low fuel = stalling? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
fat guy on a little bike

low fuel = stalling?

i know its been discussed before but i recently took about a year hiatus rom the 9'er and i noticed thatevery time i turn it to the "on" position or flip on the kill switch it sounds like theres air in the fuel line for a split second? anyone else notice this? that doesnt necesarily mean it wasnt there before just that i dont remember it.. i dont know if its related but the other day my light came on and i was able to fill up right away and it only took 3.7 gallons.. but typically by my math it usually comes on around 1.1 gallons left, the problem is when it does finally come on even the slightest braking will kill it. and if i ride a few miles with the light on even decell will kill it. in traffic this is fairly dangerous and scary... so any one? do i have a problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

for some reason it sounds like it is not actually going into reserve... that tank completely dry holds 5 gallons... therefore you are correct about the amount you have left.... i would pull the tank and check the fuel pickup make sure there is no trash in it.. check fuel filters check vents make sure the tank isnt pulling a vacumn.. then if it still does it i would pay someone smarter than me to fix it....lol... keep us posted

post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Whenever the key is turned on the EFI controller runs the fuel pump for a couple seconds to prime the fuel rail that feeds the injectors. That's the whine you hear.

If the engine dies when braking with a low tank it may indicate a problem with the pickup, fuel pump, or related fuel tank issues as barton664 said, or contamination in the fuel settles as the fuel is used. Here's a Link to a comprehensive fuel pump troubleshooting guide (post # 8) that will walk you through the electrical end of things.

How was the bike stored? Was it prepped or "put away wet"? Come to think of it the problem may be a loose or corroded battery terminal that is interrupting power at just the wrong time, but why it would happen only with a low tank is beyond me.

That's as far as I can go with the information given, so look things over and get back to us.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Tirone

could it be a battery on the way out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode