LED Brakelights - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

LED Brakelights

Are there such things in LED world that just replace your stock brakelights?Take old brake light out, put in LED bulb in socket. If so, will they function with "backoff"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

1st yes there is forget where to get em but will find them for you. not sure if will work with the "back off"

post #3 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

superbrightleds.com and look for the 1157 bulb i believe not sure how it will act with the back off blinker.

post #4 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
superbrightleds.com and look for the 1157 bulb i believe not sure how it will act with the back off blinker.
919? ...not 1157 bulbs. I think they are 7443 or similar.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

so if you're just pluggin' this into the socket and using the stock light cover would you just get a white bulb or would you still need to use a red one?
I'm looking at the 7443 Luxen LED

post #6 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

There are plenty options for the 1157. Google 1157 led bulbs and find one that fits your fancy.

post #7 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
so if you're just pluggin' this into the socket and using the stock light cover would you just get a white bulb or would you still need to use a red one?
I'm looking at the 7443 Luxen LED
I would do red. Led light has very narrow wave length and better safe then pink.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #8 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

How is the visibility during the day, I assume they are better at night than incandescent?

post #9 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

The problem with a LED>bulb replacement is they are limited angle light. I decided best for a zillion LEDs with Clear Alternative's panel and clear lens. Folks see it!

post #10 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmmann View Post
There are plenty options for the 1157. Google 1157 led bulbs and find one that fits your fancy.
Again.. AKAIK.. the 919 does not use 1157 bulbs in the tail light. My 2003 uses 7443 or whatever the Honda/Jap equivalent is.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #11 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Al

Since I bought my VTR-1000 about 2 & 1/2 years ago, I tried to buy LED replacements for the indicators and stop/tail lights. They used the same bulbs as the 919's. Over my way, you can buy complete assmeblies for the tail end but they aren't cheap and everytime I went to buy one, all I ever got was - "I'll have to get one in for you",, and I hated that as they had to be imported which could take a week or two... I also went out and bought many LED bulbs for indicators and stop lights but with the VTR, the indicator bulbs actually face outwards but since the filament lights up in all directions, it didn't matter. Putting an LED bulb in its place meant that all the light from it tried to go outwards from the indicator stem instead of backward where it's needed, so after spending quite a few bucks and finding not enough light was being thrown out, I gave up. These bulbs are pretty common,, expensive but common...

As for the stop lights, BE CAREFUL as to which replacement LED bulbs you get as the push in wedge type ones used by Honda are NOT the same as many cars use. Because I couldn't find any of them at the time, I bought a small box of them once I thought I found them. I thought I would replace my VTR,, my brothers VTR and the Toyota car's stop lights too. Well the car worked fine, but as for the VTR,,, they are ever so slightly different. I tried to slightly modify an LED bulb to get it to fit in, which it did but it worked only intermittently, so once again I gave up...

Since then, I have still looked around and now I have a 919, I can use the 1156 bulbs I bought back then in the 919's indicators as the bulbs face rearward, unlike the VTR,, BUT wait,, I find the 1156 LED bulbs don't quite have the intensity of brightness of the normal bulbs in the indicators. They light up brighter out in the open but once I put the orange lens back on and stand back, both my brother and I agree the normal bulb seems to light up the complete indicator lens whereas the LED bulb appears to want to travel more straight through the lens and light up more in the centre of the lens, thus appearing to be not as bright. As for the stop lights, the same thing as the VTR.. The 919 uses the same as the VTR so I am still stuck with 3157's that I can't use...

I believe the 7443 or one of its derivatives is the correct replacement for Honda wedge type stop light bulbs. The 1157 or one of its derivatives is the bayonet stop tail light bulb replacement - no good. The 1156 is the indicator replacement bulb. When I say "derivatives", I mean it will have a number close to the one you are after BUT may be have a different colour light

Look here...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

post #12 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog512 View Post
How is the visibility during the day, I assume they are better at night than incandescent?
They are plenty visible during day if they are bright enough. Just get bright ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
The problem with a LED>bulb replacement is they are limited angle light. I decided best for a zillion LEDs with Clear Alternative's panel and clear lens. Folks see it!
Agreed! That's what I installed as well... complete with integrated signals. Pretty sweet setup actually. But, LED's in the sockets would be fine if there are enough of them. They make 'em pretty damn bright. I say get 'em and see... not like they are a fortune or 6 hours labor to install.

NOT 1157 in tail lights on 919!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #13 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Al

Sorry MotoCycho,,,

I had to edit and re-edit my reply as I have so many LED bulbs now, I got some of my numbers eg 1156,, 1157,, etc all mixed up. I tipped them all out over the bed and took a good look just now. I hope I now got them right... In short, the 1157 is NO GOOD for Honda stop/tail lights, nor is the 3156/3157. We need a 7443 or similar. There are so many out there... Different contacts, different colours. Cripes, it's enough to have you climbing the walls...

post #14 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

thanks MotoCycho for correcting me i was going off memory but knew i had ordered from the super bight led's before. Sorry dudes! To be honest I don't like any choice of the LED's cause of the limited directional viewing angle of them. They are plenty bright now especially with the 3 watt luxeon ones available, might have to reevaluate those. Good luck!

post #15 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Are there such things in LED world that just replace your stock brakelights?Take old brake light out, put in LED bulb in socket. If so, will they function with "backoff"?
I got the clear alternatives LED board easy as changing a light bulb... you plug it into one of the light sockets and yes it does work with a tail light modulator. I have the Kisan "Tailblazer". Works just fine and the board has a ton of LEDs.

here's the link just scroll down to the 919 board to see what it looks like.

http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...egory_Code=LED

post #16 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Again.. AKAIK.. the 919 does not use 1157 bulbs in the tail light. My 2003 uses 7443 or whatever the Honda/Jap equivalent is.
whoops...I was jumbling too quickly. 7443 it is. There are some available in LEDs. Polarg and Raybrig has a few...but they are pricey for a pair.

post #17 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

correction, polarg and raybrig do not have LEDs in reds anymore. The expensive japanese stuff were available years ago...in red at least. There used to be a set in 7443 that had a pulsating ring around the center running lights by Polarg. Your only options are generic brands around the net.

post #18 of 31 Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I got the clear alternatives LED board easy as changing a light bulb... you plug it into one of the light sockets and yes it does work with a tail light modulator. I have the Kisan "Tailblazer". Works just fine and the board has a ton of LEDs.

here's the link just scroll down to the 919 board to see what it looks like.

http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...egory_Code=LED
+1.5! I have that awesome setup, plus ~8LED ring BL/RL on each rear turn bulb and 5 LEDs on the GIVI box. Still no problem to modulate the Bonus Lights. Tailgaters get the memo and change lanes quickly.

post #19 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Orion,
Do you need a clear taillight lens. How visible are those bad boys?

post #20 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

My experience: http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm = fail

Polarity matters with these leds bulbs... you will have to rewire your sockets oryou may get lucky. Make sure you have a few spare fuses on hand.

These SMT Tower II bulbs proved weak in comparison to the stock filament bulbs behind the OEM lens.

I wouldn't recommend this route.

post #21 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
...Tailgaters get the memo and change lanes quickly...
Tailgaters? Sounds like you need to move over or go faster.
Cages don't get to pass me, & certainly ain't gonna tailgate me, when I am on a motorcycle. That's my rule. I do the passing thank you very much!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #22 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Tailgaters? Sounds like you need to move over or go faster.
Cages don't get to pass me, & certainly ain't gonna tailgate me, when I am on a motorcycle. That's my rule. I do the passing thank you very much!
Good point unless you are the meat in a cage sandwich. We have too much traffic and anxious tailgaters in Cali.

post #23 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Good point unless you are the meat in a cage sandwich. We have too much traffic and anxious tailgaters in Cali.

Noted!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #24 of 31 Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Orion,
Do you need a clear taillight lens. How visible are those bad boys?
No I just used the factory tail lens. IMO the board is a lot brighter than stock bulbs. I don't have any before/after photos or I would post them.

post #25 of 31 Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 AM
hairball919

I, too, want LED tail light bulbs!

I keep noticing how often someone mentioned them being 1157's. Easy mistake, since I just ordered a pair of LED 1157's from an online place AFTER I looked up my 919 and their online catalog said it used 1157's!! So, being an idiot and not actually physically checking my own bulbs before I ordered, I ordered (and got) the wrong bulbs! Went to put them in and...

So, I'm going to keep looking and Googling LED brake/tail lights for the 919. I checked out those ClearAlternatives. $50 for their LED Board. Is this a good price? Are there cheaper online places to buy these?

Even after reading all your very informative posts on this topic, I'm still a bit confused on if I should get clear lenses with red LED's or just use my stock lens and get clear (or even red) LED's. Either way, I want to make the change.

Oh, and what are those things called that make your brake lights flash a few times every time to apply the brakes?

post #26 of 31 Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 AM
hairball919

Just found NICE 7443 LED bulbs!

On e-bay, but still searching! They are Putco brand and are really cool! The LED's shine all around them and at the end, not like bulbs with just LED's on the end and not visible from the sides. Yep, these are cool but spendy: $56 a pair!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Putco-LED-7443-R...QQcmdZViewItem

post #27 of 31 Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 AM
hairball919

Check out this site...

it's thefind.com and I found it with Google. They list 18 different matches for 7443 LED bulbs but the only problem is that I used this site a last week to find a continuous duty solenoid or a little car audio project and found that the prices you see are often VERY OLD, because when you click on a seller their current price comes up. Usually it is as posted but quite often more! So anyway, it won't hurt to check this site. It's basically just a site that shows sites, sort of like shopping.com

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=...+led+7443+bulb

I just got done ordering 2 different LED bulb styles from e-bay: the 360-degree 18-LED bulbs and the cheezy but super cheap type. I figure at least ONE type will do the job! Will keep you all posted on how these work.

post #28 of 31 Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 AM
hairball919

Can't be too careful these days...

So I've already ordered 4 DIFFERENT brands of 7443 LED red bulbs! Why? Am I trippin'? No. Well, maybe!

I just want to use whatever ones actually live up to what they said in their ads. And use whichever are the brightest, show up best from the sides, and look like the best quality. But of the 4 different brands I ordered, I still wasn't quite ready to spend $55 for EACH for the Putco brand.

After I finally get all of them and try each set to find what works best, I'll post my honest opinion in this thread.

post #29 of 31 Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Oh, and what are those things called that make your brake lights flash a few times every time to apply the brakes?
Those are called brake light modulators, and weirdly, I just ordered this one, then saw you ask this...

http://www.vizi-tec.com/HONDA/PRODUCT_HONDA.htm

Hope it works like it says.

Be Safe.

post #30 of 31 Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 AM
hairball919

Thumbs up Cool, thanks!

Clicked on that link and was quite impressed after reading about their product. I think $70 is worth it if it will help idiots behind me SEE that I'm braking or sitting at a light!!

I'm going to order one right away! Thanks again for the link/info!

post #31 of 31 Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 AM
hairball919

Smile Ironic, I must say...

The ONLY Honda they are made for is the Rebel 250 and the 919! Just placed order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode