making my 919 mine - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

making my 919 mine

Joined WT a few months ago after deciding to buy a 919. At 54 some old injuries started to make riding my CBR600RR too painful. AFter doing a lot of research, much of it on this site, I started looking, and found, a stock 07 919 with 3K original miles. Although I loved the bike from day 1 I was used to the handling of a sport bike so I made some changes that really improved the bike. I quickly added a OEM shield that I bought on this site and installed T-Rex frame sliders (through the frame thanks to advice on this site) as well as decent rubber (Bridgestone S-20 Evos) and a rear carrier to get my lap top to and from work. I was happy with the bike except for the spongy suspension and handlebars that still aggravated my neck and back. I took the rear shock and forks to KB5, a local and respected suspension guru and asked him to re-valve and re-spring the bike to get it as close to my CBR600RR as possible. He got it right the first time and with a few minor adjustments the bike behaves really well on the twisties. My last issue was coming up with handlebars. I read lots of good reviews on the Renthals but really like the classic look of the 919 with chrome handlebars as it reminds me of a mix or retro and modern. I did some looking and found that the handlebars for the 2014 Honda CB1100 looked like they would fit and increase both rise and width. I ordered some and they fit perfectly. Even the pre-drilled holes for the instruments were spot on. Since putting them on it improved my riding position 100%. I took a 300 mile ride last weekend with no pain which is really unusual. I've included a couple of photos. Thanks all for helping me find a bike that really works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1603.jpg (188.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1604.jpg (183.1 KB, 52 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louatlvc View Post
Joined WT a few months ago after deciding to buy a 919. At 54 some old injuries started to make riding my CBR600RR too painful. AFter doing a lot of research, much of it on this site, I started looking, and found, a stock 07 919 with 3K original miles. Although I loved the bike from day 1 I was used to the handling of a sport bike so I made some changes that really improved the bike. I quickly added a OEM shield that I bought on this site and installed T-Rex frame sliders (through the frame thanks to advice on this site) as well as decent rubber (Bridgestone S-20 Evos) and a rear carrier to get my lap top to and from work. I was happy with the bike except for the spongy suspension and handlebars that still aggravated my neck and back. I took the rear shock and forks to KB5, a local and respected suspension guru and asked him to re-valve and re-spring the bike to get it as close to my CBR600RR as possible. He got it right the first time and with a few minor adjustments the bike behaves really well on the twisties. My last issue was coming up with handlebars. I read lots of good reviews on the Renthals but really like the classic look of the 919 with chrome handlebars as it reminds me of a mix or retro and modern. I did some looking and found that the handlebars for the 2014 Honda CB1100 looked like they would fit and increase both rise and width. I ordered some and they fit perfectly. Even the pre-drilled holes for the instruments were spot on. Since putting them on it improved my riding position 100%. I took a 300 mile ride last weekend with no pain which is really unusual. I've included a couple of photos. Thanks all for helping me find a bike that really works for me.
That's awesome! I'm glad to hear you found your mate. Enjoy the new toy

post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
Congrats on the new ride! I bought my 04' 5 weeks ago and love it. Just did a handlebar swap this week and like it even more now. Such a fun bike. I was debating going with a cruiser but after trying the 919 it was no contest. Happy riding!

- 2004 Honda 919
post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Nice setup Lou! Glad the forum helped you in your decision...

Did you have to get extended cables for those bars? Your wires and clutch cable look REALLY stretched - I'd be a bit worried about that.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks. Throttle and clutch had to be re routed but work fine through entire range. I would not want to go any tighter but no problems. The brake line was a bit tight so I relaxed it by removing the screw that holds the bracket to the lower triple tree where the brake line splits. I'm planning to install SS lines soon.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Robert

Garage
I'd get a longer stainless brake hose and clutch cable. Other than that, looks great.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Robert

Garage
If it's just the wires, try re-routing them.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode