Lowering kit - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Lowering kit

Wy wife is finally diving in and considering getting a 599 so she can ride along (or catch up at certain stops) with me instead of riding on my unit and nudging me to go faster.

My Honda dealer told her they can lower the 599 by 3" to accomodate her 29" inseam. Anyone have input on this and can you direct me to some details about this procedure?

Also...has anyone had interest in the M109R as a second or bike? I checked that thing out and it is quite a monster!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

29" inseam and she is complaining? Mine is 26" and have no problems what so ever with my 919.

That said: Most lowering procedures will compromise the handling characteristics of the bike.
The seat inners could be shaved down but here again the comfort level will effected.

M109R? Sorry... Not ready for the cruiser scene!

post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there was a recent thread about lowering the 919, had some links that might prove useful for the 599 as well...

post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedj
... instead of riding on my unit and nudging me to go faster.
Who can complain?

post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 AM

3 inchs!!!!!

If she can touch the ground with one foot while sitting that just move the rear sets dont lower the bike!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggly
3 inchs!!!!!

If she can touch the ground with one foot while sitting that just move the rear sets dont lower the bike!
+1.. my inseam is only 30 inches.. and me an my 919 are fine...
599 Seat Height 31.1 inches
919 Seat Height 31.3 inches
these figures are with no rider on the bike..
think about how often you really have 2 feet on the ground... I bet most of those times you don't need both feet on ground.. especially if ya do a little planning ahead.
I would say cut down the seat if it needs to be closer to the ground... dont mess up her cornering clearnces..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Tirone

Lowering 3"? That seems a bit much.

How about setting preload to minimum while raising forks 5-10mm. Shave the seat down just a bit if needed. Make sure she gets a good pair of boots with some thicker soles. That is often overlooked and makes a big difference. If you have extra cash get a length adjustable shock like a Penske, Ohlins or such.

You could get this too. They're known for their low seat height.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-m...s/monster-695/

post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Guy's don't forget you're going to sacrafice quite a bit of comfort if you shave the seat down. It's not like a dirt bike where you are standing on the pegs 75% of the time. The niner and 599 are lacking a little in seat comfort anyway.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Removed User 1

NakeDJ, I would ask the dealer how he plans on lowering the bike. I would find out if it is easily reversible. I am sure when she get used to the bike and wants better performance she, would want you to lift it back to its original form. A female friend of mine had the same problem; I wondered why she wanted it lowered because she was only 2 inches shorter than me. But when my fat ass sat on the bike it dropped, and when she sat on it it didn’t. She rides a Busa now but that’s getting off the subject.

As for the 109R man that is a beautiful bike. I got to sit on one at Rizzon a Suzuki dealer close to me in Jersey, and yes it is a monster. I liked the sitting position and the bike was definitely well balance (it felt deceitfully light). Did you get a test ride??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode