tires are so bad. Free tires and ride?

post #13 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Michelin pilot powers

My personal favorite for the streets as well.

post #14 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I know. They are tested here in my back yard and I am actually kicking myself for even considering something different. But then again I cant even ride my bike right now because the tires are so bad. Free tires and ride?
Well in that case, go for the free tires and ride it. They may not be as good as pilot powers, but its probably better than the bald ones you got now. Unless you are going to the track and pushing to the 10th degree you should be fine.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 11:02 AM
tomvan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73
Well in that case, go for the free tires and ride it. They may not be as good as pilot powers, but its probably better than the bald ones you got now. Unless you are going to the track and pushing to the 10th degree you should be fine.
This is what I am guessing. I was trying to ride with Lord Caff. the other day and had to go home with tail between legs. I think I want to try them since the price is right, but I dont want to rish my health over $250.

post #16 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
DropBear 9

Just my 2c..
(I'm starting to think that should be my user name by now)

If money's tight, and let's be honest, isn't it usually for most of us anyway, then compromise is often in order.

If you can get free (or at least cheap) rubber, and the choice is this or no riding, then what's the problem?
A free new tyre from a known manufacturer will beat a balding, canvass showing tyre from one of the big three every time. At least for regular street use.

Ask yourself, are you planning on riding at 10/10ths in tricky conditions trying to get the elbow down? or just going for the occasional blip around the local twisties and doing a bit of commuting?

As long as you keep in mind that the rubber you're on is not premium grade race track stuff, and as long as you take it relatively easy while you "feel" the new tire out, you should have little to be concerned about if you're an even half competent rider.

It's up to you, and how you ride.
It's pretty common knowledge that putting on brand new rubber *any brand* and trying to go straight out and start scraping the pegs is a recipe for disaster. Just use the same common sense with an "unknown" brand and who know's, you might just find that this brand works better for you anyway.
(though pilot powers do take some beating IMHO)
In any case, if you are prepared to forego the knee dragging, you'll still be able to get around a lot more safely than you could with knackered tires while saving for the rubber you really want.

For what it's worth, Maxxis don't make complete crap nor do Continental so it's not like they're going to just shred on you for no good reason.* Lot's of bikes run on these tires or they wouldn't be manufacturing them.
*That good reason being trying to run as hard as you might with a better quality, more expensive tire.
Their tires may not be as good as the others but it's not like their just going to explode or fall to bits like something made by say, "Super Lucky Golden Dragon "or "Cleatus' Round Rubbers"

All you have to do is remember that you get's what you pays for and ride accordingly. Then when you've got the cash, go and get the rubber you really want / deserve.

Stay upright dude!

post #17 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM

I'd ride more conservatively if it meant free tires.

and there is at least 1 reason to go for the colored tires:

they work like a giant pencil eraser during circle burnouts - they actually leave the pavement more or less clean, and scrub old black marks up. Looks kind of neat when you see it, but after that the fun is over and you're stuck with ugly tires.

post #18 of 31 Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I always thought Continental was a reputable manufacturer. I remember way back when that Conti Sports were well regarded for street tires. When I think of cheap tires, I think of Cheng Shin.

post #19 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 AM

maxxis supermaxx... are actually a way better tire than they are given credit for. I use bt014 front and bt020 rear on my 919 but I ride with a guy that has the supermaxx on his 636 cause he has a tendancy to participate in the "hey guys watch this" burnouts and chews up 2-3 rears a season... anyways he just put a new set on three weeks ago and once they were scuffed in I rode the bike and was MORE than impressed, The contour seemed to be very balanced and the grip (mind you it was 85 degrees) was as good as could be expected. Can't say how they wear cause he burns em up pretty quick but I wouldn't hesitate to call them a good tire.

post #20 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Michelin pilot powers
I can get them at my local shop for $200 a set. You would have to meet me somewhere to pick them up though. I have to go to the shop for some numbers today. I will let you know if they still have some.

post #21 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 AM
tomvan72

Thanks all for the comments. I am going to give them a try and let you know what happens. I will not be commuting on them just riding the heck out of them here in the mountains.

James, I might still hit youup for a $200 set of P.P.'s!!

post #22 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 AM
lordcaffeine

Quote:
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to give them a try and let you know what happens. I will not be commuting on them just riding the heck out of them here in the mountains.

James, I might still hit youup for a $200 set of P.P.'s!!
DO IT!

post #23 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600RidgeRunner
I can get them at my local shop for $200 a set. You would have to meet me somewhere to pick them up though. I have to go to the shop for some numbers today. I will let you know if they still have some.

Are you serious? $200 for a set of PP's?!?

post #24 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

plus tax, yepper. That price is for a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear. It goes up to $220 I think for a 190/50 rear.

post #25 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600RidgeRunner
plus tax, yepper. That price is for a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear. It goes up to $220 I think for a 190/50 rear.

Holy crap! Cheapest I've found for the rear alone is $138 shipped from Ron Ayers and locally $144........I hate getting ripped off

Soory about the thread jack TomVan

post #26 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:19 AM
tomvan72

No worries!!

post #27 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Centurion

I was able to get a set of (180 rear) Pilot Powers for $250 including tax, mounting & balancing (brought my wheels in). Local race shop.

post #28 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
tomvan72

I just won a bet and some $$$$ and ordered Pilot powers!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHa!!!!!!!
HAHAHA!!!!!!

post #29 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
tomvan72

They were really affordable!!

post #30 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
DropBear 9

ha ha ha..
Nice won!
Now you just gotta hope you don't get a puncture with less than 2000 mles on 'em.

post #31 of 31 Old 06-20-2006, 06:16 PM
christian81

I always thought it was the big 6 manufactures. I don't even think metzler sells any less tires. Then your, "big 3" They are popular in europe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode