looks like i gotta ask for help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

looks like i gotta ask for help

ok just got my new acewell 3913 series gauge in and upon installation i came across a problem. when i turn on the bike, the gauge will not turn on, the clock is on, turn signal, headlight, etc lights all work but not the lcd. i have looked over the wiring schematic of both the 919 (i have an '02) and the acewell. i have come to the conclusion that the reason it is not coming on is because i cannot figure out where to connect the "vdd" wire off of the acewell. anybody have experience with connecting these gauges?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

i have gone back and checked all my grounds all are good. i did a little research and i found this on here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...rmarket+gauges

on that writeup it says the switched power is brown, i have black/brown, and brown/black not just brown...

post #3 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

WoW

I just read everything in that link and I have to say that is one thing I will never be doing! No how No way!

post #4 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

update!

i got it to power on finally, just tapped into the fuse line for the ignition. but now my gauges are really dim, unreadable, but the lcd is on! maybe a bad ground? should i just run a new ground for the unit and not tap into the existing wires?

post #5 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I would measure the voltage/amperage from the + to the - wire as close to the gauge as possible. Then measure from the + at the gauge to the - as close to the battery as possible. If there is a considerable amount of change you might want to use a different ground. IIRC there is more than one ground available in the 02/03 919 gauges. When I moved to 04 gauges on my 02 I believe there was a solid green or green/red wire that was extra, that is a ground.

Hopefully that makes sense, trying to ween myself off of caffeine and it's having a considerable effect on my performance

post #6 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I would measure the voltage/amperage from the + to the - wire as close to the gauge as possible. Then measure from the + at the gauge to the - as close to the battery as possible. If there is a considerable amount of change you might want to use a different ground. IIRC there is more than one ground available in the 02/03 919 gauges. When I moved to 04 gauges on my 02 I believe there was a solid green or green/red wire that was extra, that is a ground.

Hopefully that makes sense, trying to ween myself off of caffeine and it's having a considerable effect on my performance
lol, i am trying to get more in me! stayed up to late working on this!

and yes there are two grounds on the 02 and i hooked up both...
i think i am just going to try a new ground and see where that gets me

post #7 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
WoW

I just read everything in that link and I have to say that is one thing I will never be doing! No how No way!
i am with ripper on this one... allthough the idea of using my fuel gauge for a temperature gauge has allways intrigued me (?!)

post #8 of 22 Old 09-18-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i am with ripper on this one... allthough the idea of using my fuel gauge for a temperature gauge has allways intrigued me (?!)
it wasnt really all that hard...except for the part i am stuck on lol

post #9 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

ok guys another update!

when i go to set up the device, some of the menus will come up clear, readable just like it is supposed to and some menus do not. then when i clear out of the menu setup, the main screen is still all skewed...

i have gone back and checked all the connections and reconnected the ones that looked sucseptable(sp?) and nothing helped.

if there is any technical gurus out there i could use some help!

post #10 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Milites Gregarius

kudos for trying the gauge install! sorry my write-up is so confusing. Honestly it is easier than it sounds, just a process of matching one wire to another.

There must be a switched power wire going to the stock gauges. It might be white/green rather than brown. But wiring directly to the ignition wire is probably just as good. What is the voltage you measure between the ignition wire and your ground wire? It does sound like a voltage issue to me.

Also, do you have the speedo-healer?

It sounds like your 3913 gauge is more complicated than mine. Yours is one of the rectangle ones?

post #11 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

have you tried starting the bike?

post #12 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Have you tried hell desk (a.k.a. tech support)

post #13 of 22 Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

no speedo healer yet, and it is one of the rectangle ones (also on this unit i have 2 wires for the nuetral light, one + and one -). i believe i tried the white green one, dont remember. the bike starts fine and all, just the gauges are outta whack. i did try hell desk, electrosport are nice guys btw, and they tried to tell me the constant power and the switched power on the unit was backwards (wiring i mean) but i tried that and they were wrong lol, it is correct the way it is.

i will have to pick up a voltage reader or borrow one to check that, but if it is wrong, what would i need to do to fix it?

post #14 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Milites Gregarius

Well, the voltage meter should read more than 11 volts or so. If it reads less there is a bad connection somewhere. Or less likely too much resistance from wires that are too thin.

Try using the white/green wire; that should definitely be the switched power. (Mine was brown because I kept the connector going to the stock headlight, and the wire switches colors at the connector for some reason. ) This wil help eliminate one variable, since I know it worked for me.

Also I'm pretty sure I tethered two ground wires from the bike together to allow more current, then attached that to the acewell ground wire. There are at least two ground wires available, maybe four.

If you still get less than 11 volts you may want to try running a direct ground wire to somewhere on the bike. Under the tank there is a grounding screw you can use, I think. You can test whether you will get sufficient voltage by touching one meter lead to the white/green wire and one meter lead to metal on the bike, with the bike electricity on.

Also you will need to buy a speedo healer for any kind of meaningful readout from the speedometer. unless you want to attach the magnet and sensor to your bike. BTW what is the vdd wire and did you figure out where to attach it?

post #15 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

ok i did the white/green and it worked. i also switched the wires like tech support said and it worked, all except for the writin on the gauges

so when i get off work today i am going to try the voltage readout and a bigger ground wire (i did what you said about grounding, tried the direct ground to the frame, connecting 2 wires to stock wire on harness and 1 to the other stock wire). i have some 8 gauge see if that will work or maybe i should just throw the 0/1 awg on there...

post #16 of 22 Old 09-20-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

well i still havent tried the voltage readout yet waitin on my buddy to use his, but i went ahead and tried running a new ground to the stock ground source with 8 gauge wire with no success. what other things should i look for in the voltage drop?

post #17 of 22 Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Milites Gregarius

well, with the 8 gauge ground not working, maybe the problem isn't the voltage after all. Definitely try the voltage meter; if the reading is over 11 V from the white/green to the ground then the problem isn't the voltage.

If the problem isn't the voltage then maybe one of the connections is wrong... Is your wiring scheme identical to the one in my write up? Are there additional wires for your speedometer that mine doesn't have?

Is it only the side LEDs that are working properly? How about the speedo backlight? And does the main screen show any numbers/letters, or is it just blank?

post #18 of 22 Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

the backlight works, side lights work, it is trying to show letters and numbering but it is all a big mess (make sense?) not blank though

post #19 of 22 Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

ok here is a pic of the display with the ignition on

post #20 of 22 Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i hate those things, i put them on crfs alot, wiring never right, i will try to find schematic to help.

post #21 of 22 Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

sweet much appreciated, wanted a koso but got a good deal (imo) on the this for 100 shipped

post #22 of 22 Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Milites Gregarius

Interesting. the backlight is quite bright, suggesting that voltage is not the issue. Check it out anyways though.

Maybe there is a 12 volt power wire going to a gauge input that should be receiving data information. That might cause the discombobulation... A faulty data input otherwise should just cause one area that was reading incorrectly.

Check all the power related wires (definitely the white/green and red/green) and make sure they don't connect to anything they shouldn't, and that they aren't short circuiting to any of the other wires.

So, it looks like nothing on the main LED screen reads out correctly? Does playing with the turn signals or high beam have any effect on the main LED screen? How about switching in and out of neutral?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode