Map Quest & Garmin GPS - creating routes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Map Quest & Garmin GPS - creating routes

Just received a gamin GPS for Christmas and wanted to share my findings.... In case you haven't heard, Garmin has been working with Google Maps and AOL's Map Quest to make transferring information between the computer and GPS easier.

For a while now.....I've wanted to create a route on Google maps, hit a button, and run the route on my bike with the GPS guiding......

So far......I've had to purchase 2 different Garmins and switch from Google maps to Map Quest to get it to work......

In terms of what GPS/Garmin to buy......you need a Garmin that will let you create your own Routes. Not all do so.......I've found the 600,700, and the newer 1300 and 1400 series to support this. FYI - first time around I purchased the Garmin Nuvi 255w for $90 at Target......it did not support Routing. I ended up with a Nuvi 1300 series for $189.

The second thing you need to do is to register your Garmin via the Garmin website.....and to download and install their Garmin Communicator Plug-in software program. This will enable Google Maps and Map Quest to send info directly to the Garmin.

Both Google Maps and Map Quest will let you create your own Routes.....only Map Quest will let you then transfer that Route to your Garmin. Google Maps will only transfer Points of Interest and a start/end destination.

So..........connect your GPS (with the communicator driver installed).....log on to MapQuest.....set a start and end point.....within the map Drag new points to create your own special route......once done click SEND TO at the top.....check GPS, your unit model number will pop up......select Send Route...... Do the transfer.

From there.....disconnect, put on the bike.....and run your secret set of twisties with turn by turn guidance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Tirone

Thanks a bunch for posting this. I've been looking for a way to make routes for my nuvi 750 forever. I tried this and it worked perfectly. At least I was able to create and load a route. It's snowing today so I'm gonna wait a bit to see it the route actually works or not.

post #3 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Arctic,

Thanks for the excellent info!

GPS is essential for driving in Europe. I found out this year, Cell phone GPS are a bad idea there, since international data coverage is $1/MB with prepaid *prorated* data, and a robbery of 5/MB when not prepaid! I need a GPS that allows a Europe chip upgrade and then turn of the data plan while traveling.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Been having a blast putting in all my favorite roads......

---- Route 60, Madison/Saux City, WI....which follows the Wisconsin river to the Mississippi.

---- Triple Nickle (route 555)....route south of Columbus Ohio....

---- All my favorite Deals Gap routes.....Robbinsville to Highlands, Robbinsville to Telico Plains, Robbinsville to Helen, GA.......

post #5 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Just a heads up........there are several 1300 series Garmins that don't support routing. (check on the side of the box)

I mis-spoke above.....I purchased a Garmin 1450 LMT....

I didn't realize this.....some models come with a lifetime of free map upgrades......others come with what you get and you have to pay around $80 a year to upgrade.....the LMT stands for lifetime MAPs and TRAFFIC.

More food for thought.......Ram Mounts does in fact make motorcycle mounts for just about every model/shape. So.....rest assured there is a nice motorcycle mount for your model. Paid around $40 for the 1450 off their website.

post #6 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Tirone

Helen, GA... Best damned Reuben sandwich I've ever tasted. I'd go to Helen and back for another one!

post #7 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Nice working explaining their confusing marketing decipher.

For solo adventures a GPS tracker or sat alert would be good.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Heres a look at my new cockpit.....

Picked up some SW-motech 25mm handlebar risers for my Renthal UL's, added an extra MRA Road sheild on top of my Honda flyscreen for better wind-protection, and just received the Ram Mount for my Garmin....... I'll be running the Garmin off my cigarette lighter adapter.

The Ram Mount consists of the Garmin 1400 Series plate & ball, a short dual ball adapter (in the middle), and a single ball handlebar mount for a 7/8" bar. All three pieces came to around $40 + shipping....

Should be good to go for my 12 hour trip to Deal's Gap this spring.....

post #9 of 20 Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Coolness. I picked up a Garmin 76CX on sale for $180 from West Marine earlier this year--it's been really handy for finding places and creating tracks in remote areas.

On my DR650 I have a bar-mounted U-bolt and Ram ball; on the 919 I use a Ram mount on a clutch-perch-mounted Ram ball attached to the 76CX's cradle. Worked great for my annual Death Valley trip back in October, and is surprisingly handy for finding meetings/unfamiliar work sites/etc.

It doesn't, sadly, support the Garmin Communicator plug-in, so I have to use the old-school clunky method, detailed here...
http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Also, GPSXchange.com is a fine site for swapping GPS tracks, if that sort of thing interests you.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Nice! I like large display GPS When it rains, put it in your pocket. Have fun!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

+1

.......for $600 you can get the motorcycle waterproof version....for $180 and to save $400......I'll pull over and put it in a plastic baggie....

post #12 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Waterproof is ridiculously expensive. That savings will cover your Alaska trip.

Yesterday, leveraged my wife's cell GPS map to get up the hill boarding. The traffic/maps/Points Of Interest are excellent. But not good for a bike, since it requires a full stop and gloves off.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Was tempted to mount my iPhone.....didn't take long before I realized the screen & street names were to small to read at speed......

post #14 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I love it. Looks really good. I great Idea for my father-in-law's Aprillia adventure bike. Is there a thread about the cigarette lighter mod? Might need to get him and myself one of those.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Several companies are making cirgarette lighter adapters that work with the 919...... SW-Motech makes a nice one. Wouldn't even be surprised if you could whip one up from parts via. an Auto Parts store. Power is available either by running the socket wire back to the battery w/ a fuse, or taking power from the front headlight lead.

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH flush-mount 12-volt Cigarette-style socket with fused battery hookup harness - CPA.00.006.103

post #16 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Tirone

Be careful to check your routes once you get them loaded to you GPS. I made a couple of routes yesterday with MapQuest and after I loaded them to my GPS, they were totally different. The GPS doesn't do the turn by turn like I had set it up in MapQuest. Rather, the Garmin rerouted everything more direct. So I had to redo them adding multiple waypoints. In MapQuest you need to click on each point and choose "set as stop point" or something like that. It can be pretty frustrating getting the routes to come out exactly the way you want them. Just make sure you check them on your GPS before heading out!

post #17 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Tirone

Check out my GPS mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guages front resized.jpg (216.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gps mount resized.jpg (227.1 KB, 6 views)

post #18 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoslice View Post
So I had to redo them adding multiple waypoints. In MapQuest you need to click on each point and choose "set as stop point" or something like that. It can be pretty frustrating getting the routes to come out exactly the way you want them. Just make sure you check them on your GPS before heading out!
I've noticed the same thing. You're basically only transfering the points....then the GPS connects the dots..... With my GPS, theres also a limit to the number of waypoints you can transfer over. Haven't quite figured out the exact number, but its around 12-15 points.

Either way, Its still WAY beyond what I've had in the past....

post #19 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoslice View Post
Check out my GPS mount.
Looks great! What about bugs?

post #20 of 20 Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Looks great! What about bugs?
Don't know yet. Still too cold for 'em. I'm more worried about rain than bugs. I tested the whole thing out today and it was great. It's a Nuvi 750 (about $100 at some online retailer about a year ago) and it has an MP3 player plus a headphone jack. So I ran my headphones directly into the GPS. I had music for the ride and when a turn came up, the music automatically muted and I heard the turn information. I really didn't even need to look at the GPS. I'll get a baggie for the rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode