Lowering a 599 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Lowering a 599

Hey guys, there's a 599 for sale cheap locally and I'm thinking about buying it for my girlfriend. Here's the issue, she's only 5'2". The 599 specs say it has a seat height of 31.1", about 1/2" lower than the 919.

Anyone have any input on safely lowering the bike? I know I could send the seat out and have it redone, might gain an inch there, the front forks can be raised up a bit in the upper triple tree, but how to address the monoshock in the rear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

If the shock has a linkage attachment there are 'dogbones' that will lower the ride. If the shock is connected like the 919 all bets are off. A replacement shock with less distance eye to eye would be one solution.

post #3 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Looks like it has the same shock set up as the 919, no linkage, bolts directly to the swingarm. Did find this quote in a test review though...

"The 31.1-inch seat is actually lower than it sounds, as it is narrow at the front and deeply scooped. Shorter riders, especially the ladies, would do themselves a disservice not to consider at least sitting on a 599 saddle."

post #4 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Looks like it has the same shock set up as the 919, no linkage, bolts directly to the swingarm. Did find this quote in a test review though...

"The 31.1-inch seat is actually lower than it sounds, as it is narrow at the front and deeply scooped. Shorter riders, especially the ladies, would do themselves a disservice not to consider at least sitting on a 599 saddle."
It might work out for her, it's all about inseam length.

post #5 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 06:24 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Is this her first bike? How much experience does she have riding?

If it is her first bike, and you can take my advice with a grain of salt, I would get something smaller. I have found that the biggest problem with women starting to ride is that they purchase a bike that their SO likes and THINKS that she can handle. She is a small woman and it takes confidence to ride. I would recommend something smaller for her to gain skills on.

Of course, if she is an experienced rider, and likes the bike, go for it.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

My GF is 5'4", she sat on an '05 599 and it fit her perfectly. She ended up getting a DRZ400sm and lowering it, but the 599 would have worked just fine.

post #7 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirman View Post
My GF is 5'4", she sat on an '05 599 and it fit her perfectly. She ended up getting a DRZ400sm and lowering it, but the 599 would have worked just fine.
Ooooh, I bet a DRZ400SM would be fun on the hills of San Francisco. Jumps for days.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirman View Post
Not wanting to jack this thread, I would like to hear how the DRZ was lowered and how much.

A new thread would be in order.

post #9 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Is this her first bike? How much experience does she have riding?

If it is her first bike, and you can take my advice with a grain of salt, I would get something smaller. I have found that the biggest problem with women starting to ride is that they purchase a bike that their SO likes and THINKS that she can handle. She is a small woman and it takes confidence to ride. I would recommend something smaller for her to gain skills on.

Of course, if she is an experienced rider, and likes the bike, go for it.
She's a fairly experienced rider, has had 2 street bikes and grew up on dirt bikes. Has completed a MSF course as well. Rides a Kaw Vulcan 500LTD right now, fun little cruiser and has pretty good spunk out of the Ninja 500 derived twin, but would love to get a sport bike. This is a Yellow '04 599 with 5k miles, guy wants $4200 obo, going to go check it out this afternoon.

It looks like the seat sits lower than my 919, more scooped out at the front it appears in the pics. Weighs slightly less as well, I'm thinking with some seat modification that it might work for her.

Two Hornet household, how cool would that be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornet599.jpg (9.9 KB, 43 views)

post #10 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
She's a fairly experienced rider, has had 2 street bikes and grew up on dirt bikes. Has completed a MSF course as well. Rides a Kaw Vulcan 500LTD right now, fun little cruiser and has pretty good spunk out of the Ninja 500 derived twin, but would love to get a sport bike. This is a Yellow '04 599 with 5k miles, guy wants $4200 obo, going to go check it out this afternoon.

It looks like the seat sits lower than my 919, more scooped out at the front it appears in the pics. Weighs slightly less as well, I'm thinking with some seat modification that it might work for her.

If you loosen up on the rebound of the rear shock so that the bike sags more when she sits on it and the raise the fork tubes up in the triple clamps you can lower it another one to two inches. Now if she is heavy this might not be a good solution. But if she only weighs about 100lbs then it will work for her.

post #11 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
If you loosen up on the rebound of the rear shock so that the bike sags more when she sits on it and the raise the fork tubes up in the triple clamps you can lower it another one to two inches. Now if she is heavy this might not be a good solution. But if she only weighs about 100lbs then it will work for her.

I thought of that, she does weigh more than 100lbs, but she's not heavy by any means. I'd post her weight, but I enjoy my life.

Everything I've read about lowering sportbikes stresses that both front and rear have to be lowered the same to maintain proper chassis geometry. Supposedly lowering the front end up to 15mm is safe, that's only about 5/8" but I guess every little bit helps.

I'd rather not mess with the suspension at all, perhaps the 599 sits low enough already that with a bit of seat modification she can get both feet firmly on the ground.

post #12 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

The problem I have always had with the less pre-load theory is throwing a leg over the bike to get it weighted.

post #13 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Aquilifer

Off Topic..sort of

Not to confuse the issue but this looks rather nice
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/422462859.html
I did lower my wifes KZ 650 doing all the standard stuff,shave seat,slide fork tubes up,shorter shock and swapped front wheel an 18 in place of the 19 it came with.She's a 5 footer.

Good Luck
Rich

post #14 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I thought of that, she does weigh more than 100lbs, but she's not heavy by any means. I'd post her weight, but I enjoy my life.

Everything I've read about lowering sportbikes stresses that both front and rear have to be lowered the same to maintain proper chassis geometry. Supposedly lowering the front end up to 15mm is safe, that's only about 5/8" but I guess every little bit helps.

I'd rather not mess with the suspension at all, perhaps the 599 sits low enough already that with a bit of seat modification she can get both feet firmly on the ground.
Sbeau these things are a true concern, but only when pushing the bike through some real paces. If she's not planning on doing track days or racing the bike she is not going to notice the geometry is off one bit. I've taken all these steps on multiple bike and until you start going really fast, taking hard fast turns, and/or jumping the bike you're not going to notice the difference.
I seriously wouldn't even consider this a problem for her if you and she like this bike and it's a good deal.

post #15 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:

A 2 Hornet household would be awesome!
Sounds perfect for her.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by offering my opinion. It is just the main reason that I have seen women quit riding. They listened to their SO, instead of their instincts. Your gf sounds perfectly capable of handling anything that she wants to ride.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
A 2 Hornet household would be awesome!
Sounds perfect for her.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by offering my opinion. It is just the main reason that I have seen women quit riding. They listened to their SO, instead of their instincts. Your gf sounds perfectly capable of handling anything that she wants to ride.

No offense Kristin, I welcome your opinion as a female rider. I know exactly what you mean, boyfriend or husband says you have to get this cool crotch rocket and it scares the hell out of a newbie woman rider. In my S.O.'s case she's more than ready for the next step up, it's just a matter of fitting her short frame. I am encouraged the more I read up on the 599 though, check out this quote from a Motorcyclist Online comparison test of the 599, F6 and SV650:

"Maybe some of this apparent power parity is an illusion stemming from the Honda's compact dimensions. Sit down and the 599 feels tiny—in the same way the 919 feels like a welterweight next to the lumbering Bandit, FZ1 and ZRX—with a short throw to the bar and a seat seemingly two feet from the ground. Although not the lightest bike here, the Honda nonetheless feels small and agile—it may be dense, but the density is in the right place. If you were building a bike to specifically favor the just-learning end of the rider cosmos, this is how you'd do it."

post #17 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Checked out the 599

Ok, we went and checked out the bike last night. Ah, if only everything was always exactly as advertised and described over the phone. Unfortunately it's been laid down at low speed on the right side, needs about $500 worth of replacement parts but at least didn't get into the tank. Bike had 6000 miles, not 5000, was filthy, covered with several months worth of dead bugs. Throttle had about 3/4" of free play, clutch had more than that. Tires were half flat, something the owner hadn't noticed even though he supposedly rides it daily. I rode it briefly down the street, no air compressor or gas station nearby, so didn't take it far on those tires. Seemed to run fine, think it just needs the crash damage repair, some mechanical TLC and and long day of of detailing, all of which I could do myself.

Did some research on the value, high retail $4800, low retail is $3600, trade in $3300. OEM replacement parts ordered online $498. Local dealer says there's no market for them, no one knows what they are and most people want sport bikes or cruisers. Offered the guy $3000, said he'd get back with me. He called back and countered at $3200, I stayed firm at my offer and he said no. We'll see if he calls back in a day or two, but I won't be heart broken if he doesn't. I know the bike can be made back into a nice machine, but considering all it needs I'm not going to buy it unless it's really cheap.

Oh yeah, the seat is definitely too high for her, can get one foot on the ground or both tiptoes. Think it would work though with minor suspension adjustments and some seat reshaping. We'll see.

And that my friends is the saga of the yellow 599. To be continued?

post #18 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Don't ya just love it when the bike is not as advertised. Unfortunately it happens all the time. Let the dude sleep on it, there is no way he is going to get more than 3k considering replacement parts will run about $500. Keep us posted.

post #19 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well he didn't even have to sleep on it, just called back and left a message, wants me to come over tonight and "talk about it". I assume that means he's open to my offer. Trying to decide if it's worth my time to load up the air compressor and go mess with it or not.

My experience has always been that anyone who doesn't keep their stuff clean, at least relatively so, also doesn't pay any attention to maintenance or mechanical issues. That much was obvious with last night's visit. On the plus side, the bike only has 6k miles, probably hasn't really had a chance to do any mechanical damage in that short period.

What to do, what to do? I think I'll make him wait overnight and call in the morning. A cold beer sounds better at 5pm on a Friday after a tough week than trying to negotiate with this dude anyway.

post #20 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Man just the kind of deal I love. Take a lemon and turn it into lemonaide. AAAHHH how fitting huh!
It would probably make the perfect little bike for your girl it's already been dropped and everything. Almost no one is going to come around and offer him anything for that bike because no one knows these bikes. Just hold out.

post #21 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well he didn't even have to sleep on it, just called back and left a message, wants me to come over tonight and "talk about it". I assume that means he's open to my offer. Trying to decide if it's worth my time to load up the air compressor and go mess with it or not.

My experience has always been that anyone who doesn't keep their stuff clean, at least relatively so, also doesn't pay any attention to maintenance or mechanical issues. That much was obvious with last night's visit. On the plus side, the bike only has 6k miles, probably hasn't really had a chance to do any mechanical damage in that short period.

What to do, what to do? I think I'll make him wait overnight and call in the morning. A cold beer sounds better at 5pm on a Friday after a tough week than trying to negotiate with this dude anyway.
Cold beer right now sounds good, I'm about to have one also.

Let him sit tight overnight, call him back tomorrow. The 599 motor is pretty much bulletproof. I would take it for a decent ride with inflated tires and pay particular attention to the transmission. Especially when shifting from 1st to second. If the bike was dumped check out the forks.

post #22 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

It seemed to shift ok in my short ride last night, the only thing I noticed was some t/o bearing noise in neutral. Might be normal, definitely louder than my 919 though. Also it felt twitchy when I hit the brakes, but hard to tell with the low tires. Need to air it up and take it for a much longer ride, make sure it doesn't have any other hidden issues.

Here's the parts list needed to make it look like new, all prices from Ride Now Powersports:

04 Honda 599 (CB600F)

1131-MBZ-000 Pulser Cover 58.41
11391-MV9-670 Pulser Cover Gasket 6.28
11332-MBZ-D00 Pulser Cover Cap 9.19
91301-ML7-003 Pulser Cover Cap O-Ring 2.09
19316-MBZ-G00 Thermostat Cover 15.23
18325-MBZ-K00 RR Muffler Protector 74.56
18324-MBZ-K00 FR Muffler Protector 43.79
53104-MY9-751 R Handlebar End Weight 11.42
53170-MBN-006 Brake Lever 20.94
61314-MBZ-A10 RF Turnsignal Stay 20.66
37103-MBZ-K00 Instrument Case Lower 39.54
33101-MBZ-K31 Headlight Rim 31.55
71205-MBZ-A10ZA Seat Cowl, Yellow 122.84
77216-MBZ-A10ZA Decal, R&L 599 11.34 x 2
77216-MBZ-K00ZD Decal, Rear Honda 9.98
_________

$489.16

post #23 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

my friends wife has a 599 and he loves it. oh yea she likes it too. painted pink, she is very small too and she is fine on it now. after her trip to the dragon. will try to get a picture of it.

post #24 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think Mike gave perfect advice above. In addition I'd add to your phone call that he wasn't really upfront about the condition of the bike to begin with so if you go to see it again in daylight and you find more wrong with it still that your going to come down on the price again. But if you don't see anything I don't think your going to have much more than the drop damage with only 6000 miles on that bike. It's a Honda man! Not a Harley.

I really think if you just adjust the suspension that she'll be riding that sucker. I'm only 5'6" and I have to tip toe my 919 but we get along just beautifully.

post #25 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks for everyone's advice, it's great to have all this wealth of experience to draw on! Going to try and see it today again and check it out in detail, next post will either be that the little yellow 599 is in our garage awaiting rehap, or that it's a total POS.

post #26 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Bought it! I'll start a new threat and document the progress as I work on it.

post #27 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

WooooHooooo this is going to be fun!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode