Lever input - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
notsowisecracker

Lever input

I've been having trouble with the factory clutch lever.
I'll start by saying I don't have big hands.
They're not freakishly small like in the Burger King commercials, but when I extend my fingers to pull in the clutch, my middle finger touches the lever right at the first joint and the tip of my index finger just makes it over the edge of the lever.

This is causing hand fatigue.

So, I've decided I need some adjustable aftermarket levers, and have been shopping around.

I think I've decided on the ASV F5 series.
I like that they are infinitely adjustable, and can be dialed in exactly where you want them.

My inexperiance with anything other than stock length OEM levers has kind of stalled my purchase.

I like the look of the short levers, but I'm concerned about loss of leverage.

My gut feeling is that my index, middle, and third finger are doing most all of the work, and that they'd most likely all fit on a short lever, but I'm not sure.

Can someone with the shorties clear this up for me?

Does the smoother operation of good aftermarket levers make up for the loss in leverage?

Is being able to adjust the lever close enough for me to actually wrap three fingers around it enough to make up for the leverage loss of a shortie?

I know some riders choose a short brake lever, and a long clutch lever, but I don't want this.
They'll be either both short, or both long when I decide and order.

Oh, and I'll get this out of the way in advance....

Not me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I frequently use a finger for clutch action, 2 fingers is a bad damn habit of mine for using the brakes. That being said, I doubt you'll miss anything going with shorties as long as you can adjust them to where there is enough action to actuate brakes and clutch.

That being said, I've never used anything but the stock levers on my bikes. Others with aftermarkets I couldn't do a comparison because I rarely get a chance to ride others bikes. Even when I do, I usually pass it up unless I can afford to replace the entire thing.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have the ASV shorties, IMO, the clutch requires a little more force over the stock lever, not bad to get used to though. The brake requires one finger for normal braking, I usually use two and there is plenty of room for three fingers on both sides. I like having one or two fingers around the grips at all times, just my preference. The adjustability is great, very easy to change position without affecting performance. Worth every penny IMO.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Gets censored

I have crg shorties and Id get shorts again if it had the choice I dont think theres is any difference in leverage. I also had a problem with the stock levers a little. One thing I did with the stockers was adjust the clutch to start engaging real close to the bar, this required less effort to pull the lever when it was far out. But my adjustable crg's did help a bit more.

post #5 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 AM
Princeps Prior

Went with shorty Pazzo's both sides.....absolutely love them....they're a ton smoother and alot less sloppy at the pivot. Being able to feel the clutch engagement spot is a reality now.

I wouldn't worry about leverage problems. Just buy em, you'll be happy.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
I've been having trouble with the factory clutch lever.
I'll start by saying I don't have big hands.
They're not freakishly small like in the Burger King commercials, but when I extend my fingers to pull in the clutch, my middle finger touches the lever right at the first joint and the tip of my index finger just makes it over the edge of the lever.

This is causing hand fatigue.

So, I've decided I need some adjustable aftermarket levers, and have been shopping around.

I think I've decided on the ASV F5 series.
I like that they are infinitely adjustable, and can be dialed in exactly where you want them.

My inexperiance with anything other than stock length OEM levers has kind of stalled my purchase.

I like the look of the short levers, but I'm concerned about loss of leverage.

My gut feeling is that my index, middle, and third finger are doing most all of the work, and that they'd most likely all fit on a short lever, but I'm not sure.

Can someone with the shorties clear this up for me?

Does the smoother operation of good aftermarket levers make up for the loss in leverage?

Is being able to adjust the lever close enough for me to actually wrap three fingers around it enough to make up for the leverage loss of a shortie?

I know some riders choose a short brake lever, and a long clutch lever, but I don't want this.
They'll be either both short, or both long when I decide and order.

Oh, and I'll get this out of the way in advance....

Not me.
The 919 is known for having the clutch lever pivot point far from the bar. I think is was a deliberate attempt by Honda to mimic old bikes that old riders rode. I did not like the stock setup at all. Step 1 was regular length CRGs that I ran in position 1, and even then I ran more cable slack to get the lever where I wanted it. Step 2 was to fit a F4i clutch lever bracket, which has a lever pivot point nearer the bar. It's not a huge difference, but it is a very noticeable improvement. The CRG 919 clutch lever is the same as the F4i, so you can re-use the CRG (or other aftermarket) lever. I still run the CRG in position 1, but now have normal cable slack and the lever is where I want it. The next step would be to graft a clutch bracket from something else, one with a lever pivot point even closer to the bar. I eyeballed the assemblies on our GSX-Rs and think they could be made to work. A CBR600RR may be a possibility, but I've never looked at one to eye it up in this regard. By the way, the 919 and F4i both use the same brake light switch. I bought a new one for the new bracket, figuring the plastic switch might get destroyed removing it from the 919 bracket in an effort to reuse it. It's an inexpensive part.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Step 2 was to fit a F4i clutch lever bracket, which has a lever pivot point nearer the bar. It's not a huge difference, but it is a very noticeable improvement. The CRG 919 clutch lever is the same as the F4i, so you can re-use the CRG (or other aftermarket) lever.
Good post broseph, Im on the hunt for a f4i perch now.

post #8 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 AM
McTavish

How much difference in pivot point distance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Good post broseph, Im on the hunt for a f4i perch now.
I just went into my parts bin and did some measurements to compare the two again.
The centreline of the F4i clutch lever pivot is a nominal 10 mm closer to the handlebar as compared to the 919.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Gets censored

Im on it! thanks

post #10 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
notsowisecracker

Thanks for all the info.
I think I'll end up with the short levers.

Good info on the f4i parts mcromo44!

post #11 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
Thanks for all the info.
I think I'll end up with the short levers.

Good info on the f4i parts mcromo44!
Thanks, and I'll bet there are lots of 919ers out there that hate the stock clutch lever setup just as much as I did.

post #12 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
McTavish

No Mirror Mount on F4i Clutch Lever Bracket

Quote:
Thanks, and I'll bet there are lots of 919ers out there that hate the stock clutch lever setup just as much as I did.
I forgot the mention that there is No Mirror Mount on F4i Clutch Lever Bracket, so you'll either need a bar end mirror, or get some kind of bar clamp that will receive a mirror, trusting all will want a left side mirror at a minimum.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Tirone

Thanks, now I'll notice another less than nominal quality on my significant other...

More money required for a hobby I think should be cheap. I just wanna ride. FML.

Yes I'm drunk.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by det5lonewolf View Post
Thanks, now I'll notice another less than nominal quality on my significant other...

More money required for a hobby I think should be cheap. I just wanna ride. FML.

Yes I'm drunk.
I can't help it.
I'm tormented by the pursuit of perfection !

post #15 of 15 Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
I forgot the mention that there is No Mirror Mount on F4i Clutch Lever Bracket, so you'll either need a bar end mirror, or get some kind of bar clamp that will receive a mirror, trusting all will want a left side mirror at a minimum.
Mirrors are for girls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode