Magic Blinker, Running Lights and Turn Signals - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
STUNG

Magic Blinker, Running Lights and Turn Signals

Recently I put on some LED turn signals and magic blinkers. (I already had the flash corrector and 2 rear LEDs.) After I installed the front lights w the magic blinkers exactly to the MB diagram, the lights only ran as running lights. Damn.

So I scoured this forum for some answers but I didn't find any. After googling, I found in a Honda Goldwing forum where a poster had the same problem and had a write up to correct this. (I can't find this forum so I could give props and a link)

The guy wired both blue and blue w white to the red; and he wired both orange and orange w white to yellow. This corrected my problem. Thanks whoever you are.

2007 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
What the heck are "magic blinkers?"

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #3 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Immune

post #4 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Princeps Prior

They turn 2 wire blinkers into blinkers/running lights

post #5 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Garage
Uh, okay. $32 for $2 worth of diodes you can get at Radio Shack and a little soldering. Heck, even if you don't have any wire or solder, you can buy that and a soldering iron at RS for less than that and then have them around for other projects.

2002 Honda 919
post #6 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
STUNG

CB700, u should then do a write up for those who, like me, don't kno diddly about diodes.

2007 Honda 919
post #7 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Milites Gregarius

post #8 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The diode serves to block the running light voltage from the rear turn signals, but allows the flasher output through to the front lamps when the blinkers are on. Pretty simple.
The Magic Blinker unit is a little different: it applies switched voltage to the front lamps until the blinkers are turned on, at which time the interrupted signal cycles a miniature DPDT relay that interrupts the constant voltage and connects the front lamp to the blinker line. it is primarily intended for motorcycles with single filament front signals to provide running lights, and is unnecessary for most Hondas with their dual filament front bulbs.

The diagram above is all that is necessary for this. It will cost a couple of bucks at most, and the last time I bought a large quantity of #4001 diodes they cost 9 cents each (just to make you Radio Shack shoppers jealous).

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
That site just burned my eyes, methinks.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterferonAlpha View Post
CB700, u should then do a write up for those who, like me, don't kno diddly about diodes.
Several people already have done them for this and other sites - some of them have been kind enough to repop them above.

2002 Honda 919
post #11 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
STUNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson

The diode serves to block the running light voltage from the rear turn signals, but allows the flasher output through to the front lamps when the blinkers are on. Pretty simple.
The Magic Blinker unit is a little different: it applies switched voltage to the front lamps until the blinkers are turned on, at which time the interrupted signal cycles a miniature DPDT relay that interrupts the constant voltage and connects the front lamp to the blinker line. it is primarily intended for motorcycles with single filament front signals to provide running lights, and is unnecessary for most Hondas with their dual filament front bulbs.

The diagram above is all that is necessary for this. It will cost a couple of bucks at most, and the last time I bought a large quantity of #4001 diodes they cost 9 cents each (just to make you Radio Shack shoppers jealous).

Rob
So that is why I could wire both running lights and turn signals to the hot wire. And I didn't even need magic blinkers--the dual filaments.

2007 Honda 919
post #12 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Tirone

Exclamation Magic Blinker Installation

I had the same trouble with magic blinker and I found this thread which gave the wrong info and ruined my magic blinkers.

To correctly wire a magic blinker on a Honda:

HONDA BLINKER SYSTEM SPECIAL NOTE: In order to properly utilize the Custom LED Magic Blinkers on many Honda Motorcycles, the constant power input wire (red) must be connected to a ignition switched source (other than that for the front stock blinkers). The little running light near the headlight is a perfect power source. The reason is because the running light wire that runs to the front signals cuts off completely when the blinkers are activated, and stays off until the blinkers are canceled. This causes the operated load (LEDs or lamps) to not work properly as the Magic Blinkers are designed to draw all power from the "running light" input wire.

The solution is to connect the right and left running light wires together. This will give you a constant feed for running lights in the front.

Using a voltmeter, you can easily verify if you are having this problem. Simply measure the voltage on the RED input wire on the Magic Blinker to check for constant 12V power - blinkers on or off.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
This info was hidden on the installation tab of the Custom LED Magic Blinker page. I've had words with the support staff so they will put these notes in the instructions where people will actually see them and also in a better location on the page itself where it will be noticed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode