Magnetic Tank Bags - Good or Bad? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Question Magnetic Tank Bags - Good or Bad?

I'm looing to get a small-ish tank bag to use while commuting. I like the Nelson rigs but not sure if I should go magnetic or straps. I've got the 06 919 with the candy red metalic paint. Read somewhere that magnetic bags could damage the metalic paint. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Any other suggestions for a simple gear bag? I usually don't like backpacks (did that all through college) as they are typically uncomfortable with the riding jacket.

Thanks

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I have a Joe Rocket magnetic. The underside of most magnetic bags is covered with a very soft material that doesn't seem to scratch. I would rather have a magnetic bag for a lot of reasons, but one is it doesn't move around like the strap on ones, therefore less chance of scratches. The straps also become another point of scratch/rub wear. The Nelson Riggs look like pretty nice bags. Get one that expands if you can.
I fear backpacks because of the risk of spinal injury in a getoff.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Tirone

I have a Frank Thomas expandable magnetic tank bag for my 919. I've had to catch it several times under my arm while riding. I never had any problem with it on my F4, but it seems that the wind can get up under it. I have a Buell wind screen that I haven't installed yet, but I don't think it will help because the wind comes from underneath, not over the instrument cluster.

I shoould note that the magnets are strong, and the times the bag detached, it was empty and I was riding relatively fast.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Good point, I run mine on the 9er with a Givi windscreen. It's been as high as GPS clocked at 137 and didn't move, but naked could be a different story. It's got 6 hearty magnets that secure it. It came with a strap on the front to connect to the upper triple tree, but I cut if off. Might want to make sure you have at least one strap if your going to run without a windscreen.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Tirone

I have a couple of extra small bungee cords that I'll try out to keep the front of the bag from lifting next time I'm out riding. Another point, when your tank is freshly waxed and the bag has some weight in it, it will slide around.

post #6 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i use the smaller nelsonriggs mag bag that still has a map case on my 9er.Iv'e never had it move.It does expand and will hold two 2-liters of coke plus a few small odd and ends (wallet etc..).

If you carry a lot of eletric items I'd get a strapped one.

Oh one more thing the scratches are from stuff the mags pick up(like metal shavings from work!)

post #7 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I've got a nice magnetic bag I used and never had an issue with it... even when fully loaded.

Never used it naked though... I tend to wear full gear when riding.

As for a comparison to strap bags.... the straps will scratch your paint up from rubbing.

Go with the MAGNETS!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #8 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

marsee....the mutt's nutts

thing about magnetic bags, you have to be certain to check the magnets (even those w/ ample backing) to make sure they haven't picked up any debris...

remove the bag at say, something like a fuel stop...put it on the ground, pick it back up later and a little piece of metal something was attracted to the magnet, you didn't notice it, now it sits between tank and the bag for the next trip....scratchin it up

can happen w/ strapped bags too, but the magnetic ones attract little bits all the time

post #9 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thanks for the inputs... I'm still thiniking about picking up a Givi windshield so that should help prevent any blow offs. I've also seen a web page where they suggested puting that rubber toolbox padding down under the bag as a way to reduce the likelyhood of scratches... but I assume it would increase the possibility of getting blown off. I definitely prefer the idea of magnets as it just seems like a much simpler design.

Nobody mentioned anything about metalic paint. Is the 06 the only year with metalic? Just wondering.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

I run with a cheap Tour Master mag bag. It has blown off twice at speeds above 85 MPH and I caught it both times. I think I was just hitting the wind at the freak angle to cause the lift. Anyway, It's got lots of room inside and expands. Has map pouch and a mesh pocket on back for keys or cell phone or whatever. As far as scratches... I have the Matte Black '03 and it hides scratching very well, so even though I know there are scratches there.. they are virtually invisible unless you get in the correct light. If I had gloss paint, I would consider that clear film made by 3M to put in strategic locations. Also consider a tank cover made by Targa. It doesn't cover where a tang bag sits.. but it sure protects the back of the tank nicely. I have a spare I'd sell for $15 + shipping. They go for over $30 new. It is 2 years old but looks as new as the day I bought it and is already formed its shape nicely to the 919 tank. I replaced with a CF look one to match my seat better.

Here is a pic of the tank cover. Anyone interested can PM me.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #11 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I run Naked with a Magnetic tank bag almost all the time. I do have the front strap attached around the head stem, but i have never had any trouble with it. I have a friend with a Duc that wraps his tank with saran wrap before he puts on his bag to keep it from scratching. the old guy rides like the wind and i've never seen him have trouble with his bag, and i don't think he has any straps at all. the only problem anyone in our group has has is with the Map pouch getting blown off. if you get just the right cross wind or what ever.

The 919 having no storage, your going to need some place to stash your rain gear, a tank bag is a good choice.

post #12 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I've been using a Honda magnetic tank bag for years. It could withstand a tornado and not come loose. Ultra powerful magnets. If your really anal about scratching the tank you can place a piece of that synthetic rubber kitchen drawer liner between the tank and the bag. It's not needed but whatever makes you feel safe from potential scratches then go ahead and use it.

post #13 of 25 Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 PM

I'm always careful to place my tank bag upside down if I lay it down on anything... I'm sure it still picks up some debris, but so far my tank is scratch-free (from the tank bag, at least).

First post here, by the way

post #14 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 07:12 AM
kevin919

i use a marsee expandable magnetic tank bag on my 03 919 and it has never been anything but rock solid even at high speeds. It has scratched the tank somewhat over time but this is my constant travel companion for anything i have to carry; a few scratches are acceptable in my daily use of the bike.

post #15 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

here's a picture of my bike loaded

post #16 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thanks All,
Looks like I'll pick up a magnetic bag. I like the layout of the Nelson Rigg bags. I don't need a lot of storage space so the expandable looks like a good mix of functionality and size. Their CL-300 or CL-350 look pretty decent.

Again... appreciate the feedback.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

After keeping my 1984 Nighthawk spotless for years, I purchased a Nelson-Riggs #CL-300 magnetic tank bag last year. I used the bag for a while without any problems, but during a trip to Deal's Gap I noticed that the magnet pads were leaving marks in the paint that matched the texture of the pads. I'm not sure if this was caused by the strength of the magnets or the heat from the sun softening the paint, but they were permanent. On the positive side, I sold my Nighthawk and picked up my new '06 919 yesterday. What a rush!! Back on subject- Based on my experiences, the magnetic tank bag won't be touching that beautiful candy red paint anytime soon!

post #18 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor
After keeping my 1984 Nighthawk spotless for years, ........ On the positive side, I sold my Nighthawk and picked up my new '06 919 yesterday. What a rush!!
I've think I saw another 919 owner, on this forum, that also had an '84 or '85 Nighthawk. Mine's an '83, which I've owned and loved since '85. For me, it just seemed right to get the 919.

post #19 of 25 Old 06-18-2006, 07:58 PM

What about Luggage Locker? A little pricey, but it never touches the paint.

http://www.luggagelocker.com

post #20 of 25 Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Hey MadMotor - congrats on the 919 pick up... Yes it is a sweet color and I would hate to screw it up! I also had an 84 Nighthawk 650. Bought and rode it out here in CA for a few years before buying a home made me reduce my expenses. Also noticed that your in Ohio! I grew up in Cincy and went to UC. Been out in San Diego area for the past 20 years now... (Wow time flies!)

Anyway... So far I love the 919... It rides and handles great! I'm looking forward to many years of fun riding on this bike. I might have to re-think my bag purchase based on your comments. Appreciate the input.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.
post #21 of 25 Old 06-19-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thats and interesting piece of luggage balbrecht. Hadn't found that one online! I would have to do some research to find out how rugged that gas cap contraption is. I could see it failing over time... but just don't know.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hey Stiggy8 - Made a discovery last night. The small tank bag from Nelson-Riggs fits perfectly on the back seat of the 9er. Tuck the magnetic flaps under the seat and lock it down. I've not done any high speed testing, but I never was a fan of the triple digit speeds. The map pocket becomes useless, but the shape of the bag looks pretty cool! I'll upload a pic if I get the chance.

BTW, I used to party a bit at UC back in the early 90's - Great Times!

post #23 of 25 Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Dark8

I have the Cortec that comes with a large and small bag and it works great. I did put the wife's on once and it scratched the sh*t out of my tank. It had set it on my workbench and the magnets picked up a bunch of metal shavings that were raxor sharp. Wasn't too upset since the tank needs a dent taken out and be repainted. But now I check it before I put it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike_2.JPG (33.9 KB, 42 views)

post #24 of 25 Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Hey Madmoto,
I use to go to Ohio State for the great parties!!! but had some good ones at UC and Miami Oxford as well!

I had thought about hanging that Nelson bag on the back... just not sre the best way to lock her down. I'll keep an eye open for the pic. The parts dealer out here that I go to is out of the CL-300 and they have one ordered so I can at least try it out. But some of the other options look decent as well.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Immune

I got the Joe Rocket Blaster Tank Bag. Works great expandable if needed. I just took a long trip 1400 miles and only took it.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode