Lost Keys - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Lost Keys

Hi everyone,

Oh No - Lost my keys!!!! How dumb but it happens to all of us - eventually.

My problems serious as I'm in the UK which means my bikes got HISS - the manual says I need a new PGM unit but I'm getting conflicting advice. At best I've been told I just need a new ECU and as I have my key number the ECU can be ordered so it comes with 2 keys to fit my ignition barrel - they quote £650. Others are telling me I need a HISS LOCKSET ECU CDI & KEYS and are quoting me £1100 just for the parts.

Is there anyone technical or has had the same problem out there who can help me?

PS Why don't you have the HISS problem to cope with if HondaUK are right when they say its so great? Personally I think immobilisers are great on cars but not bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmac View Post
Hi everyone,

Oh No - Lost my keys!!!!
Forgot to say my bikes a Hornet 900

post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I would go with the 650 quote and if that dose not do it, they have a customer service problem.
I have had a similar experience when I bought my bike the seller had only 1 key he could find, and said he would mail the other key and owners manual when he found them. A couple days later I got a package that had been torn with only the manual inside. I contacted him and he said he mailed both the manual and key. Now what ? Needless to say my wild imagination mixed with some paranoia and I keep the bike locked with a chain even in the garage.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Reminds me of the old joke about buying a new car for $1,000, but, the key was $7,000. That's becoming a reality. It appears the owner gets punished if the vehicle gets stolen.

[
post #5 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you can stand not riding for a while, keep looking. Lesson learned, always have spares!

2 > 4
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmac View Post
Oh No - Lost my keys!!!!
PS Why don't you have the HISS problem to cope with if HondaUK are right when they say its so great? Personally I think immobilisers are great on cars but not bikes.
Agreed! Having worked in the automotive service trade until 2 years ago, I can say an immobilizer makes sense in a car where the steering, shifter, and ignition are all locked by removing the key. Even if you punch out the lock, the shifter and ECU are still disabled by the immobilizer, so the most you can do is drag it onto a flatbed and haul it away -- no small task in park. A motorcycle can still be picked up and thrown onto a caravan by two big guys, or if you know what you're doing break the fork lock and rolled away. They can't start it, but that's small comfort to you. It's still gone.
One permanent solution is to search U.S. salvages for an ECU not equipped with the HISS "feature" and compare the wiring diagram on this site with one for a HISS equipped bike in the U.K., and if the connectors for the ECU are the same pin for pin, then plug the ECU in, have a key (or a dozen) cut and you're golden. If the harness is different you will need one of those as well, but if the salvage has the ECU they may have the harness as well. Usually, ECUs sell for around $300 plus shipping, so if my grasp of the exchange rate is close you could save about $800 by going this route.
Frankly, if a car owner lost their keys and were told it would cost $1000 to get them back on the road you can bet your ass they would raise such a stink Honda would stop that RIGHT NOW!!! Are we really so much less deserving of consideration?

Rob

P.S.: One guarantee -- as soon as you jump through all the hoops to get your bike back on the road, you'll find the keys under the sofa cushion at your parent's house. That's just the way it is.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

there HAS to be a workaround. With all the automobile chip-key systems, there are ways to read the codes & make keys that work.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

We don't HISS in the US because we (most of us anyways) are free men that own firearms, and here in my state, we're allowed to shoot theves. That's a pretty good deterrant. I live in a small town, aprox 15000, I almost never take the key out of any of my bikes.

But, just in case I do loose my primary key, the spare is zip-tied to the bike somewhere.

I hope you can make a non-HISS system work. Good Luck, Jon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode