LOUD Satos - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

LOUD Satos

I recently bought a set of used ti Satos of E-Bay. The previus owner had them on for 1 season. I was impressed in the way in which the engine would rev so much quicker and pull noticibly harder than my baffelectomised stock cans. Geeze, these things are loud tho. Are Satos just as loud when new, or do they get louder with age and use? What are they packed with?

The Erion can on my 929 was supposidly packed with ceramic wool when manufactured, and should not get any louder. I don't think it has gotten louder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I recently bought a set of used ti Satos of E-Bay. The previus owner had them on for 1 season. I was impressed in the way in which the engine would rev so much quicker and pull noticibly harder than my baffelectomised stock cans. Geeze, these things are loud tho. Are Satos just as loud when new, or do they get louder with age and use? What are they packed with?

The Erion can on my 929 was supposidly packed with ceramic wool when manufactured, and should not get any louder. I don't think it has gotten louder.
You need to hear them on a RC51!

post #3 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

When I had mine on the 919, they got significantly louder after a couple thousand miles, really noticed it after a really hard extended higher RPM run one day, they seemed to open up and gain a few decibels

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #4 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Centurion

There are two versions, the first being louder. See LDH's site for visual differences so you can tell which you have.

post #5 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 04:34 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Even though this is a BS statement, "loud pipes save lives."

Semper Fidelis

post #6 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Unbannable

I think you need a repack. I got Staintunes because I was sick of loud bikes.

Maybe you could fab up an insert to make the holes smaller. That would take it down a little. I've seen it done on other bikes. It's too bad they don't make one as an accessorie.

post #7 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

SSS, you're probably right about the re-pack. I don't want to drill rivits and take a chance on ruining the appearence; and I'm lazy. Besides, I think they'd need a repac again. The old Kerkers were pretty cool. You just removed one 1/4-20 screw and the end cap came off. Stuff it full of Owens Corning pink insulation, and you were good to go for a while again.

I always wear earplugs. The noise doesn't bother me. I just dont want to be a nusance.

post #8 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Send them to SATO in CA. They have a great customer service department. They are a great company and the turn around is fast. They will make them look brand new when you get them back.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmears View Post
That's not a BS statement - it's a proven fact in my experience. Had several occasions where some caged idiot started to change lanes on me and I crank it open. They whip back into their lane real quick like and I've noticed a surprised look on their face as I shoot by. Much more effective than the stock horn IMO.

They definitely get louder after a few thousand miles. But they sound just plain badazz! Everyone I ride with comments on how the 9er sounds so sweet. They do liven up the motor even w/o a PC3. Ran mine for a week before installing the PC3 just to feel the difference in stages.

If they're too loud for you Sniper just stick in some ear plugs. Or a small wad of toilet in each ear cuts the noise and still allows you to hear stuff around you.

Send them back and have them repacked? Sheesh, whatever!

True, quality race cans don't have baffles!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmears View Post
I will agree with this statement completely. Smart riding saves lives. Loud can irritate drivers around you in bumper to bumper traffic.

Many a time I have thought someone was going to change lanes on me, so I simply slowed down and let them have it. Amazing how my Tiger with a stock exhaust gets cut off less than my old RC51. I will say it is simply my change in attitude, nothing to do with pipes.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #11 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Unbannable

I think loud pipes are only loud to cagers when you're in front of them. From the blind spot I doubt it will make any differance with their radio up and their cell phone.

post #12 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't get it Raze. I even wrapped the toilet paper around the ear plugs. Comes blowing right out as soon as you hit 4000 rpm.

post #13 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
I don't get it Raze. I even wrapped the toilet paper around the ear plugs. Comes blowing right out as soon as you hit 4000 rpm.
Not sure I get it now Snipe - so are you saying that even with TP and earplugs it still sounds too loud past 4000rpm?

I put balled up TP in my ears sometimes when riding in cold weather. I prefer that to actual earplugs because I can hear traffic noise better. I use it when shooting as well - same reason - can still hear other sounds like a strange truck coming down our hunt club road for example.

post #14 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It was a joke to make you think I put the TP in my exhaust pipe.

I always ride with earplugs. Arai helmets are comfy but let in a bunch of wind noise.

I friend of mine lives in a valley maybe 500 yards across. After I put the Satos on, I went to his place to show him. I stood aside and listened while he took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears to redline. He filled that whole valley with 919, so to speak. MUCH louder than baffelectomised stockers. The leaves were off the trees, which didn't help matters.

post #15 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:

I friend of mine lives in a valley maybe 500 yards across. After I put the Satos on, I went to his place to show him. I stood aside and listened while he took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears to redline. He filled that whole valley with 919, so to speak. MUCH louder than baffelectomised stockers. The leaves were off the trees, which didn't help matters.
Are they obnoxious? (harley bad) or just hey that's bad a.. I can't sneak in and out of the development at 2am anymore?? I like a good sounding rumble but (straight pipe)Harley's just annoy me.

post #16 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
I always ride with earplugs. Arai helmets are comfy but let in a bunch of wind noise.

I stood aside and listened while he took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears to redline. He filled that whole valley with 919, so to speak.
Sniper - Surely that was music to your ears, right?

AJ - I seem to remember LDH saying something on 919.org like they make little old ladies faint and cause birds to fall from the sky! Nah, they're not Harley obnoxious but are sure as hell a lot louder than the cored stock exhaust. Those twin cans put out a very unique sound.

post #17 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda Addict

My wife tells me they change the air pressure and vibrate pictures on the wall when it's idling in the garage. Gotta love that!

Sneaking in & out of anywhere is impossible.

post #18 of 22 Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Liked it. Surprised how loud tho.

Aj, if you keep the revs below 3k, which isn't hard to do in town if ya have to, you'll get by. Don't crank on it unless it's the 4th of July.

post #19 of 22 Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

The original version of the Sato's for the 919 were obnoxiously loud. I would be riding around & move my head so that my helmet would seperate from my jacket collar & the sounds waves entering that tiny opening would literally rattle my teeth.

The 2nd gen version of the Sato's have a smaller core & longer nozzles & actually increased mid-range performance over the original version all while being much more ear friendly.

post #20 of 22 Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda Addict

Here's a pic of Snipe's bike with the LOUD SATOS.

Oh, BTW, nevermind the Ohlins rear shock - don't matter no way...

...yeah, whatever!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snipes bike.jpg (403.2 KB, 60 views)

post #21 of 22 Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hey Sniper, what mirrors and handlebars do you have on your ride?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #22 of 22 Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Raze, thank You.

Chaparral `06 Streetbike catalog #73, page 407. Paid a whole $24 for them. They do a pretty good job. They have flat glass, so you dont get the larger field of view that you would with convex mirrors. I've had them on for 2 seasons with no trouble at all. I always put a dab of LocTite on everything that even vaguely resembles a fastener.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode