Max safe highway RPM - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Max safe highway RPM

I just joined the 919 club with a very clean 04 model bike. I sold my motard because I ride to much highway but love the naked feel.

I love the bike so far and have a 17t front on the way.

I have searched alot on the site and there is a ton of good info here but i have not found what i am looking for.

So what is the max RPM you would run you bike for a 150 mile trip on the interstate and not have any concerns about the engine?

i just did the trip with stock gearing at 5000-5500 RPM.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i would have no problem running my bike at about 8-9k for 500 miles. well beside the crappy gas mileage. wont hurt motor though

post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

As long as the engine isn't in the break in period you should be good to go.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I have read everywhere this motor is bulletproof. I guess I will just have to test it!

post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I went down one on the front sprocket and ended up on the interstate yesterday and did 120 mile trip home. I was in a hurry to make it to work on time and was averaging 115mph the lowest i saw on the interstate was 95. the high being max speed when i got pissed off at a stupid cage that thought it was fast. I don't remember my exact RPMs but it was well over 6,500 on average id have to guess closer 7,500 RPMs

post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
I went down one on the front sprocket and ended up on the interstate yesterday and did 120 mile trip home. I was in a hurry to make it to work on time and was averaging 115mph the lowest i saw on the interstate was 95. the high being max speed when i got pissed off at a stupid cage that thought it was fast.
Ah, the voice of the reasonable rider.

j-ville-stang:
No need to test it. From the number of blown up 919 motors I've read about on this and several other forums (that's zero, by the way), when they say it's bulletproof you can most certainly believe it, and testing it is more likely to get you into an accident, arrested, or otherwise noticed by all the wrong sorts for all the wrong reasons. In answer to your question my '02 serves as a 105 mile a day commuter with stock gearing and spends much of that time at 5,000 rpm and a little more. From the feedback from the motor I'd say it's yawning at that speed. Just keep the oil changed and stay on top of the general maintenance items and it will last long enough to put in your will, that is if gasoline is still available.

Habitually riding like zookmor claims (and I absloutely believe him) and the odds are within a year the perfectly fine motor will reside in a thoroughly trashed bike. Trust me on this -- I've seen it literally hundreds of times.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

redline?

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

dirty crime?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I keep my hard riding on the track or in the trees!

what i ment by testing it was I expect to put a very large number of miles on this bike so we will see how long she will go.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Aquilifer

i'm drag racing mine with one hurt cylinder: known cylinder wall damage, low compression, and maybe more. i'm running an alleged 65-70 shot of wet nitrous, and last weekend i ran my quickest run ever, after 4 years of drag racing this bike. motor's never been touched. 2 consecutive years i drag raced each season on the same oil all year.

i believe the answer to your question is,
"bouncing off the rev limiter"

post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

BMW says 75% of redline for 12 hours.
If you tried that in La, you'd be dead after the 5th deer, 6th cell phone teen, and 3rd log truck. And that doesn't even count the guy that was drunk driving the riding mower down town.

[
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

So the consensus is, no matter what your gearing is, you can still ride well above highway speeds indefinitely with about zero ill effects. Word.

Be safe, and remember when it gets hot outside, more and more cagers will start to get unruly. They start to get hot and uncomfortable, so they drive faster and more erratic. More people trying to save gas by not using AC too, so I think it'll be even worse this year.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Discen

i am with the others, no harm. honda knows the average speed of the interstate system in the united states and would not produce a bike that was uncapable to safely travel at those speeds. nor produce a bike that won't last long doing so. just crank it up and enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode