Lowering a 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Lady Di

Lowering a 919

Hi folks

I'm new to this forum. I've been riding for some 17 plus years and currently I am looking for a new bike to replace my old Yamaha Fazer. However I face two challenges, I am short and I want power. The Honda 919 gives me the power I want but it is too tall for me. Has anyone out there lowered a 919 or knows of someone who has done this? I would love any feedback on this topic. If it works I might be a new 919 owner....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 04:47 PM

quite easy... lower the forks in the triples by an inch or so and back off the spring preload to almost the top... as you are short I am assuming you are a petite figure too so the reduced weight won't be a problem...

if you really want to go lower in the rear get an extended dog bone.

600f4i and 1100 xx blackbird... same swingarm/progressive suspension setup....

link to a dogbone on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lower...6518QQtcZphoto

post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM

haven't done it to my bike but I know of a lowered 919 that sits a couple inches down and rides really nice. just watch the speed bumps on the pipes.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome aboard...

The forks can be bumped up in the triples but keep in mind the handling will be compromised. Trail is reduced which correlates to a increased chance of tank slappers. You could start out with 10 mm and see how that works. There is no dog bone option for the rear shock, the shock on the 919 connects directly to the swingarm.

I would look into having the seat remodeled which could buy you a couple of inches. For the record I have a 26" inseam and the 919 works for me in stock form.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 05:45 PM

You could go the $$ way, and have a suspension company lower it properly. It wouldn't take much for you to notice a big differance in height.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there's the old 'seat mod' method...carvin out some foam

i've heard works performance makes a shorter shock for the 919
project919 thread on lowering 919 (ignore the bit about breaking legs...we were kidding...mostly ), lowers the bike about 1.5"

i'll drop shorty and email and see what happened w/ that shock swap

works performance app guide listing shorter shock option for 919

15 seconds from talkin sh!t...
panhandling for gas money to CMP
the Project
H87 No Guts No Glory
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
stormi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Di
However I face two challenges, I am short and I want power. The Honda 919 gives me the power I want but it is too tall for me. Has anyone out there lowered a 919 or knows of someone who has done this?

Hi Lady Di,

How tall are you? I'm 5'4" and ride a 2002 919. I put a deposit on the bike last fall, and worried all winter that it was too tall for me. I've had it now for 2 weeks and have put about 325kms on it. (Not a lot, but when I have the time I take it out.)

We set the rear susp to the #2 setting, and slid the forks into the triples by about 9mm, and I can touch the ground flat on the left with my right foot on the rear brake pedal. When I come to a stop, I just scoot my butt a little to the left to make that happen. The bike, while heavier than my Bandit, is easy to manuever, and it doesn't feel like I'm going to tip ever when I do this.

Alternatively, if I stop at a light where the roads are rutted up, I put his tires in the rut, and stand on the high spot.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
stormi

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonblue919
if you really want to go lower in the rear get an extended dog bone.

600f4i and 1100 xx blackbird... same swingarm/progressive suspension setup....

link to a dogbone on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lower...6518QQtcZphoto
hey tb,

I'm confused,.. I don't see how that linkage would work for the 919. Where does the shock bolt to? Or did I completely miss how this works?

the attachments below are:

rearsusp.gif - This is the suspension for the 919 ( out of the service manual)
rearsusp600.gif - This is the suspension from the CBR600F3 ( 95 - 96 version)

I see where the linkage works for thr 600,.. but the 919? As I understand it,... the 919 is without linkage.

we looked into linkage for my 919 when I bought this bike, and were told, no such luck. Custom shock from Ohlins or Works only.

I hope I'm wrong. Linkage would make my bike a little more managable some days.
Attached Images
File Type: gif rearsusp600.gif (90.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: gif rearsusp.gif (25.1 KB, 37 views)

post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Lady Di

Thanks all.
All the replies have been apprieciated and I really like how everyone is so helpful.

After much research, as the 919 only has a single shock suspension there is no "dog bone" linkage option, so the only choice is the Ohlins shock and lowering the forks. By doing both, and not just one, the handling will remain close to the original design. This is what I have chosen to do...therefore I have put a deposit on a 919...after financing I think I will be 919 owner.....

As I want as much seat padding as possible for longer trips, I am hoping not to carve out the seat...this will be the last option...I would put in a gel to replace the foam for more comfort.

Ratdog, thanks for the link the to works performance shocks....very helpful....

post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2006, 06:05 PM

Congrats on the 919!! You will love the bike!!

Where abouts are you in Canada?

post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Lady Di

I'm on the other side of Canada. I'm in BC......mountains, sun and lots of twisties.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 PM

I had my seat carved - width is the big thing too on the seats. Did 750kms on her with the slimmer seat and didn't walk like John Wayne. I have left everything else stock - one foot is all you really need when you stop imho :001_smile:

you won't be disappointed with her - she is so well very well balanced and powerful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode