"Learn to Ride" Brochure Feedback - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

"Learn to Ride" Brochure Feedback

In the Open Bike forum, there is (ultimately) a thread to an AMA brochure on new rider steps. I think that brochure, and some of the other stuff out there, misses one critical element for the novice: visual acuity. This is particularly important on the 919. If I have missed a ton of threads that already address this topic, I apologize.

The balance of the 919 is so novice friendly that in combination with the stock horsepower it offers, it is easy for the novice to overdrive his or her ability to process traffic, or turn, visual input. Additionally, if you are in an area with traffic similar to the idiots in South Florida, you must account not just for what's in front of you, but the maniacs coming up behind you, as well as potential escape routes. This is a lot of information to process VERY quickly-MUCH quicker than OTHER drivers will process your sudden presence in their space.

That AMA link says that one of the rider profiles is middle-aged guy starting up again. I'm 43 and this is my first bike in 23 years (bought in June) so for whatever it is worth:

Personally, I'm still lagging the pack. Keith Code describes seven "Survival Reactions" and, at last count, I have nine.

*%#$#@!!.

For the novice, speaking as a novice, avoid gauging yourself by the speedometer. It's best to focus on what's around you and gauge yourself by bike noise/vibration. As a novice, you really have to appreciate how much distance you can cover, and how much traffic conditions can change, in that second or two that you are tempted to peer down at the speedo.

Personally, I'm very competitive, I STILL DO slip up and check the speedometer, soooooooo...

#&#@&$#$!!!

Anyhoo...

The more I ride and read, however, the less I seem to care about numerical mph on our highways and the more I am driven towards pushing through corners, on/off ramps, etc (this is all we have in SFla). The focus required driving through turns one notch over whatever I've done before is beyond intoxicating.

Again, for whatever it is worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I find myself checking my speedo because I'm almost always going way too fast. I never go too fast for the situation, just too fast for those pesky white and black signs with numbers on them. I'd rather tear down the backroads and carve corners than fly around at unholy speeds on the highway. However, not too many people pass me when I'm on the 9er.

It is a deceptively fast bike. I rode an '07 600RR all last year and you could tell when you were going fast. Keep it in a higher gear and the low end just wasn't there like the 919. And when getting on it it revved really high and just screamed. The 9er will just grunt, pull up the front wheel, and leave you hanging on for dear life. I LOVE IT!!!

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

give it another week or so and we will push a few of those notches... i'll introduce you to "9 turns".. it ain't the tree lined mountain trails most these guys have .... but it will keep you on your toes... lol... i'll show you how to scrape some of the excess peg feelers off that bike... make it feel lighter....lol

post #4 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I never go too fast for the situation, just too fast for those pesky white and black signs with numbers on them.
I don't have the visual acuity to read those pesky signs and am currently asserting in court that my inability to both excessively speed AND read speed limit signs certainly can't be a shortcoming on MY part. Somebody else must be held accountable for this. Consequently, I am suing for unfair prosecution under the disabilities act.

post #5 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nesty, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I had ridden smaller bikes a long time ago and got my 919 over 20 years after I had ridden. Really never rode much on the street back then. I was 45 when I got my 9'er and I was also amazed at how easy and smooth it was to ride. MSF was the best thing I did. Luckily I live in an areas where back roads with little traffic are abundant, so I could get acquainted with the bike and improve my riding skills. One thing I find myself doing is practicing my visual skills all the time even in my car...trying to look ahead as far as possible....looking thru turns, etc... I figure if I do in my car too, I wont have to adjust. I'm also thinking of putting a kill switch and side stand on my car.

post #6 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I don't have the visual acuity to read those pesky signs and am currently asserting in court that my inability to both excessively speed AND read speed limit signs certainly can't be a shortcoming on MY part. Somebody else must be held accountable for this. Consequently, I am suing for unfair prosecution under the disabilities act.
You should be a lawyer! That was pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I'm also thinking of putting a kill switch and side stand on my car.
Didn't Suzuki do that on their small SUVs? I seem to remember a commercial...

I would like to take the KY Motorcycle Safety Course, but I cannot justify the cost. I called them and they told me it would cost approximately $200 to take the course and that I would save $2 per month on insurance. I'd rather take my $200 and buy more protective apparel.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

amen murph, buy the duds man!!

post #8 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i had been riding some 15 years sans license as all that was required in PA a permit that was renewable. anyhow the law was changed and i decided to take the msf course. it was the best thing i could have ever done. i learned so much and it made me a better safer rider and the insurance discount wasa bonus. the upside to the course is it's free in PA.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #9 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 AM
DaveCB919F4

The MSF courses are great. I was an instructor for the Air Force and the state of New Mexico. The 2 weeks I spent in LA becoming an instructor were fantastic. They really pound in some good riding habits. I recently took a class at a local Harley dealer and discovered how lazy I had become in my riding. Only $75 for the experienced rider course. I recommend the class it is worth the time and money.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
give it another week or so and we will push a few of those notches... i'll introduce you to "9 turns".. it ain't the tree lined mountain trails most these guys have .... but it will keep you on your toes... lol... i'll show you how to scrape some of the excess peg feelers off that bike... make it feel lighter....lol

I look forward to it. Lots of sheriffs around these days though. Been riding home for lunch for extra time in the saddle and there was a 6-sheriff roadblock in the middle of my favorite turns. Not really "S" turns so much as a poorly written "I". Guy signalled me over and started screaming f-bombs at me, but no ticket. Apparently there was fatality a few days ago so they are just getting the message out.

Fortunately, I kept my piehole shut. When he said, "How fast were you going? 60?" I almost said, "60? Try north of 80! I've really been practicing!"

post #11 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I almost said, "60? Try north of 80! I've really been practicing!"
when they ask me that i look at them and kinda blurt/shout "38" "i was going 38!... usually shocks them either into laughing.... or tazing me.. 50/50 is as good a odds as i have ever asked for...

and where is the "poorly written I" at?

post #12 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
when they ask me that i look at them and kinda blurt/shout "38" "i was going 38!... usually shocks them either into laughing.... or tazing me.. 50/50 is as good a odds as i have ever asked for...

and where is the "poorly written I" at?
Hey B, you also said "38% chance of the CB1000r" showing up in the US. What's with you and the number 38?

Come to think of it, what's with ME and noticing this kind of crap? Man, I got issues.

Actually, it's Davie cops and sheriffs now all up and down Pine Island from 595 to Sheridan. Too bad, really, because it's novice heaven with alternating 1 mile straights and beginner's curves, particularly Griffin to Sterling, where there are no intersections or driveways (one mile straight), and then Sterling to Sheridan (big slow poorly written "I", might look like an "S" from 800,000 feet up).

post #13 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Hey B, you also said "38% chance of the CB1000r" showing up in the US. What's with you and the number 38?.
nothing why?

i may ride out to that area tomorrow... i like when they are doing that i will just ride back and forth back and look over at them then go and u-turn and keep doing that till i get bored

post #14 of 15 Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I would like to take the KY Motorcycle Safety Course, but I cannot justify the cost. I called them and they told me it would cost approximately $200 to take the course and that I would save $2 per month on insurance. I'd rather take my $200 and buy more protective apparel.
I'd recommend taking MSF's Experienced Rider Course--out here in CA, it's only one day and $75. Well worth the money for the max-effort braking practice alone, in my opinion. There are also great exercises for looking ahead through turns, basic line choice in curves, and swerving practice.

I think of good gear as passive protection, and good training as active protection--and to be a skilled and safe rider, it's good to have both in play.

To the OP: visual acuity seems indeed to be a vital skill in riding (as Keith Code and lots of other experienced folks emphasize). I try to set myself on "perma-scan" rather than "target fixation" for assessing hazards. I'd never make it through a lane-splitting-at-rush-hour-over-the-Bay-Bridge-into-SF run without that skill!

post #15 of 15 Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
One thing I find myself doing is practicing my visual skills all the time even in my car...trying to look ahead as far as possible....looking thru turns, etc... I figure if I do in my car too, I wont have to adjust.
I do the same thing, including trying to "perma-scan" during my runs. Only thing is, my truck is so slow, and feels like it's getting slower and slower!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode